Personal Disaster Recovery and Backup Solutions

Old September 15th 03, 01:10 PM
John McCabe

Default Personal Disaster Recovery and Backup Solutions

I'm not sure this is the most appropriate newsgroup but I imagined
that the people reading this list would be the best people to ask
about this.

I've had an Iomega Ditto Max drive for a number of years now running
on Windows 98. It is, to say the least, inconsistent and, to say the
most, pretty useless really so I'm looking for an alternative backup
solution based on CD (or ultimately DVD).

If any of you use any reasonably priced applications you can recommend
could you please let me know.

So far something like NovaStor's NovaBackup and InstantRecovery sounds
like the sort of thing I'm looking for but I'd love to hear of
alternatives.

Thanks in advance for all your help, and I hope this is felt to be an
appropriate question for this group.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'
Old September 18th 03, 05:48 PM
John McCabe

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 02:46:06 GMT, Faeandar wrote:

My guess is that most people on this list deal with Corporate storage
issues but you can always ask.

CDRWIN has worked nicely for me in the past as has Easy CD Creator.
They probably have a dvd version by now as well. Pretty much all you
want to do is backup data so any app that will write to cd or dvd
would be fine. To pay for an app that will do an image based recovery
of a home system just seems overkill to me.

I have a lot of installed applications and customised settings. If
something goes wrong, I don't really want to spend 3 weeks just
reinstalling the apps and getting them back the way I want so, under
those terms, it really isn't overkill.

Old September 19th 03, 11:07 AM
John McCabe

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:43:19 GMT, Faeandar wrote:

You can still backup the app's by folder, you just won't get registry
info.

And of course I could back up the registry I suppose. I would just
like to have the facility to get something else to decided, using the
archive attribute, whether something needs backing up or not!

I have alot of stuff too so I understand what you want, I just can't
justify it since my home computer is used mostly for gaming, the apps
are just for show....

LOL!

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Recovering from Xpress Recovery FelixC Gigabyte Motherboards 0 August 14th 04 04:38 PM
Backup My PC - Tech Support Jim T. General 5 June 4th 04 05:28 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
What are the advantages of RAID setup? Rich General 5 February 23rd 04 08:34 PM
NTI Drive Backup Behavior Earl F. Parrish Cdr 0 January 13th 04 02:11 AM