Resolution, Aspect Ratio and Monitor Scaling.

Old May 19th 16, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.opengl,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Resolution, Aspect Ratio and Monitor Scaling.

Hello,

My HP 2335 monitor has a default/native/max resolution of 1920 x 1200 so I
assume it's aspect ratio is 1920/1200 = 1.6 so 16 to 10 ? 16:10 ?

The monitor has "image control-custom scaling" build in with the following

1. Fill to screen

2. Fill to Aspect Ratio

3. One to One

Strange thing is when I set games to:

1280x960 and the monitor to fill to screen, only then does it fill the
entire screen.

However 1280x960 has a different aspect ratio: 1.333 ?

If I try another resolution which does have the same aspect ratio as my
screen it does not fill entirely ?! For example:

1280x800 this will produce black bars on top and on the bottom ?!

How can this be ?!

I don't understand this ?!?

Am I wrong somewhere concerning how aspect ratios work/are calculated ???

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 19th 16, 05:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.opengl,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

What's even weirder is this:

I set game/window resolution to 1280x800 which is aspect ratio 16:10 ?

I set monitor to "fill to aspect ratio".

Strange thing is monitor does not fill the entire screen but it has black
borders/bar top/bottom/left/right ?!

Why does it not simply "up scale" 1280x800 to 1920x1600 ? Since it's the
same aspect ratio ???

I guess this produces "half pixels"

1920/1280 = 1.5

1600 / 800 = 2

Hmm I think I went wrong somewhere... with my aspect ratio assumptions...
hmmm...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 19th 16, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.opengl,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

I guess for games to properly scale the game/window resolution in full
screen should be half of what my monitor can handle

So 1920/2 = 960
So 1200/2 = 600

So 960x600 would be required.

I will test this theory in brutal doom or so to see if that is possible.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 19th 16, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.opengl,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Unfortunately brutal doom does not have this resolution available:
960x600... weird...

I will request it in world of warships maybe... but maybe the resolution is
too low...

Are there any other good lower resolutions for my monitor that will keep
circles, circles and not elipses ?!

Bye,
Skybuck !

Old May 19th 16, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.graphics.algorithms,comp.graphics.opengl,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Strangely enough the monitor does not support this "halved" resolution full
screen mode.

It only supports these full screen modes as far as I can tell ?! hmmm
weiiirrddd:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/p...r_na-c00466913

Pixel Format

Scan Frequency and Polarity