TDK 5200B CD-R/RW Drives

Old August 2nd 03, 02:25 AM
Jeff Williams

Default TDK 5200B CD-R/RW Drives

Greetings All

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with this drive. I put a new
one in when I rebuilt and it worked fine. I recently tried to burn a cd,
once with Nero5.5 and once with Roxio 5 Platinum. Both times the burn
would not complete. Itried the exact same burn on my Sony DRU-500A DVD
drive and they completed. I have the latest ver. of both programs and the
latest Flashes for both drives.

I should also add I am using Memorex CD-R 48x disks and burnning at 40x.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old August 2nd 03, 03:52 AM
Dan G

Memorex CD's are among the worst, try different media. The TDK should
actually be a LiteOn drive with a new face and firmware. these drives
usually do very well with Fuji media.
Without knowing what "burn would not complete" means, it's difficult to say
what the real problem might be.

9.130...

Old August 2nd 03, 04:23 AM
Wanderer

On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:52:45 -0600, "Dan G" wrote:

Memorex CD's are among the worst, try different media.

Again, you're wrong. It depends who made them. I for one prefer the
Taiyo Yuden made Memorex discs over the TY FujiFilm discs because of
the writing surface. Unfortunately finding TY Memorex discs is
becoming harder and harder. But don't make broad generalizations when
Memorex has used at least three different makes over the years. One
make is good (Taiyo Yuden) and the other two blow goats (Ritek, CMC).

Old August 2nd 03, 04:29 AM
Dan G

Memorex hasn't sold TY media since the 32x version, which is completely
different media than the current TY 48x. They no longer sell TY media,
period. Any 32x you may find on shelves is old stock.

Old August 2nd 03, 02:59 PM
Dan G

burn gets to abut 95 - 99% complete and then just hangs

That's a tough issue to track down. It could be the media, but it could also
be the drive or the software. If you can return the drive and get a
replacement, that would narrow down the possibilities.

Old August 2nd 03, 04:08 PM
Jeff Williams

"Dan G" wrote in :

burn gets to abut 95 - 99% complete and then just hangs

That's a tough issue to track down. It could be the media, but it
could also be the drive or the software. If you can return the drive
and get a replacement, that would narrow down the possibilities.

Dan

I think you may be right about the drive itself, just tried to make a music
CD and the same thing happened. This time I tried using totaly different
media with the same result. Worked on Sony not TDK. Any suggestions for a
better high speed EIDE drive. Or maybe I should think about a SCSI Drive?

Thanks again for all your input.
Old August 2nd 03, 05:56 PM
Dan G

SCSI is a waste of money for a CD burner. The TDK is a fine drive, made by
LiteOn. The new LiteOn 52327S is proving to be VERY media tolerant and burns
most anything at true 52x with very good quality.

Old August 2nd 03, 05:56 PM
Dan G

Perhaps you can post the ATIP from that media?

"Wanderer" wrote in message
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 21:29:06 -0600, "Dan G" wrote:

Memorex hasn't sold TY media since the 32x version, which is completely
different media than the current TY 48x. They no longer sell TY media,
period. Any 32x you may find on shelves is old stock.

Actually they have! I've bought both 50 and 100 spindles of Memorex
40X TY media.

Old August 2nd 03, 06:18 PM
Jeff Williams

"Dan G" wrote in :

burn gets to abut 95 - 99% complete and then just hangs

That's a tough issue to track down. It could be the media, but it
could also be the drive or the software. If you can return the
drive and get a replacement, that would narrow down the
possibilities.

Dan

I think you may be right about the drive itself, just tried to make a

music
CD and the same thing happened. This time I tried using totaly
different media with the same result. Worked on Sony not TDK. Any
suggestions for

better high speed EIDE drive. Or maybe I should think about a SCSI
Drive?

Thanks again for all your input.

Thanks for the tips. I was just looking into the LiteOn Drives. I have
heard they are getting great reviews.

Thanks
Old August 2nd 03, 07:37 PM
Enkidu

Jeff Williams wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I was just looking into the LiteOn Drives. I have
heard they are getting great reviews.

Thanks

Jeff,

At the cost of a burner these days, it won't hurt to upgrade. However,
from reading your posts I'm not convinced it is the drive and not the
media. First the drive used to work and does not appear to have any of
the symptoms normally associated with a catastrophic failure.
Secondly, as far as I can tell you've gone from bad (Memorex) to worse
(Imation). It is possible that both brands are the same exact media
made at the same factory.

For example I have Memorex, Imation, Philips and Optimum CDs that were
all made by CMC Magnetics.

Somebody really should start a FAQ or website where one can post the
ATIP info for CD media!

On the other hand, you might have more money invested in media than
the aging drive and a new one is the way to go.

Enkidu

are SATA drives cooler to the touch than IDE? AFN General 12 October 28th 04 07:45 PM
Resolved: An issue with installing XP on new Serial ATA drives, drives not being recognized by XP Todd Wiese Homebuilt PC's 0 October 26th 04 06:50 PM
Seagate Redesigns Drives (with 73GB to 300GB capacities) Ablang General 0 May 23rd 04 04:01 AM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM