New drives don't recognize old-stock media

Old June 8th 11, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
whit3rd

Default New drives don't recognize old-stock media

For a casual backup operation, I recently loaded a CDRW blank into my
iMac; it ejected after a few seconds. Every time. Thinking there might
be a problem with the blank, I tried a second, and a third.
They all ejected.
Maybe it was a bad batch? I found some old burned disks from the
same batch, and loaded one or two: they read out normally.
I have an external DVD burner from years back, so I powered it
up... and it also rejected these blanks.
But, I know the blanks worked BEFORE that; rummaging through the
pile I find a CDRW drive from a previous generation and NOW
the disk is writeable.

The newer drives, Pioneer DVR-105 and Matsu****a UJ-825,
are probably unequipped with the first generation CDRW (2x)
recording algorithm, and won't even report the media characteristics
to the burner software. They just eject the (new old stock) disk.

The badge "ReWriteable UltraSpeed" is seen on misbehaving drives,
but "ReWriteable HighSpeed" is on the drive that can write CDRW (2x).

This kind of incompatibility is disturbing... I've always assumed my
pencils will write on ANY paper I can find, and that technology
never lets me down.
They say optical disk is the "new papyrus" - HAH!
Old June 9th 11, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike S.

With write-once media being dirt-cheap, I stopped buying all types of
rewriteable media ages ago. Too unreliable even when they "work".

Old July 13th 11, 05:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

whit3rd wrote:

[...]

Space is limited to store media id strings and write strategies in
256K(?) rom. Good thing the discs are ejected without writing anything
which surely would have resulted in coasters.

Also if the problem discs are virgin 2x, that is nothing has ever been
written to, then they may have exceeded shelf life which is 5-10 years.
Old July 13th 11, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

"Mike S." wrote:

With write-once media being dirt-cheap, I stopped buying all types of
rewriteable media ages ago. Too unreliable even when they "work".

Maybe too unreliable for you. When Mikey was shilling for Take Two
before the reports of DirectCD bugs started pouring in:

=======================
From: Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
Subject: A note on Take Two
Date: 9/1/99

For Take Two to work ideally, your drive must support
packet writing and you must have DCD installed...to do it.

You may back up ... to a DCD-formatted erasable.
=======================

Imagine for Take Two, supposedly a backup software, to work "ideally" no
less, it must use supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, faulty,
unreliable packet writing format!

Moreover, the supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, faulty, unreliable
packet writing format was good enough for BACKUP, even when combined
with supposedly *inherently* flaky, fragile, forgetful, unreliable cd-rw
media!

Thinkpad 600e -- Win98se don't recognize my new 40GB hd [email protected] Storage (alternative) 7 January 13th 06 08:37 AM
Help - new fujitsu 4120c2 scanner - programs don't recognize [email protected] Scanners 2 September 15th 05 11:49 PM
RADEON 5.7 Drivers Still Don't Recognize Some Monitors CHANGE USERNAME to westes Ati Videocards 1 July 25th 05 11:01 PM
CD / DVD don't recognize CDs ©¿©¬ Cdr 11 February 16th 04 08:58 PM
CD RW & DVD players don't recognize nor read CDs or DVDs !!! ©¿©¬ Cdr 0 February 1st 04 06:39 PM