RAID Problem Adaptec 1210SA and Western Digital WD800JB 80GB Drives

Old October 20th 04, 12:51 PM
Hehirman

Default RAID Problem Adaptec 1210SA and Western Digital WD800JB 80GB Drives

Can anyone help?

I have two brand new Western Digital WD800JB 80GB SATA drives that I'm
trying to setup in a RAID 0 using an Adaptec 1210SA PCI hostraid
controller in an AMD 3000+ rig with 512MB and simple graphics card.

I have been at this for weeks and cannot get the setup to work. The
Adaptec BIOS sees the drives fine and will enable the creation of a
RAID 0 stripe, however, when I load Windows XP (or 2000), setup
completes but I then reboot to get a blue-screen telling me to remove
any newly added disk controllers!

Frist I tested the setup in another PC (this time intel) with exactly
the same problem, then sent the SATA RAID back for a replacement. In
the meantime I tested the drives on different SATA controller both
drives work fine.

Tech support at Adaptec just keep telling me to 'Flash' things, and,
now that I'm running out of things to 'Flash', I was wondering if
anyone has seen this behaviour before and could provide any
suggestions?

Ben H
----------------------------------
RTG - Network and hardware support
Old October 20th 04, 08:36 PM
ted msn

"Hehirman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

there is an option on windows setup very near the start that says press f6
(its only up for about 5 seconds) to load addition drivers for controller
cards or some thing like that at that point you place the correct flopy disk
in and select the device you have.
You may well have to off load the correct driver bits from the CD that came
with the 1210 if you have not yet done it.
The docs folder that came with my 2410SA card say how to create the floppy
disk and how to set up a new windows setup I would assume your card did too?

As the drives work fine in another system (that already has the correct
drivers loaded?) I would assume its the missed setup option that is causing
the prob? blink and you miss it!
regards
ted