Xeon

Old May 2nd 04, 02:30 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

Default Xeon

Board = Asus PC-DL Deluxe
No parts @ all, I will even have to get the parts for the HSF before I can
put them on.
Question, which one. Or, should I say which two.
Should I get 2.66 GHz Xeon's? Or should I get 2.8 GHz
I want to get 3.2 GHz or so, and am I thinking on the right line to only get
(DDR266)
I'm thinking if I get (DDR333) That the board won't take overclocking the
ram that far.
I just won't to get the best bandwith I can from both CPU & RAM.
Thanks Much in advanced.
Denny. :-) Never going to grow up @ 33Years Old. :-)

Old May 2nd 04, 09:10 PM
Steve Wolfe

Question, which one. Or, should I say which two.
Should I get 2.66 GHz Xeon's? Or should I get 2.8 GHz

Having owned and used dual-CPU machines that have ranged from dual
Pentium 133's to Dual 2.8 GHz Xeons, and even a quad P3-Xeon in the mix, I'd
probably go with the 2.66's if money was at all an issue.

The 2.8's will only get you an extra 5% in CPU cycles, something that's
not worth the extra $100 to me. Besides, with both CPU's contending for 533
MHz memory bandwidth, you'll likely run into bandwidth limitations before
you come close to CPU limitations!

You'll love the dually. Really. Once you've used a dual-CPU workstation,
going back to a single-proc is tough. At work, my "daily driver" machine is
a dual AthlonMP 1800+. Right now I'm on an AthlonXP 2500+, clocked just
above XP 3200+ levels. For playing games, this single-proc is definitely
better, but for a business setting, the dual MP1800+ is actually nicer.

steve

Old May 3rd 04, 11:34 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"Steve Wolfe" wrote in message
[...]

I Thank You much...
Xeon 2.66 I think is the way I'm going then, and ddr266, I'm sure it will
help, most (DDR266) Can be overclocked
to (DDR333)
There are some that can go further, but it's not every day that you can find
ram like mine.
Running 188.4 MHz by CPU-Z, I don't remember what it's bused @, but this
stuff is PC2100 / (DDR266) Memory.
I looked back @ my post, I just ""won't"" to get the best bandwith I can