Wide open question on Motherboard

Old June 24th 03, 12:05 AM
ray hartman

Default Wide open question on Motherboard

BigJ:

I'm cueing on your phrase "... very stable ...". Fagedabout new ASUS
mobos as their QC has gone titsup. Read the howling over at the ASUS NG
yourself. Otherwise, I run two rock_solid, robust P4 systems.
1)Older and less able is a DDR333/400mHz_fsb ASUS_P4S333/P4@2a.
No HT support, but will upgrade to the 2.6_P4 & loves RedHat.
2)Newer is an INTEL which supports HT and the
3_gig (3.2??) P4. Bulletproof WinBox.
Quick, forgiving, modestly priced and flexible, either system will make
sleeping peacefully depend only on the galfriend ...

ray hartman
******************

John wrote:

I have built a few AMD systems. I have always used epox motherboards and
been very satisfied. I had read at some time though they built a better
motherboard for AMD than pentium. I am thinking of building my first pentium
system. I guess everything will be very similar except mounting of heat
sink. I know this is a wide open question, but I was not sure what the
overall opinions were on a very stable motherboard for a pentium, Looked at
intel, asus, epox, any other suggestions would be helpful. THinking of
building a P4 system and get the chip with hyperthreading. Anything else You
folks could enlighten me on would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old June 25th 03, 07:21 PM
neon

I've been through a slew of Asus & Abit boards. These last few years, the
Abit boards bite the dust after a year (no overclocking). After switching
over to Intel boards I discovered what "troublefree" computing was all
about. I've had great success with their D815 and D845 series of boards,
and am looking forward to getting a D875 based solution topped off with a
nice 3ghz 800mhz FSB HT enabled Processor. My present D845PEBT2 is a real
performer with 100% stability. I also love their bios flash
method......download the file, run it from within windows, reboot....and
play.
My AMD experience has been great with MSI.

Old June 27th 03, 04:44 PM
Hermes Conrad

Have a look at this:
http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/produ...IRG/ALTAIR.htm