How to make it faster?

Old July 7th 05, 08:51 PM
pete

Default How to make it faster?

Hello

I have just brought a system consisting of:-
Amd athlon 64 r 4800 Dual core
Asus A8N SLI motherboard
4Gb ddr400 ram
250Gb Seagate baracuda sata
Nvidia Fx3400 PciE graphics card
Liteon dual layer dvdrom
Antec 550w psu
Antec performance II case

Can this be made to go faster?

I will get this next week, but I would like to know if it can be improved.

Old July 7th 05, 09:18 PM
SteveH

"pete" wrote in message
Hello

I have just brought a system consisting of:-
Amd athlon 64 r 4800 Dual core
Asus A8N SLI motherboard
4Gb ddr400 ram
250Gb Seagate baracuda sata
Nvidia Fx3400 PciE graphics card
Liteon dual layer dvdrom
Antec 550w psu
Antec performance II case

Can this be made to go faster?

I will get this next week, but I would like to know if it can be improved.

You are joking?

If you haven't got it yet, how can you know you want/need it to go faster?

SteveH

Old July 7th 05, 09:25 PM
Haley

"SteveH" wrote:
"pete" wrote:
Hello

I have just brought a system consisting of:-
Amd athlon 64 r 4800 Dual core
Asus A8N SLI motherboard
4Gb ddr400 ram
250Gb Seagate baracuda sata
Nvidia Fx3400 PciE graphics card
Liteon dual layer dvdrom
Antec 550w psu
Antec performance II case

Can this be made to go faster?

I will get this next week, but I would like to know if it can be improved.

You are joking?

If you haven't got it yet, how can you know you want/need it to go faster?

SteveH

.... and actually, *why* would you ever want it to go faster? That's got to be the
highest-quality configuration I've seen in a while...

Haley

Old July 7th 05, 09:56 PM
pete

ok, for example, would I get any additional benefit by getting another
fx3400 card and running in SLI or get a fx7800?

The Asus motherboard can take a athlon 64 fx57, would this be better than
the one I have brought?

Old July 8th 05, 12:17 AM
Veritech

Pete, maybe your ill.

That system is practically the hotest thing you could possibly buy.

You would have one of the most powerful Desktops availible in the
world(stock speeds wise & raw CPU power), why on earth do you seem dis
content. Your systems got two CPUs for crying out loud! i struggling to keep
my one cool, never mind having two.
My only question is are you sure about the "fx3400" cause i've never heard
of desktop GFx card called that. Check again.

Old July 8th 05, 12:21 AM
DaveW

Well, if speed is the order of the day, I would suggest adding a Western
Digital "Raptor" 10,000rpm SATA 36 GB harddrive to use exclusively as the C:
boot drive for Windows. Then the OS would be operating lightening fast, and
your applications on the 250 GB would not be slowed down when the computer
accesses the OS on the Raptor drive. I set up a similar computer for a
friend this way and it made a big difference.

--
DaveW

Old July 8th 05, 12:52 AM
Cuzman

Veritech wrote:

" My only question is are you sure about the *fx3400" cause i've never
heard of desktop GFx card called that. Check again. "

The Quadro FX3400 is a workstation card.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx.html

With posts like this, you aren't sure whether the OP is trolling or not.
Sure, games that use a single processor will be faster with an FX57,
but only until they bring out more games that utilise dual-core, or
release patches for existing ones. This argument though is futile, as,
if your main aim is gaming, you wouldn't buy a Quadro 3400.

IMO the OP is a bit of a cheapskate for not getting an A8N-SLI Premium,
more hard drives, and some fluffy dice to hang on his monitor.
Old July 8th 05, 01:37 AM
SteveH

"Cuzman" wrote in message
Veritech wrote:

" My only question is are you sure about the *fx3400" cause i've never
heard of desktop GFx card called that. Check again. "

The Quadro FX3400 is a workstation card.
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadrofx.html

With posts like this, you aren't sure whether the OP is trolling or not.
Sure, games that use a single processor will be faster with an FX57, but
only until they bring out more games that utilise dual-core, or release
patches for existing ones. This argument though is futile, as, if your
main aim is gaming, you wouldn't buy a Quadro 3400.

IMO the OP is a bit of a cheapskate for not getting an A8N-SLI Premium,
more hard drives, and some fluffy dice to hang on his monitor.

I think its just talk..

SteveH

Old July 8th 05, 01:42 AM
kony

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:51:30 +0100, "pete"
wrote:

Hello

I have just brought a system consisting of:-
Amd athlon 64 r 4800 Dual core
Asus A8N SLI motherboard
4Gb ddr400 ram
250Gb Seagate baracuda sata
Nvidia Fx3400 PciE graphics card
Liteon dual layer dvdrom
Antec 550w psu
Antec performance II case

Can this be made to go faster?

I will get this next week, but I would like to know if it can be improved.

Amphetamines- The bottleneck is the user.
Old July 8th 05, 07:10 AM
pete

Hey guys!
not just talk or a troll thank you.

I use Cad software for a living, (see I did not mention the name, so not
trolling), and if you wish to get an email showing the invoice, I will
gladly send it to you, (so just not talk).

As I was saying, I use cad software, but I also play games on line (Burn
baby! should give a clue without mentioning the name, still not trolling).

I am not some kid boasting , I am 44, !
Yes it is a great system, that is why I brought it, but so are F1 cars, and
they are always trying to make them better and faster.

Every PC I have brought so far, has never been fast enough for the latest
cad or games software to run at full specs, just look at cad work-stations
going for £5000 +.
Mine comes nowhere near that pricing.

So the questions genuine.

"SteveH" wrote in message