Can I install XP on a Lenovo T410s

Old October 27th 18, 03:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Can I install XP on a Lenovo T410s

My old Lenovo T43 laptop is getting old and needs help. Battery is weak,
keyboard has a few non-working keys, etc. I was gonna buy a new battery
and replacement keyboard, but I am looking into just getting a newer
Lenovo, I can get a T410s for just a little more than the parts for my
old T43 (which is 13 years old).

But this new T410 is sold without the OS.

I dont want Win10 or even 8. I might consider Win7, but it would cost me
more for the OS than the computer cost. I have a XP install CD which is
hacked, so I dont have to register it. I have been using that one for
years. I am happy with XP and dont care about being expired or care
about security. So, XP is just fine with me.

BUT WILL IT INSTALL? On a Intel Core i5-520M 2.40GHz 2GB Ram.????

By the way, is that a 32 or 64 Bit computer?

Old October 27th 18, 04:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
My old Lenovo T43 laptop is getting old and needs help. Battery is weak,
keyboard has a few non-working keys, etc. I was gonna buy a new battery
and replacement keyboard, but I am looking into just getting a newer
Lenovo, I can get a T410s for just a little more than the parts for my
old T43 (which is 13 years old).

But this new T410 is sold without the OS.

I dont want Win10 or even 8. I might consider Win7, but it would cost me
more for the OS than the computer cost. I have a XP install CD which is
hacked, so I dont have to register it. I have been using that one for
years. I am happy with XP and dont care about being expired or care
about security. So, XP is just fine with me.

BUT WILL IT INSTALL? On a Intel Core i5-520M 2.40GHz 2GB Ram.????

By the way, is that a 32 or 64 Bit computer?

Half way down the page.

https://ark.intel.com/products/47341...ache-2-40-GHz-

"Intel 64"

Which means it supports 64 bit OSes if you have one.

WinXP x86, from an instruction set point of view, would
be fine.

I have an E8400 that I'm typing on right now, which is 64 bit,
and this message is coming to you via WinXP x86 (32 bit) SP3.
So yes, no problem from that perspective.

Do you have *drivers* for WinXP on the T410 chipset ?

*Drivers* is your issue.

Check the T410 web page, and see what era the thing is.
The ark page says the CPU is "Launch Date Spring 2010".
The machine was released, while WinXP was still within
the extended support window.

Mainstream support ended on April 14, 2009
Extended support ended on April 8, 2014

But you'll have to chase down the driver issues for
yourself. I don't even know what's in that bucket
of bolts. The naming convention sounds like "PCH era",
and Intel may have cheaped out on drivers.

I tried to install WinXP on my newer machine. When
the BIOS has the SATA port set to "AHCI mode", I need
the "f6flp32.zip" package which has an AHCI/RAID driver
in it. You put the contents (unzip) onto a floppy diskette
and offer that to the OS when the "Press F6" prompt comes up
during WinXP install.

Without the AHCI driver, the install is dead in the water.
It can't talk to the disk drive, without a driver.

Now, if I go to the BIOS and set the chipset to "IDE mode",
the WinXP CD has an in-box driver for IDE mode. Now, it
just works.

A good BIOS offers all these options (IDE, AHCI, RAID).
IDE is good for WinXP (least hassle). The others would work
with W7 or W10.

Having just the disk driver, is enough to kick off
the installation. But, it doesn't finish the install for
you. You need a video card driver for the laptop.

Is there a video card driver for the T410 on the web page, for WinXP ?

Where is that driver coming from ? If it's not on the web
page at Dell, then you'll be doing a *lot* of research
and looking under rocks.

You might well install WinXP, and be staring forever at a
640x480 screen with big blocky letters and no acceleration.
With no video driver, you'll be stuck in VESA mode.

Now, off to the T410 page and check for drivers... Oops.

Paul
Old October 27th 18, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 23:36:25 -0400, Paul
wrote:

I tried to install WinXP on my newer machine. When
the BIOS has the SATA port set to "AHCI mode", I need
the "f6flp32.zip" package which has an AHCI/RAID driver
in it. You put the contents (unzip) onto a floppy diskette
and offer that to the OS when the "Press F6" prompt comes up
during WinXP install.

Or you can slipstream the driver and SP3 into an install CD
using Nlite. Diskette readers are rather rare on laptops.

Without the AHCI driver, the install is dead in the water.
It can't talk to the disk drive, without a driver.

Now, if I go to the BIOS and set the chipset to "IDE mode",
the WinXP CD has an in-box driver for IDE mode. Now, it
just works.

Or that.

A good BIOS offers all these options (IDE, AHCI, RAID).
IDE is good for WinXP (least hassle). The others would work
with W7 or W10.

Having just the disk driver, is enough to kick off
the installation. But, it doesn't finish the install for
you. You need a video card driver for the laptop.

Is there a video card driver for the T410 on the web page, for WinXP ?

Where is that driver coming from ? If it's not on the web
page at Dell, then you'll be doing a *lot* of research
and looking under rocks.

You might well install WinXP, and be staring forever at a
640x480 screen with big blocky letters and no acceleration.
With no video driver, you'll be stuck in VESA mode.

Now, off to the T410 page and check for drivers... Oops.

https://www.snappy-driver-installer.org/

Always go for "stable" or "tested". You might get a hiccup,
but there's an "undo" option.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Lenovo amaze me [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 2 March 2nd 14 11:55 PM
Lenovo vs. Inspiron journey Dell Computers 2 January 21st 07 04:37 PM
Which laptop to choose: Lenovo ThinkPad R60, Lenovo 3000 N100 orHP Compaq Business Notebook nx9420? Jef Driesen General 1 January 17th 07 08:15 PM
is Lenovo ibm? dave Dell Computers 20 November 13th 06 06:10 PM
Lenovo will be using AMD processors in IBM PCs! Yousuf Khan AMD x86-64 Processors 7 December 22nd 04 01:42 AM