Removing Air Noise

Old February 10th 04, 06:07 PM
Bruceh

The crackling has almost certainly roots in a media mismatch with
your writer.

Can u explain this please

If the crackling was on the original tape, you would have noticed it and
therefore not assumed that it was a contribution of the CD process. Any
microphone noise would have been on the tape, so the crackling has been
introduced later and the usual cause of crackling is a media mismatch to the
writer which produces read errors on the CD. Severe read errors sound like
crackling.

Not necessarily. When was converting my LPs to CDs I had
to use headphones and, even then, with the volume cranked up to
distinguish the noise that was more apparent on my stereo system.
So it may depend on the equipment (computer and stereo) that one has.
Though I'm not saying that it can't be a CD writer issue either.

Old February 10th 04, 06:09 PM
Martin ©¿©¬

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:39:18 GMT, Bruceh
wrote:

If you have a website, can you place maybe a 5 second sample
of the 'crackling'? I could take a glance and hear what your
hearing...
--bruceh

Go to http://mande.port5.com/ in the wave box top-of-page
I've only just created this page, like 2 weeks from scratch, so it's
still a learning curve. Hope the wave works, haven't done this before

Martin
©¿©¬
Old February 10th 04, 07:31 PM
Bruceh

Go to http://mande.port5.com/ in the wave box top-of-page
I've only just created this page, like 2 weeks from scratch, so it's
still a learning curve. Hope the wave works, haven't done this before

Martin,

I downloaded the sample and have some comments...
* There is definitely noise in the wave file.
* The signal is pretty low. The signal is generally about -12db. It should
ideally be higher:

I'm not familiar with reel-to-reel tapes, but if has the same signals as
a turntable the signals need to be boosted electronically before
it is connected to the computer. With a turntable I connect it to
a receiver and from the receiver to my computer. What is your
setup?

* Also, it may be a grounding issue. The above may fix it as well.

* The noise is not like a constant hiss so I'm not sure how well
CoolEdit noise reduction can help. But I think the above should
be resolved first.

Old February 10th 04, 07:46 PM
Rick Pali

"Bruceh" wrote:

I'm not familiar with reel-to-reel tapes, but if has the same signals as
a turntable the signals need to be boosted electronically before
it is connected to the computer.

That souldn't be a problem as open reel tapes, like cassettes and other
common components, produce a line-level output. No amplification should be
necessary.

Rick.
-+---

http://www.alienshore.com/seeking/

Old February 10th 04, 09:01 PM
Tim Kroesen

There are some soundcard chip and sys driver problems related to
'crackling' noise I've read over the years; you might want to expand the
description of your sys, soundcard and drivers used...

Tim K

Old February 11th 04, 06:41 AM
Graham Mayor

Well of course if you clamp loudspeakers to your ears, you are likely to
hear more of the inherent noise in the recording, but that wasn't my point.
My point was that if the particulat crackling noise was not present in the
original recording, and it was in the CD version, then it was introduced in
the transfer process. If that, then it is due to a media mistmatch.

If the noise was on the original recording, then we have a whole new ball
game and the editing tools mentioned elsewhere in this thread would be
required to attempt a correction. One thing remains true, you can't remove
noise from a recording without destroying some of the underlying music. That
is not to say that you cannot produce a result that is an improvement
subjectively. It is better to start with the best possible signal.

--

Graham Mayor

Old February 11th 04, 06:46 AM
Graham Mayor

Not necessarily. Hardware suppliers have their own ideas of what constitutes
a line level signal. Unless the sound card manufacturer and the audio
equipment manufacturer agree, there could be a wide mismatch.

--

Graham Mayor

Old February 11th 04, 10:54 AM
Martin ©¿©¬

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:31:47 GMT, Bruceh
wrote:

I downloaded the sample and have some comments...
* There is definitely noise in the wave file.
* The signal is pretty low. The signal is generally about -12db. It should
ideally be higher:

How would i increase the signal?

I'm not familiar with reel-to-reel tapes, but if has the same signals as
a turntable the signals need to be boosted electronically before
it is connected to the computer. With a turntable I connect it to
a receiver and from the receiver to my computer. What is your
setup?

The player is over 35 years old as is the tape and the only option i
had to get a 'line out' was to plug into the extension speaker socket.
Do u think a more modern player would give me better results?

Martin
Old February 11th 04, 11:37 PM
Bruceh

I downloaded the sample and have some comments...
* There is definitely noise in the wave file.
* The signal is pretty low. The signal is generally about -12db. It should
ideally be higher:

How would i increase the signal?

I'm not familiar with reel-to-reel tapes, but if has the same signals as
a turntable the signals need to be boosted electronically before
it is connected to the computer. With a turntable I connect it to
a receiver and from the receiver to my computer. What is your
setup?

The player is over 35 years old as is the tape and the only option i
had to get a 'line out' was to plug into the extension speaker socket.
Do u think a more modern player would give me better results?

I think you'll have to do some investigation. It's hard for me to give you
an outright answer. Things to consider:

* Tape player:
- are heads clean?
- how does it sound when it plays through stereo equipment?
* Did you connect tape player directly to computer?
* Have you tried connecting via your stereo? How does it sound?
* Do you have other tapes to determine if perhaps the tape is bad.
* If you record on new tape, does it sound OK or just as bad?
* Do you have the computer recording levels on highest level?
* What program did you use to record on your computer?

bruce

ASUS A7N8X-X: high frequency noise by an induction coil ! jimjim Homebuilt PC's 0 October 29th 04 06:55 PM
Help Me Find the Noise Marshall Lake General 5 February 10th 04 06:17 PM
Harddisk spinning noise Shep© General 9 October 19th 03 10:07 PM
psychological and extra David Taylor Homebuilt PC's 5 October 3rd 03 07:25 AM
Monitor Crackling Noise again Michael General 1 July 22nd 03 10:43 AM