Someone slap me! - am looking at buying from Tiny...

Old August 19th 04, 02:24 PM
AC

Default Someone slap me! - am looking at buying from Tiny...

Need a new PC;

This one meets the spec (no monitor)

http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=10582

So,

Are tiny as bad as portrayed?

Bad things:

Locked to Supanet ISP (I use broadband so not affected)
No XP CD (?) - can DriveImage the HD - I know this is not ideal, but is it
much of limitation eg do they include an image of the CD on the HD, so it
can be burned to my own CD ?
Poor support ?

Good things:

Spec
Price

Anyone aware of a similar spec for similar price ?

Info/advice appreciated

Cheers

Old August 19th 04, 03:01 PM
Parish

AC wrote:
Need a new PC;

This one meets the spec (no monitor)

http://www.tiny.com/packages.php?prodid=10582

So,

Are tiny as bad as portrayed?

Yes.

Bad things:

Locked to Supanet ISP (I use broadband so not affected)

Does your BB include a backup 0845 dial-up? If so then you could be
affected, although there is a reg hack to unlock it.

No XP CD (?) - can DriveImage the HD - I know this is not ideal, but is it
much of limitation eg do they include an image of the CD on the HD, so it
can be burned to my own CD ?

Not sure if there is an image on the HD, but even if there is and you
burn it to CD it won't be bootable. Whether it is possible to add a boot
record from one of the many websites with instructions on making a
bootable XP CDs I'm not sure. Failing that you'd have to d/l the SIX
boot floppies from the M$ website - assuming they work with OEM versions.

Poor support ?

Yes.

Parish

--
By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends.
-=-=-=-
Old August 19th 04, 06:06 PM
Simon

AC wrote:

Are tiny as bad as portrayed?

Only as bad as any other PC company.

No XP CD (?) - can DriveImage the HD - I know this is not ideal, but is it
much of limitation eg do they include an image of the CD on the HD, so it
can be burned to my own CD ?

Many vendors have done this for years

Poor support ?

Support is good in my opinion.

Simon
Old August 20th 04, 12:56 AM
RCT

Most recent burning software can make your CD/DVD bootable, so use Norton
Ghost to make the image and the latest Nero to burn it and you can make your
own recovery disk.

Apart from that...never used Tiny...only Sony ;-)

HTH

Euan.
RCT