Is there anyway to specify where on physical location files gets burned to?

Old September 23rd 04, 07:02 AM
~Dude17~

Default Is there anyway to specify where on physical location files gets burned to?

Say I have a 100MB file and a 600MB file to burn onto a CD, but I'd
like to place the 100MB file on the outer perimeter of the disc to
increase transfer speed. Is there anyway I can specify burn order with
Nero without doing things like chagning file name?
Old September 23rd 04, 07:08 PM
Mike Richter

~Dude17~ wrote:

Say I have a 100MB file and a 600MB file to burn onto a CD, but I'd
like to place the 100MB file on the outer perimeter of the disc to
increase transfer speed. Is there anyway I can specify burn order with
Nero without doing things like chagning file name?

There's a simple way that wastes about 13 MB: write two sessions with
the files you want near the hub first.

You can try the options your software offers to see whether one does
what you want, but I've not seen an analysis of what 'optimizing for
space' or the others do in Nero.

You can try leaving the first session open in some mastering software,
but I've had very poor results with that in several programs. An open
audio session is fine within its limitations, but adding to an open data
session has left the TOC in odd states (different for each program)
which could not be read reliably.

You can also use packet writing with variable length, letting the first
write complete before starting the second (otherwise, they'll
interleave), then closing to ISO 9660 Level 3. The result will be as you
wish in modern Windows and Mac systems, but not in DOS, Win 3.x or other
OSs. Unfortunately, Ahead's packet program, InCD, won't write
variable-length packets.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old September 23rd 04, 07:50 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Unfortunately, Ahead's packet program, InCD, won't write
variable-length packets.

DirectCD Bug Sanctioned by the Specification

Mike Richter (Friggin ****) splattered (6/21/04):

Recent versions of DCD saved the user one step
when closing a variable-length packet session without
closing the disc: they format for the (presumed) next session
when closing the last.

"Save one step"! But the supposed benefit of the "save" is this:

===================
From: "Bob M"
Subject: Roxio Easy CD Creator & Direct CD 5.0
Date: 3/12/01

DCD 5.0 does not temporarily close CD's
so the session is always open, and most times,
unreadable on ANY CD drive.

They [cRoxio] hope to have a fix very soon
===================

Wow! The DirectCD bug is a "save one step" feature!

As I understand the spec, that's legal

And the DirectCD bug is even sanctioned by the spec, no less!

---------------------------
Wow! What a Friggin' ****!
---------------------------

--------------------------------------

Old September 23rd 04, 08:05 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Roxio ****) splattered:

Unfortunately, Ahead's packet program, InCD, won't write
variable-length packets.

--------------------------------
Why the F%^k use CDR's with UDF?
--------------------------------

From: (GMAN) === Ex cRoxio/Acraptec Beta Tester
Date: 2/21/02

Windows 2000 Cannot Read CD-R Discs Created with DirectCD
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268094

Well then it doesn't conform to UDF standards.
Why doesn't someone sue them for false advertising?

Why the F%^k are you using CDR's with UDF in the first place?

UDF and packet writing software were meant for CDRW to begin with.