TDK 5200B CD-R/RW Drives

Old August 3rd 03, 11:14 AM
Jeff Williams

"Dan G" wrote in :

There's no pont in starting an "ATIP database", cause they change all
the time. Best to just stick to media that is always the same thing,
like Fuji, Verbatim, etc.

"Enkidu" wrote in message
Jeff Williams wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I was just looking into the LiteOn Drives. I
have heard they are getting great reviews.

Thanks

Jeff,

At the cost of a burner these days, it won't hurt to upgrade.
However, from reading your posts I'm not convinced it is the drive
and not the media. First the drive used to work and does not appear
to have any of the symptoms normally associated with a catastrophic
failure. Secondly, as far as I can tell you've gone from bad
(Memorex) to worse (Imation). It is possible that both brands are the
same exact media made at the same factory.

For example I have Memorex, Imation, Philips and Optimum CDs that
were all made by CMC Magnetics.

Somebody really should start a FAQ or website where one can post the
ATIP info for CD media!

On the other hand, you might have more money invested in media than
the aging drive and a new one is the way to go.

Enkidu

Greeetings all

Thanks to all those who responded to my post!

Dan I just ssaw your ATIP post it ust showed up on EN last night and
Tera News today. I am not sure what this is as I have never needed this
information. Would you be so kind as to tell me what to look for and
where to find it. As I said iuse Roxiao 5 and Nero 5.5. If it matters
I also use XP - sp1 Corp. Ed. as an OS
Thanks again
Old August 3rd 03, 04:29 PM
Enkidu

Dan G wrote:
There's no pont in starting an "ATIP database", cause they change all the
time. Best to just stick to media that is always the same thing, like Fuji,
Verbatim, etc.

If you were a Hollywood Indian, your name would be "Rains-on-Parade."

Your logic is inverted. How would you know if a media "is always the
same thing" if there isn't a someplace to track what various brands
use? The fact that they change all the time is the very reason why one
would need to create a consumer database.

Old August 3rd 03, 06:20 PM
Dan G

You know because you check it , and it's always the same. Everyone knows
that Fuji, Verbatim, and a few others, are always made by the same mfg.
Every attempt to create a referance in the past has resulted in inaccurate
and outdated information. Fuji bought in Europe is made by Fuji, bought in
the USA it's made by TY. TDK bought in Europe is made by TDK, bought
anywhere else it's made by a number of different mfg. Yet the package is the
same on all these, so how would a referance based on what's on the package
be of any use?
In every case, you have to buy it and check it to know what it is for sure,
but nobody has ever bought Fuji spindles in the USA that were not TY, or
Verbatim that were not Mitsubishi. (before somebody jumps in, yes I know
that all Taiwan-made Mitsubishi are made by CMC)

Old August 4th 03, 03:04 AM
Tim Kroesen

....have you ever owned an SCSI sys and burner to comment? Mine works
GREAT on an old low Horsepower system... Never a coaster yet for I/O
reasons...

Tim K

"Dan G" wrote in message
SCSI is a waste of money for a CD burner. The TDK is a fine drive,

made by
LiteOn. The new LiteOn 52327S is proving to be VERY media tolerant and

burns
most anything at true 52x with very good quality.

"Jeff Williams" wrote in message
9.130...
"Dan G" wrote in :

burn gets to abut 95 - 99% complete and then just hangs

That's a tough issue to track down. It could be the media, but it
could also be the drive or the software. If you can return the

drive
and get a replacement, that would narrow down the possibilities.

Dan

I think you may be right about the drive itself, just tried to make

music
CD and the same thing happened. This time I tried using totaly

different
media with the same result. Worked on Sony not TDK. Any

suggestions for
better high speed EIDE drive. Or maybe I should think about a SCSI

Drive?

Thanks again for all your input.

Old August 4th 03, 05:48 PM
Enkidu

Dan G wrote:

You know because you check it , and it's always the same. Everyone knows
that Fuji, Verbatim, and a few others, are always made by the same mfg.
Every attempt to create a referance in the past has resulted in inaccurate
and outdated information. Fuji bought in Europe is made by Fuji, bought in
the USA it's made by TY. TDK bought in Europe is made by TDK, bought
anywhere else it's made by a number of different mfg. Yet the package is the
same on all these, so how would a referance based on what's on the package
be of any use?
In every case, you have to buy it and check it to know what it is for sure,
but nobody has ever bought Fuji spindles in the USA that were not TY, or
Verbatim that were not Mitsubishi. (before somebody jumps in, yes I know
that all Taiwan-made Mitsubishi are made by CMC)

You say that "everyone knows" what are good brands. How does one come
by this knowledge without keeping track? You seem to be advocating
that each person purchase and test brand after brand until you find
the good ones. What am I supposed to do with the ones that don't work
out? Wear a track to the store returning media? Roof my house?
(Would be shiny!) It seems to me that you already have in your head
what I'm talking about. You mentioned previous attempts at references
- are any of these still around? The number of manufacturers and
speeds of media have leveled off. A list might be workable.

Enkidu

Old August 4th 03, 07:40 PM
Dan G

That's the way it is, you can never know what will work with your drive till
you try it. This is why we have tools for C1/C2 testing and such. Even
different batches from the same maker can perform very differently. The
notion of a "referance" sounds good, but there is no substitute for testing
your burns and adjusting your media choices and burn speeds accordingly.
It's also why many people say they will only buy certain brands, because
experience teaches you which ones are more relaible.
There are only a handfull of media makers in the world, but there are
hundreds of "brands" that switch manufacturers as often as you change your
socks. The TDK or Memorex (and others) you buy can have any one of several
types of media in the package that will perform very differently. There are
even cases where a single spindle has had more than one type of media in it.

Old August 9th 03, 09:14 AM
Rui Sá

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:48:15 -0400, Enkidu
wrote:

You mentioned previous attempts at references
- are any of these still around? The number of manufacturers and
speeds of media have leveled off. A list might be workable.

There's some info he

http://www.cdr-info.de/index_cdrohlinge_e.php

--
To reply by e-mail please replace the underscore with a dot.

Old August 13th 03, 01:26 AM
Robert J. Williams

Jeff Williams wrote in
9.130:

Greetings All

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with this drive. I put a
new one in when I rebuilt and it worked fine. I recently tried to
burn a cd, once with Nero5.5 and once with Roxio 5 Platinum. Both
times the burn would not complete. Itried the exact same burn on my
Sony DRU-500A DVD drive and they completed. I have the latest ver. of
both programs and the latest Flashes for both drives.

I should also add I am using Memorex CD-R 48x disks and burnning at
40x.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Greetings Again!

First off thanks for all your responses knew I could count on Usenet!

Just an update. DanG and Group I have been playing around with this on
and off since first post. I think Dan hit it on the head when he
mentioned a possible software issue. It doesn't appear to be the
burning software though, at least not entirely. It would appear that I
have a conflict going on somewhere. I went into task manager and killed
off all nonessential processes and was able to burn to my hearts
content. Now comes the real tedious part. Finding the conflict! I
have checked event viewer but have never seen an app or system error
when I have gotten locked up in a burn.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

are SATA drives cooler to the touch than IDE? AFN General 12 October 28th 04 07:45 PM
Resolved: An issue with installing XP on new Serial ATA drives, drives not being recognized by XP Todd Wiese Homebuilt PC's 0 October 26th 04 06:50 PM
Seagate Redesigns Drives (with 73GB to 300GB capacities) Ablang General 0 May 23rd 04 04:01 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM