Assistance req'd for PC build

Old December 18th 03, 04:34 AM
greg

Default Assistance req'd for PC build

I have a problem with the following components and I cannot get the
system to setup properly. I'm guessing it is either a BIOS / jumper
issue.

--- COMPONENTS ---
MSI KM2M Motherboard
- supports AMD Athlon -
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...il.php?UID=411
Phoenix-AwardBIOS v6.00pg

Athlon 2600+

Antec Sonata Case

LG DVD\CD ROM and CD Burner

RAM - 2 sticks of 1GB, Sync, 133Mhz, CL3, ECC

-------------------------------------
When I started, the processor initially registered as a 1800+.
In the BIOS and Frequency/Voltage Control section, I was able to try
different CPU host/PCI Clock settings and the CPU would be listed as
1800, 1702, 2034, etc., 2100+. At no point did it get close to 2600+.

When the machine was registering as 1800+ or 2100+, I tried to install
Red Hat 9 (shrike) and Windows XP. Both installs failed with differing
errors, but both referred t a hardware error or mismatch. As a test,
Libranet (Debian based) installed and seemed to work fine.

Any suggestions as to where I should start troubleshooting?
Has anyone setup an Athlon XP 2600+ with this version of BIOS
(Phoenix-AwardBIOS v6.00pg)?
Old December 18th 03, 10:58 PM
dustymugs

Hey,

I believe your problem has little to do with the bios. Rather, I'm
willing to bet that the motherboard of yours is unable to fully
support your AMD cpu. The reason for this is simple. According to
your link to the motherboard, the mobo is only capable of supporting
200/266 FSB. The Athlon 2600+ requires 333 FSB support to run at full
speed. So, in reality you are running at 1.53 GHz or the 1800+ cpu
because of the FSB only being at 266. You should really replace your
motherboard for a newer one that supports 333 FSB.

Furthermore, as to your problem with installing an os, try a memory
tester that will check for bad chips in your ram. An easy one for
most people is from microsoft: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Create a boot disk and test it out. If any errors occur in the test,
you could have bad ram.

good luck,
dustymugs