Recommended inexpensive CD-RW/DVD-R

Old July 9th 06, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
zmike6

Default Recommended inexpensive CD-RW/DVD-R

My Plextor 401240A has expired after about 3.5 years of use (error
code 9, pickup failed to move properly). Assuming I can't fix it,
I'll need a replacement drive. Since this system is old anyway, it
doesn't make sense to go top dollar again. So I'm thinking about
picking up a cheap "Lite On" CDRW/DVD ROM unit. Is Lite On still
popular as a decent buget unit or should I look at other brands?
Old July 9th 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

All the good drives are cheap. LiteOn isn't one of them.

Go for a NEC or LG if you want the best balance of quality and speed for DVD
burning. If you only want to burn CD's, then stay with a LiteOn CDRW.

You shouldn't pay more than $60 for a DVDRW, $30 for a CDRW.

Old July 9th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Peter van der Goes

"zmike6" wrote in message
My Plextor 401240A has expired after about 3.5 years of use (error
code 9, pickup failed to move properly). Assuming I can't fix it,
I'll need a replacement drive. Since this system is old anyway, it
doesn't make sense to go top dollar again. So I'm thinking about
picking up a cheap "Lite On" CDRW/DVD ROM unit. Is Lite On still
popular as a decent buget unit or should I look at other brands?

I've had excellent results from NEC DVD+-RW drives. You'll find them at
Newegg for $40.

Old July 10th 06, 03:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Fred Blau

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:23:24 UTC, "Peter van der Goes"
wrote:

I've had excellent results from NEC DVD+-RW drives. You'll find them at
Newegg for $40.

Newegg offers both OEM and slightly more expensive retail DVD
burners. I assume the OEM comes with no software. Is the Nero
that is bundled with the retail burners decent, or is it better to
buy the OEM burner and buy better software separately?

--
Fred Blau
(Change "s@" to "systematics@")
Old July 10th 06, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Seth Goodman

In article 4Stwbgee45cn-pn2-d5fDx2JziBf7@localhost, on Mon, 10 Jul
2006 14:21:48 GMT, Fred Blau wrote:

Newegg offers both OEM and slightly more expensive retail DVD
burners. I assume the OEM comes with no software. Is the Nero
that is bundled with the retail burners decent, or is it better to
buy the OEM burner and buy better software separately?

Newegg's OEM burners may come with software. My OEM Liteon came with
Nero Express 6 and PowerDVD 6. What I didn't get was a cable (had one),
instruction manual (available on-line), Liteon box (who cares?), or
alternate faceplates and bezels (I ordered the correct color OEM unit).

--
Seth Goodman