Virtual ISP? Dial-up to ADSL computer?

Old June 22nd 05, 08:23 PM
Fred

Default Virtual ISP? Dial-up to ADSL computer?

I have broadband on a Win2000 machine using a Draytek router. I would like
my children to dial into my computer to access the internet. I have two
telephone lines so I can test the setup here. I have created an "Incoming
Connection" and the PCs handshake and connect. However that's about as far
as it goes and there's no internet access. I can, however, ping the Win2000
machine from the remote PC. If I type in "ipconfig /all" on the remote PC,
the IP address is the same as the gateway address. Is this to be expected?

I have made an number of searches on Google but found very little on this
subject. Any keywords I use tend to come back with irrelevant sites etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which is the best group to ask
this sort of question?

Old June 22nd 05, 09:02 PM
Bob Eager

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:23:23 UTC, "Fred" wrote:

I have broadband on a Win2000 machine using a Draytek router. I would like
my children to dial into my computer to access the internet. I have two
telephone lines so I can test the setup here. I have created an "Incoming
Connection" and the PCs handshake and connect. However that's about as far
as it goes and there's no internet access. I can, however, ping the Win2000
machine from the remote PC. If I type in "ipconfig /all" on the remote PC,
the IP address is the same as the gateway address. Is this to be expected?

I have made an number of searches on Google but found very little on this
subject. Any keywords I use tend to come back with irrelevant sites etc.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Which is the best group to ask
this sort of question?

Well, not this one (uk.comp.vendors, that is; the other group may be
able to help). There are several basic networking issues here...such as
routing, and what happens if you have only one IP address to play with.

I suggest that you ask in a Windows networking newsgroup. I do
networking, but I don't do Windows, so I can't actually name a group.
Use Google Groups to locate one.
--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended.
Old June 22nd 05, 11:21 PM
Lordy

Fred wrote:

[...]

Windows Networking. FWIW I think there are much better (and possibly
cheaper) ways to accomplished your high level objectives. When you ask in
the correct group outline your high level requirements before mentioning
how you have gone about it so far. You may get a much simpler solution!
(Hence your lack of hits Googling around)

Also this is WAY off topic in u.c.v!

Lordy