P5nd2-sli : cdrom stops working after windows installs

Old May 24th 05, 11:49 PM

Default P5nd2-sli : cdrom stops working after windows installs

This is very bizarre. I have installed winxp pro sp2 on a brand new box
I've build. The mobo is the p5nd2-sli. There's only one hd, sata. The
dvdrom is on the primary ide, set as master.

Now, installing windows of the dvdrom went without a hitch. But as soon
as it was installed, the dvdrom became very slow (read: near
innacessible) and my system event log is filled with the message: The
device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout
period.

Ironically, the dvdrom in question is asus-build. I suspect an Ide
issue and conflict with sp2, since this started only after the os was
installed. However, I do not understand why, as I though that the sata
and ide controller were 2 very different things.

Cheers,

Steve.

Old May 26th 05, 08:35 AM
Frobinrobin

A sata and ide controller are different in many ways, obviously
different technologies and bandwitchs/speeds.

On the P5ND2-SLI you can use one controller to mix IDE and SATA
channels in the same RAID array.

Have you tried using the other IDE channel? that's where I would start
... and then I'd ask Asus technical support directly.

Old June 4th 05, 10:16 PM

Replying to mysel here, with the solution: move the drive to the
secondary ide channel. For some reason xp sp2 doens't like seing a
cdrom as your only ide device set as master on the primary channel....
but will install fine, hence the confusion.

Have fun!!

Steve.