Best Digital and SLR Digital Cameras

Old January 29th 05, 05:04 PM
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Best Digital and SLR Digital Cameras

Somewhat off topic so please excuse me but up to now I have been
persuaded that the best Digital camera was an SLR Digital. A friend
tells me that provided you don't want to change lenses you don't need an
SLR, if so, which cameras would you buy right now.
Can someone comment on that please, thank you.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old January 29th 05, 05:41 PM
Paul Heslop

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Somewhat off topic so please excuse me but up to now I have been
persuaded that the best Digital camera was an SLR Digital. A friend
tells me that provided you don't want to change lenses you don't need an
SLR, if so, which cameras would you buy right now.
Can someone comment on that please, thank you.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

damn, you're trying to cover some huge ground here. Simple. If you're
serious and have the cash go for a full blown slr, if not then go for
something more compact and easy to use. Money really does come into it
but there are many considerations such as zoom lenses and macro, auto
and manual settings.

You could use somewhere like http://www.dcviews.co.uk/cameras.htm for
breakdowns of particular models and just how good they are, often with
example pictures and so forth, pay particular attention to the ratings
for different things they give and the conclusions near the end of
each review.

You could also try one of the digital groups, such as
rec.photo.digital if you want first hand advice from users. My own
digi is too old for me to advise on particular models but luckily for
you more is available for a lot less now.
--
Paul (Lenny Bruce is not afraid)
Stop and Look
Old January 29th 05, 09:05 PM
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Paul Heslop
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

Somewhat off topic so please excuse me but up to now I have been
persuaded that the best Digital camera was an SLR Digital. A friend
tells me that provided you don't want to change lenses you don't need an
SLR, if so, which cameras would you buy right now.
Can someone comment on that please, thank you.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

damn, you're trying to cover some huge ground here.

I know, I know and hopefully my apology at the start has been accepted.
To be truthful I was too lazy to go and subscribe to a dedicated
photography newsgroup and all I would get there would be so called
expert opinions which always seem to differ. It was those selfsame
experts years ago who told me to keep my SLR Contax against my better
judgement, (which I did), when even I could see the way things were
going.

I feel that I have more in common with my fellow IT colleagues here who
are doing a bit of photography "on the side" and who will have made up
their minds after having gone through all the "bump" and made a
decision. Having read the advice from you so far I feel I am correct in
this and its worth even risking the wrath of those who are offended by
my OT query. Thank you so much for you kind advice.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old January 29th 05, 10:47 PM
Paul Heslop

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
=

In message , Paul Heslop
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

[...]

I can understand where you're coming from. When I first took up
digital, hence creative photography I knew my budget was small and
even the programs I used for enhancement would probably be freebies
etc. I started off cheerfully with my bargain cam (a small Olympus 2mb
point and shoot, reduced from =A3250 to =A3150) but realised quickly it
was going to cost a bit more for nimh batteries and memory cards. Then
i joined a group and started asking questions and sure enough out came
the "If you can't afford it don't do it!" brigade. i did find some
useful advice though and that site I pointed you to does some very
good reviews. This one also usually has consumer reviews which can be
a good guide, though they aren't usually as fussy about high end stuff
http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/

-- =

Old January 30th 05, 08:55 AM
Graham Mayor

The best digital camera is the one that does what you want at the price you
are prepared to pay. FWIW I have superb film camera outfits from Nikon and
Canon. The results they produce are outstanding. But in my pocket is a Canon
Digital Ixus camera - and that's the point. Because it is in my pocket it is
available when I need it. The picture quality is quite acceptable for
everyday work - certainly good enough for producing prints up to A4 size and
for illustrating my web site. But none of this has anything to do with the
subject matter of this newsgroup

--

Graham Mayor

Paul Heslop wrote:
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

In message , Paul Heslop
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

[...]

point and shoot, reduced from £250 to £150) but realised quickly it

Old January 30th 05, 11:15 AM
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Paul Heslop
writes
Graham Mayor wrote:

The best digital camera is the one that does what you want at the price you
are prepared to pay. FWIW I have superb film camera outfits from Nikon and
Canon. The results they produce are outstanding. But in my pocket is a Canon
Digital Ixus camera - and that's the point. Because it is in my pocket it is
available when I need it. The picture quality is quite acceptable for
everyday work - certainly good enough for producing prints up to A4 size and
for illustrating my web site. But none of this has anything to do with the
subject matter of this newsgroup

--

Graham Mayor

he DID say OT :O)

Thank you for that, however, surely a camera, (especially a digital), is
an instrument that produces a product, (photos), that causes us to use
the subject of this NG, (burning issues), and that therefore is not
"entirely" off topic, yes, no? I await correction.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old January 30th 05, 12:41 PM
Paul Heslop

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

In message , Paul Heslop
writes
Graham Mayor wrote:

[...]

well, I certainly burn all my pics to cd, so yes, I would have to
agree that digital cams are relevant
Old January 30th 05, 02:13 PM
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Paul Heslop
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:

In message , Paul Heslop
writes
Graham Mayor wrote:

[...]

Vindicated!! Thank you, QED;-))
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old January 30th 05, 03:45 PM
Noik

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:13:35 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

Thank you for that, however, surely a camera, (especially a digital), is
an instrument that produces a product, (photos), that causes us to use
the subject of this NG, (burning issues), and that therefore is not
"entirely" off topic, yes, no? I await correction.
--
Derrick Fawsitt

well, I certainly burn all my pics to cd, so yes, I would have to
agree that digital cams are relevant

Vindicated!! Thank you, QED;-))

I burn lots of Excel files to CD. How good will the OpenOffice macro
support be?