Wonky DVD Burner

Old April 13th 12, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rhino[_3_]

Default Wonky DVD Burner

I am not particularly strong with hardware so I hope someone here can get me
going in the right direction.

I replaced my old DVD burner with a new SATA one a few months back. It's
been working fine so far but now it's starting to act up. Just now, I was
trying to burn a DVD-RW. I put the disk in the drive, which I have labelled
within Windows as my W: drive (W=Write), and waited for My Computer to show
me the contents of the drive. There was substantial whirring but after a
long wait, still no disk contents. Finally, I got fed up with waiting and
put in a different DVD-RW. Another long wait and still no joy. I tried it
again with twice with more DVD-RWs. Still nothing. When I go to My Computer,
I get nothing at all; it's not showing ANY of the hard drives or my DVD
burner or anything else. There's just an hourglass when I move the mouse
over that window. If I click the red X, I get a "not responding" message.
Being very patient doesn't help. Trying a different disk doesn't help. I'm
not sure what else to do to resolve this situation.

Device manager has no warning or error flags. Windows says the device is
working. I tried running the Hardware Update Wizard to update the drivers;
it's been spinning its wheels for a couple of hours now. If I press Cancel
or Back, the button press is just ignored. Task Manager shows INCDsrv.exe
using roughly 22% of the CPU.

I don't hear any drive activity and haven't for some time. Ending the
INCDsrv.exe process doesn't stop the wheel-spinning in Hardware Update
Wizard. My Computer is "not responding" when I try it again.

I haven't made any hardware changes since I installed the DVD burner before
Christmas.

I'm really not sure what to do or try next. Can anyone give me some
suggestions?

I'm running the ASUS M3A motherboard. I have Windows XP SP3 as my OS.

--
Rhino

Old April 13th 12, 03:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Rhino wrote:
[...]

"How to remove INCD without removing Nero"

http://www.ehow.com/how_5175459_rid-incd.html

You're probably going to need to reboot, and then assess what to do next.
If the system is badly hosed, you might need to use System Restore, to
copies of the Registry files, among other things.) Or, if you have a
recent backup of C:, maybe that could be used to return sanity.

Once the "update the drivers" and "wheel-spinning" is stopped, then
you can try the ehow.com suggestion (i.e. to disable INCDsrv so it
isn't started on the next reboot).

Paul
Old April 13th 12, 02:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rhino[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message
Rhino wrote:
[...]

The reboot alone seems to have solved the problem. Everything seems fine
now. Just another moment of weirdness from Windows....

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul!

--
Rhino