Removing Air Noise

Old February 9th 04, 12:31 PM
Martin ©¿©¬

Default Removing Air Noise

Hi

I have made a recording to CD from an old reel-to-reel tape of a live
recording circa 1970
Playing the cd on my cd player there is a constant crackling just like
a radio with bad reception. I've been told this is 'air noise'
(whatever that is) caused by the microphone

I have tried cleaning it with cool edit pro v1 but to no avail
Anyone know if it's possible to clean my recording and if so how?

Martin
©¿©¬
REMOVETHIS to reply
Old February 9th 04, 12:56 PM
Graham Mayor

Did the original recording have this noise?
Did the WAV file on your hard drive have this noise?
I thought not.
See http://www.gmayor.com/copy_vinyl_to_CDR.htm
The crackling has almost certainly roots in a media mismatch with your
writer.

--

Graham Mayor

Old February 9th 04, 02:43 PM
Rick Pali

"Martin ©¿©¬" wrote

I have made a recording to CD from an old reel-to-reel tape of a live
recording circa 1970
Playing the cd on my cd player there is a constant crackling just like
a radio with bad reception. I've been told this is 'air noise'
(whatever that is) caused by the microphone

How did you make the transfer to CD?

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old February 9th 04, 03:14 PM
Bruceh

I have tried cleaning it with cool edit pro v1 but to no avail
Anyone know if it's possible to clean my recording and if so how?

I have an CoolEdit 2000. If it's crackling noise you might
need to use Click/Pop Eliminator. If it's just a constant hiss
you might use Noise Reduction.

I'm not sure what options you have on your version.

Wow, just went to their website and Adobe bought them out.
It's now called Adobe Audition! An upgrade for 2000 & Pro v1
is $99.

--bruceh

Old February 9th 04, 08:42 PM
Mike Richter

Martin =A9=BF=A9=AC wrote:
Hi
=20
I have made a recording to CD from an old reel-to-reel tape of a live
recording circa 1970
Playing the cd on my cd player there is a constant crackling just like
a radio with bad reception. I've been told this is 'air noise'
(whatever that is) caused by the microphone
=20
I have tried cleaning it with cool edit pro v1 but to no avail
Anyone know if it's possible to clean my recording and if so how?

The term I believe you mean is "wind noise" - an artifact of wind=20
blowing across a microphone which is not adequately shielded. (I am not=20
criticizing your English, which is fine, but trying to provide the=20
technical term.)

Wind noise usually shows up as exaggerated and inconsistent very low=20
frequency sound. One problem is that it can cause overrecording -=20
clipping - when digitized and that is likely to create readily audible=20
sounds. If the problem is wind noise, try first running a steep=20
low-frequency filter; for rumble (a similar sort of noise but=20
consistent), I use a sixth-order Butterworth at 30 Hz. You may want to=20
go a bit higher, perhaps to 40-50 Hz depending on the music and your=20
concern about losing lows.

That should leave you with a file you can edit more easily. Make sure=20
there is no clipping (it changes due to phase shifts when low-frequency=20
filtering is applied).

Finally, do not trust CE's declicking. The latest version - in Adobe=20
Audition, the successor to CEPro - is good for single clicks, but the=20
part that declicks a range of audio has never worked well. The two=20
programs that do the job for me are DART Pro and the ClickFix plugin for =

CE/CEP/Audition. They are both costly.

Mike
--=20

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old February 9th 04, 08:53 PM
Trev

"Bruceh" wrote in message
I have tried cleaning it with cool edit pro v1 but to no avail
Anyone know if it's possible to clean my recording and if so how?

I have an CoolEdit 2000. If it's crackling noise you might
need to use Click/Pop Eliminator. If it's just a constant hiss
you might use Noise Reduction.

I'm not sure what options you have on your version.

Wow, just went to their website and Adobe bought them out.
It's now called Adobe Audition! An upgrade for 2000 & Pro v1
is $99.

--bruceh

And Pinnacle have taken over Steinberg with Sony grabbing sonic.

Old February 10th 04, 02:33 PM
Martin ©¿©¬

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:56:47 +0200, "Graham Mayor"
wrote:

The crackling has almost certainly roots in a media mismatch with your writer.

Can u explain this please

How did you make the transfer to CD?
Rick.

Nero

I have an CoolEdit 2000. If it's crackling noise you might
need to use Click/Pop Eliminator. If it's just a constant hiss
you might use Noise Reduction.
--bruceh

Tried both - didn't work

Old February 10th 04, 02:33 PM
Martin ©¿©¬

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:42:25 -0800, Mike Richter
wrote:

The term I believe you mean is "wind noise" - an artifact of wind
blowing across a microphone which is not adequately shielded.

Thanks for the correct technical term

[...]

No Go there then
Old February 10th 04, 03:34 PM
Graham Mayor

wrote:

The crackling has almost certainly roots in a media mismatch with
your writer.

Can u explain this please

If the crackling was on the original tape, you would have noticed it and
therefore not assumed that it was a contribution of the CD process. Any
microphone noise would have been on the tape, so the crackling has been
introduced later and the usual cause of crackling is a media mismatch to the
writer which produces read errors on the CD. Severe read errors sound like
crackling.

--

Graham Mayor

Old February 10th 04, 03:39 PM
Bruceh

"Martin =A9=BF=A9=AC" wrote:

I have an CoolEdit 2000. If it's crackling noise you might
need to use Click/Pop Eliminator. If it's just a constant hiss
you might use Noise Reduction.
--bruceh

Tried both - didn't work

If you have a website, can you place maybe a 5 second sample
of the 'crackling'? I could take a glance and hear what your
hearing...

--bruceh

ASUS A7N8X-X: high frequency noise by an induction coil ! jimjim Homebuilt PC's 0 October 29th 04 06:55 PM
Help Me Find the Noise Marshall Lake General 5 February 10th 04 06:17 PM
Harddisk spinning noise Shep© General 9 October 19th 03 10:07 PM
psychological and extra David Taylor Homebuilt PC's 5 October 3rd 03 07:25 AM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM