Mixed Mode CDRs - audio problem

Old November 8th 03, 09:40 PM
JasonW

Default Mixed Mode CDRs - audio problem

I was trying to create a mixed mode CDR with mostly data and a single audio
track to let people know that it is a data CD and won't work in an audio
player. After creating the mixed mode disc, The data portion seems to work
fine, but the audio portion seems to have 2 audio tracks. The first audio
track has no sound and appears to run forever. The second track is what I
wanted as the first and only track. I'm using Nero 5.5.10.35

I didn't see any settings I could change to correct this. Can someone
suggest a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

-JasonW

Old November 9th 03, 12:48 AM
JasonW

"A" wrote in message
"JasonW" wrote in news:Bpdrb.106534$275.306400@attbi_s53:

I was trying to create a mixed mode CDR with mostly data and a single
audio track to let people know that it is a data CD and won't work in
an audio player. After creating the mixed mode disc, The data portion
seems to work fine, but the audio portion seems to have 2 audio
tracks. The first audio track has no sound and appears to run forever.
The second track is what I wanted as the first and only track. I'm
using Nero 5.5.10.35

I didn't see any settings I could change to correct this. Can someone
suggest a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Use CD-Extra instead.
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-14

I was able to make it work with Nero by burning the audio track as an audio
CD first without finalizing the CD, then burning the data tracks as an ISO
(Mode 2/XA) and finalizing the CD. The FAQ says this method may make it
unreadable on certain setups, so I may not use it anyway.

-JasonW

Old November 9th 03, 06:51 AM
Mike Richter

JasonW wrote:
"A" wrote in message

[...]

Bull! It will play as audio in an audio machine, as data in a CD-ROM
drive. There may be a drive somewhere that will object, but the format
is the same as on many commercial discs, so there can't be many.

First, you have not written Mixed Mode - that has data first, audio
later and is essentially useless. You made what is called "CD Extra" -
akin to but not the same as Enhanced CD.

There's plenty of information on this in the usual references: the CD-R
FAQ and the primer at my WWW site.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old November 9th 03, 01:03 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

JasonW wrote:

I was trying to create a mixed mode CDR with mostly data and a single audio
track to let people know that it is a data CD and won't work in an audio
player. After creating the mixed mode disc, The data portion seems to work
fine, but the audio portion seems to have 2 audio tracks. The first audio
track has no sound and appears to run forever. The second track is what I
wanted as the first and only track. I'm using Nero 5.5.10.35

I didn't see any settings I could change to correct this. Can someone
suggest a way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

What were you using to play the audio? Perhaps the cd player was
"playing" the data, making you think there were two audio tracks?
(Windows CD Player plays the audio, skipping the data part.)

(Look up the cd in [Recorder, Medium_Info]. It should list one data
track and one audio track. If it lists more than one audio track,
something very screwy is going on.)
Old November 9th 03, 01:15 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

First, you have not written Mixed Mode - that has data first, audio
later and is essentially useless.

Do you now know all about Mixed-Mode, Mikey?

-------------------
Mixed Mode - 3 of 3
-------------------

If it weren't for this post, Mikey would still have maintained that
Mixed Mode is multi-session:

=====================
From: David Oseas (former Philips CD-i / CD-ROM / MPEG Sr. Engineer)
Subject: Why can't i make a mixed-mode CD?
Date: 5/17/01

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote...
Marc van Lierop wrote:

If the disc is single session

It isn't.

How did you find that out?

Mixed Mode is multisession by definition. I found it out by reading
the definition.

[ "I believe the Roxio site...is silent on the subject" ]

Mike, I must respectfully disagree with you on this point. We were
making Mixed-Mode (Yellow Book) disks at Philips long before the
multisession (Orange Book) standard was approved. The definition of
Mixed-Mode may have been extended to include multisession discs, but it
is by no means exclusive to multisession. See the following links for
the original definition of Mixed-Mode:

http://www.cinram.com/pdf/mixedmode.PDF
http://www.cinram.com/pdf/cdgloss.pdf

If Adaptec's glossary states Mixed-Mode is multisession only, I'll have
to contact them to set the record straight.

