Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"

Old September 5th 06, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. T.

Default Norton Ghost 9.0 and new SATA drive "copy one drive to another"

Hi dear all:

I just used Norton Ghost 9.0 to backup the whole hard drive from my my
old 150GB EIDE HDD to my new 320GB SATA HDD, and these are the options
that I selected (X means checked):

X Check source for file system errors
X Check destination for file system errors
X Resize drive to fill unallocated space
X Set drive active (for boothing OS)

I also set the Destination partition type to be "Primary partition"
(but didn't assign drive letter), and for advanced configuration
option, I also checked the "Copy MBR"

The copying process went smoothly, however, after I backup the HDD,
turn off the PC, and unplug the 150 EIDE old HDD (so that the only
drive available is the new SATA 320GB HDD), and reboot it again, the
windows XP Pro will prompt me if I want to have a normal start or
command line start (behave like you didn't turn off the PC correctly,
which I did), and if I select the "normal start", it will load the
Windows XP Pro logo, and after few seconds, reboot the whole PC again.
If I choose the command line (or safe mode), it will load up to
gagp30kx.sys driver and then freeze. If I connect both drive (EIDE and
SATA), it will also keep rebooting itself, however, if I unplug the new
SATA drive, everything back to normal and I could boot into XP Pro
again...

Any idea why is this?? Is there any other walk-around for solving this
problem? Many thanks!

Old September 5th 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

T. T. wrote:
[...]

Because the install on the 150G drive doesnt have the drivers
for the SATA drive installed, so it cant boot the SATA drive alone.

Is there any other walk-around for solving this problem?

Work around.

Boot the XP CD and do a repair install on the SATA drive with
only the SATA drive plugged in. Thats not the same thing as the
R option you see when you boot the CD, operate as if you are
doing a clean install on the drive, dont format the partition, tell
it to install where it is already installed. The install will say that
its found a previous install and offer to repair it. Accept that.

Old September 5th 06, 07:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SpamBox

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
T. T. wrote:
[...]

Or plug in both drives and boot from the old 150Gb. XP will then detect the
new drive and install the relevant drivers. Next simply power off, remove
your old drive and boot from the new.

Glenn

Old September 5th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

SpamBox wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T. T. wrote

[...]

On the 150G drive.

Next simply power off, remove your old drive and boot from the new.

Wont help with the SATA drivers on the 150G drive that isnt connected anymore.

Old September 6th 06, 07:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SpamBox

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
SpamBox wrote
Rod Speed wrote
T. T. wrote

[...]

Correct - I missed a step out. Once you have booted with both drives, simply
re-Ghost the old drive to the new and the drivers for it will be present.

Glenn