CD / DVD don't recognize CDs

Old February 15th 04, 04:07 PM

You might think this is strange, but try leaving a disk in the drive
when you turn it on. I had a Sony DVD reader that would not be found
about 1/2 the time in WinXP but on the dual boot setup Win98se find it
everytime. I found if I left a cd or a DVD in the drive, then Win XP
would find the dvd. I finally traded it for a Liteon dvd and it works
everytime without having to leave a disk in the drive. In my opinion,
it was just a problem with XP and Sony.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:40:20 +0100, "©¿©¬"
wrote:

Gone through the painstaking procedure step by step.
The net results is the same as yesterday.
The secondary Master CD/DVD player recognizes the CD tiltle and the list of
contents - That's all. But it takes extremely long time to do so !!!
The secondary Slave CD Burner - Nothing (Same as before).

PS: BIOS/DMA/DIP SWITCHES are correctly set.

Back to square one

Rgds
Tommy

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Firstly; thanks for the sensitivity; not to me; to MR...

I think the key in what you said was you still found Two drive instances
in device manager. Try deleting *all* the drive references; shutdown;
remove drive data and power cables; reboot then note that no CD devices
are presently installed; reboot again and note the same but check
applicable BIOS options first; shutdown and hook the cables back up
noting that the dip switches on drive are set as you need for
channel/DMA/master/slave; reboot; you hopefully will only have one
occurrence of the device...

Tim K

"©¿©¬" wrote in message
. ..
Hi Tim,

This is not the first time I delete the drive and reboot.
You're right on, the first thing I did was just that in the Device

Manager.
The drive was re detected, but no change. Only this time I stumbled on

this
and found each drive was listed twice : Available and Not Available.

I'm desperate to get at least one drive working to reinstall clean

W2K. At
this stage I appreciate any help I can get.

So please HELP.

PS : I also hate defamation and try to SNIP it out.
This NG is for the exchange of W2K tips ONLY.
Mind you there is plenty of SMHs in every NG.

Thanks again
Tommy

"Tim Kroesen" wrote in message
ink.net...
Simply deleting any references in 'device manager' Win systems

causes CD
hardware to be redetected and associated with the correct drivers

again
when you reboot. It is one of the *usual* first basic steps to

repair
CD device trouble; before you start screwing around with the

registry
and tearing your hair out and all...

I'd have helped you out earlier if you hadn't been quoting all that

SMH
psychosis, propagating the defamation of MR, for everyone to read

who
has that a'hole killfiled too. Thanks for not including it here.

Tim K

"©¿©¬" wrote in message
. ..
Hi SMH,

Right after my detailed posting, I tried something esle that made

my
DVD
works couple of times. This is how:

- My Computer
- Manage
- Storage
- Removable Storage
- Physical Locations

There I found my two drives each listed two times, once with with

RED
button and white X on it (Not available), and the second time

normal.
They
all showed "Empty" even if I have CD inside.

I deleted the RED entries, Reboot, Retry Encyclopedia CD, Refresh
Drives...
BINGO it works.
Had harder time to get it to read the second original CD "Age of
Mythology",
but it recongnized the title at least which is improvement over
nothing. The
two week old burner didn't work at all !!!

If anything this proves to me it is Software not Hardware.

Back to my question if I format the HD to do clean install.

What is the risk it will/won't recognize W2K install CD ?

PS: Have Win98 startup and W2K 4 floppies

TIA

Old February 16th 04, 07:58 PM
©¿©¬

wrote in message
You might think this is strange, but try leaving a disk in the drive
when you turn it on. I had a Sony DVD reader that would not be found
about 1/2 the time in WinXP but on the dual boot setup Win98se find it
everytime. I found if I left a cd or a DVD in the drive, then Win XP
would find the dvd. I finally traded it for a Liteon dvd and it works
everytime without having to leave a disk in the drive. In my opinion,
it was just a problem with XP and Sony.

Done that, but unfortunately it doesn't work for my famous PC.

Honestly, all I want now is to clean install new OS, but How ?

Tommy