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
Date: 5/17/01

I believe the Roxio site...is silent on the subject,
providing only a definition in terms of track sequence.
=====================

Mikey:
"I believe the Roxio site...is silent on the subject"

But that's how Mikey claimed to have found out:

Old November 9th 03, 01:19 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

First, you have not written Mixed Mode - that has data first, audio
later and is essentially useless. You made what is called "CD Extra" -
akin to but not the same as Enhanced CD.

Enhanced CD, Mikey? Where did that come from, Mikey?

====================================
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
====================================

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Subject: EZCD 5.02b Enhanced CD mode
Date: 8/28/01

There is no Enhanced CD Mode
- so, no, people have not used it.
======================

--------------------------------------
Old November 9th 03, 01:51 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

You made what is called "CD Extra" -
akin to but not the same as Enhanced CD.

Very cute, Mikey. "akin" and "not the same" cover awful lot of
territory!

Here's Mikey's definition of CD Extra:

=====================
From: Mike Richter
Subject: Mike Richter & Enhanced CD
Date: 12/26/01

CD Extra is a defined format for a single session
with audio tracks followed by a data track

"Enhanced CD" uses two sessions: one audio, one data.
=====================

JasonW burned as two-session. That means he made Enhanced CD, but not
the CD Extra of your definition. So how could you say he made CD Extra,
Mikey?

--------------------------------------
Old November 9th 03, 10:12 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

JasonW wrote:
"A" wrote...
"JasonW" wrote:

[...]

That's the old Nero way of making CD Extra, before Nero formally
supported it, and it's commonly called Enhanced CD. I prefer Enhanced
CD to the stricter CD Extra as I can add more data later by not
finalizing in data burn. Windows systems shouldn't have problems with
such cd, but certain Mac systems may have trouble as the FAQ indicated.
I also prefer Enhanced CD to Mixed mode for the same option of adding
data, not because of the cases where some players may play the data
part.
Old November 9th 03, 10:33 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

First, you have not written Mixed Mode

Should that be a news to JasonW, who, after all, first burned
Mixed-Mode, and then burned Enhanced CD?

- that has data first, audio
later and is essentially useless. You made what is called "CD Extra" -
akin to but not the same as Enhanced CD.

Trying slimily to weasel out your CD-Extra/Enhanced CD cockamamie?

There's plenty of information on this in the usual references: the CD-R

CD-R FAQ, Mikey? Even though it makes common mistakes?

From: smh
Subject: CD-Extra Help
Date: 5/30/03

Mikey sure knows a lot about Enhanced CD and CD Extra. Why Mikey even
points out a mistake in the CD-R Faq:

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Subject: Easy CD Creator makes CD-Extra disc with no track titles
Date: 9/16/01

It happens that the FAQ makes a common mistake in that section,
confusing "Enhanced CD" with its predecessor, "CD Extra"
=====================

CD-R FAQ's supposed *MISTAKE* is taking CD Extra and Enhanced CD
synonymously when they are different in Mikey's cockamamie definitions:

"CD Extra uses a single session"
"If there are two sessions, it is an 'Enhanced CD'"

cRoxio's glossary makes the same common mistake:

CD Extra
A multisession disc...

Enhanced CD
See CD Extra.

But instead of saying cRoxio also makes a common mistake, Mikey said
this:

Roxio's information is correct for CD Extra, but may not cover
the unspecified but more practical "Enhanced CD"

(Also, Mikey previously said there is NO Enhanced CD!)

--------------------------------------
Old November 9th 03, 10:35 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

First, you have not written Mixed Mode

Should that be a news to JasonW, who, after all, first burned
Mixed-Mode, and then burned Enhanced CD?

- that has data first, audio
later and is essentially useless. You made what is called "CD Extra" -
akin to but not the same as Enhanced CD.

Trying slimily to weasel out your CD-Extra/Enhanced CD cockamamie?

There's plenty of information on this in the usual references: the CD-R

CD-R FAQ, Mikey? Even though it is "quite dated" and has "significant
errors"?

Restart problem DJS0302 General 4 June 21st 04 03:33 PM
comming out from sleep mode problem Jay General 5 December 14th 03 09:41 PM
DMA / PIO Mode problem - General 4 December 11th 03 12:02 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM
Adaptec AHA-2940AU Problem with Suspend Mode? Ronald Rey General 0 July 20th 03 07:58 PM