Help please, adding 2nd drive...

Old March 22nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Default Help please, adding 2nd drive...

Hello-

HP Pavilion a1310n, using XP Home.

This PC came with a 200g hard drive - 190g as drive C- NTFS, the rest (10g)
as drive D recovery, Fat32.
This drive is SATA...

I have a 40g, 7200, ATA drive I tried adding on but for some odd reason boot
up is incredibly slow - a minute or so just to get to the Windows splash
screen...

I believe the jumpers are set right, as it had not booted at all. Also,
BIOS is set properly to recognize C as the boot drive..

Any ideas what may be slowing things down or where to double check...

I apologize for the cross-post as I am unsure where the issue lies... thank
you!

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie

Old March 22nd 06, 03:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Perhaps the ATA drive is faulty?
How have you jumpered it?
What do you see in Disk Management - once PC has booted

Old March 22nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Uncle Vinnie wrote:

HP Pavilion a1310n, using XP Home.

This PC came with a 200g hard drive - 190g as drive C- NTFS, the
rest (10g) as drive D recovery, Fat32.
This drive is SATA...

I have a 40g, 7200, ATA drive I tried adding on but for some odd
reason boot up is incredibly slow - a minute or so just to get
to the Windows splash screen...

I believe the jumpers are set right, as it had not booted at all.
Also, BIOS is set properly to recognize C as the boot drive..

Any ideas what may be slowing things down or where to double
check...

I apologize for the cross-post as I am unsure where the issue
lies... thank you!

Then you should have set follow-ups to the one group that you will
monitor for replies. Not knowing where you posted from, I have
done so to a.c.h.

I doubt the jumpers are set correctly. You didn't bother to
specify the drive manufacturers, types, etc. and the jumper
settings on each. How do you know the bootup is slow? Maybe it
takes that long to do its memory check, which depends on how much
memory you have and how it is checked.

More details at: http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/
Also see http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

Old March 22nd 06, 04:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

$DRIFT ON

[Previous Followup-To: ignored.]

CBFalconer wrote:
Uncle Vinnie wrote:

HP Pavilion a1310n, using XP Home.

[deleted]
I apologize for the cross-post as I am unsure where the issue
lies... thank you!

Then you should have set follow-ups to the one group that you will
monitor for replies. Not knowing where you posted from, I have
done so to a.c.h.

I (strongly) disagree! Readers should not have to subscribe to another
group, just because you happen to think it's more appropriate!

When posting a 'base' posting (i.e. starting a new thread), *that*
poster has the responsibility of selcting as few and as on-topic
groups as possible. *After* that decision has been made, it's only
reasonable to redirect if a group or a number of groups is/are totally
off-topic. Since that's clearly not the case here, your re-direct was
inappropriate.

$DRIFT OFF

[deleted]
Old March 24th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Sorry it took this long to get back to you -

The 2000G is a Samsung SP2004C, set as Master.
The 40G is a WD Caviar, also set as Master.

The reason I set them as Master, is because they are each on their own
'cable' or channel...

Is this incorrect?

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie

Old March 24th 06, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

"Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
news
Sorry it took this long to get back to you -

The 2000G is a Samsung SP2004C, set as Master.
The 40G is a WD Caviar, also set as Master.

The reason I set them as Master, is because they are each on their own
'cable' or channel...

Is this incorrect?

--
B'rgds,

snipped

Yes it's wrong if the WD is the only drive on its cable. WD drives
have a single setting also. They are the only ones that have that.

Old March 28th 06, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Bingo.. that was it...

I removed the jumper (Master), now no jumpers, and all boots up great..

Thank you Pen!

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie
. ..

Old March 28th 06, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Odd thing, all runs fine except that Windows is labeling it under
hardware/device as 'Disk Drive', not by name...

BIOS sees it as a WD, and Windows device ID shows it as a WD... how do I
correct this, thanks!

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie
"Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
Bingo.. that was it...

I removed the jumper (Master), now no jumpers, and all boots up great..

Thank you Pen!

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie
. ..

Old March 28th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Never mind- all fixed- quick Windows uninstall, then reinstall was all that
was needed...

All works well, thank you!

--
Brads,

Vinnie
"Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
Odd thing, all runs fine except that Windows is labeling it under
hardware/device as 'Disk Drive', not by name...

BIOS sees it as a WD, and Windows device ID shows it as a WD... how do I
correct this, thanks!

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie
"Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
Bingo.. that was it...

I removed the jumper (Master), now no jumpers, and all boots up great..

Thank you Pen!

--
B'rgds,

Vinnie
"Pen" wrote in message
. ..

"Uncle Vinnie" wrote in message
news Sorry it took this long to get back to you -

The 2000G is a Samsung SP2004C, set as Master.
The 40G is a WD Caviar, also set as Master.

The reason I set them as Master, is because they are each on their own
'cable' or channel...

Is this incorrect?

--
B'rgds,

snipped

Yes it's wrong if the WD is the only drive on its cable. WD drives
have a single setting also. They are the only ones that have that.

Changing Harddrives whilst PC includes a RAID Array D Storage (alternative) 10 November 25th 05 12:05 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Question about transfer speeds between HDs, and DMA mode ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 25 July 25th 04 09:56 PM
Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found brandon General Hardware 5 July 18th 04 11:39 PM
Need *HELP* retrieving data off failed hard drive - sources of info greatly appreciated Stellijer Storage (alternative) 36 December 19th 03 08:53 PM