Video Card Stops Responding

Old October 8th 15, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shoe[_2_]

Default Video Card Stops Responding

Nvidia GT750 card, 358.50 driver, windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Once
or twice a day the screen goes black for a few seconds and then a
message saying that video driver has stopped responding and has
recovered. This has been happening for some time. I have updated to
the latest driver and have completely removed and re-installed the
driver with no change. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this as I am
getting no other error messages. Any suggestions?
Old October 8th 15, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Shoe wrote:
Nvidia GT750 card, 358.50 driver, windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Once
or twice a day the screen goes black for a few seconds and then a
message saying that video driver has stopped responding and has
recovered. This has been happening for some time. I have updated to
the latest driver and have completely removed and re-installed the
driver with no change. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this as I am
getting no other error messages. Any suggestions?

The failures here, seem to fit two themes.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...screen-issues/

Failures while gaming, stability improves if the
factory overclock is removed. One link off this page
suggests MSI Afterburner as a tool.

*******

At the other end of the spectrum, is idle performance.
At one time, video cards had just two performance levels,
and peak to idle power ratios of 2:1 or so. It's possible
a modern video card has more power states than that. Video
cards can drop to 3W, which is barely enough to keep the
RAM on the card powered.

If that was the case, you would want to find a way to stop
the card from entering the lowest power state. Or change
the frequency or voltage settings associated with that state.
While this particular control doesn't have any options, you
might try fiddling with this.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answe...um-performance

Paul
Old October 8th 15, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shoe[_2_]

On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 10:14:53 -0400, Paul wrote:

Shoe wrote:
[...]

I forgot to mention that I had the same problem with my GT640 so
upgraded to the 750 but did not solve the problem. I briefly tested an
AMD card and had no problems with it.
Old October 8th 15, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Shoe wrote:
[...]

Have you tried driver uninstall, reboot (back to 640x480),
followed by video driver reinstall ? Make sure you have
the new driver in hand, in a folder that is easy to get
to, because running 640x480 with no video driver isn't
that much fun.

The problem with that recipe, is getting the registry cleaned
out. Drivers tend to "remember" old settings in the registry
and the registry does not get flushed. This is a flaw in Microsoft
design, which on uninstallation, should be asking "clean the registry?",
so that the user could answer "Yes" and all your troubles would
be forgotten.

There used to be driver cleaners, but I don't know if there
is a current one you can trust. I used one years ago, just
for kicks.

Paul