Can a AM3 cpu work in a AM2 socket ( Asus M2A-VM ) ?

Old July 10th 10, 12:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
TE Cheah

Default Can a AM3 cpu work in a AM2 socket ( Asus M2A-VM ) ?

Old July 11th 10, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

No, just AM2+ sockets, with recent enough BIOS.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 13th 10, 06:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
TE Cheah

No, just AM2+ sockets, with recent enough BIOS.

M2A-VM's web page says AM3 cpu can work, newest bios
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us
can recognise AM3 cpu. Can Asus be wrong ?

Old July 13th 10, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

On 7/13/2010 10:53 AM, TE Cheah wrote:
No, just AM2+ sockets, with recent enough BIOS.

M2A-VM's web page says AM3 cpu can work, newest bios
http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us
can recognise AM3 cpu. Can Asus be wrong ?

That is most unusual. It is a BETA bios, so not completely tested.

However they list some AM3 cpu's in their cpu support list as working
with that bios:

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

Old July 14th 10, 12:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

Surprise! I checked on a motherboard I used to build 2 people personal
computers, and that AM2 can also take some AM3 cpu's. Maybe this is more
common than I thought, although I don't think it's very well-known.

That one is the Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 with the geforce 6100 chipset.

This makes me happy that they won't need a new motherboard when they
upgrade from their Sempron cpu's.

Old July 14th 10, 12:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

On 7/13/2010 4:51 PM, Ed Light wrote:
Surprise! I checked on a motherboard I used to build 2 people personal
computers, and that AM2 can also take some AM3 cpu's. Maybe this is more
common than I thought, although I don't think it's very well-known.

That one is the Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 with the geforce 6100 chipset.

This makes me happy that they won't need a new motherboard when they
upgrade from their Sempron cpu's.

Oops. No, for bios version it lists N/A. It can take a few Phenom AM2+.

Forget that.

Old July 15th 10, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
TE Cheah

I used to build 2 people personal computers

Do you run a pc shop ? I can't find a shop in USA willing to
mail ( sea / air ) a blu-ray rom to msia, all shops want me
to pay for courier.

Old July 15th 10, 07:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

On 7/15/2010 7:08 AM, TE Cheah wrote:
I used to build 2 people personal computers

Do you run a pc shop ? I can't find a shop in USA willing to
mail ( sea / air ) a blu-ray rom to msia, all shops want me
to pay for courier.

Sorry, no. It was just for 2 people!