HP 3600n resetting to factory settings?

Old March 4th 06, 01:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default HP 3600n resetting to factory settings?

I have managed to select chinese language during initial setup of Color
Laser Jet 3600n. Now, after power up, I am presented with chracters I
can not understand at all. I can print and access printer by network,
but this can change just JetAdmin (Print Server) language. I would like
to change panel manus to english or something more readable. I suppose
there should be some kind of cold reset, or reset to factory settings,
but there is no such information in manuals, and even HP chat service
has not helped me. Is there hope, or should I try to find some chinese
fellows with tehnical knowladge?

Old March 4th 06, 02:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Mirko wrote:
I have managed to select chinese language during initial setup of Color
Laser Jet 3600n. Now, after power up, I am presented with chracters I
can not understand at all. I can print and access printer by network,
but this can change just JetAdmin (Print Server) language. I would like
to change panel manus to english or something more readable. I suppose
there should be some kind of cold reset, or reset to factory settings,
but there is no such information in manuals, and even HP chat service
has not helped me. Is there hope, or should I try to find some chinese
fellows with tehnical knowladge?

just played with mine. here's the instructions (may differ, give it a
shot :P)
1. Press tick.
2. Press down twice.
3. Press tick.
4. Press down twice.
5. Press tick.
6. Press down 13 times.
7. Press tick.
You should now be at Language Select.
good luck
Old March 4th 06, 09:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I do have onother clj3600n on another location (not close to actual
one), so I can try with english setup from the start. If all paths in
all languages are organized in the same way, and if english is 13 times
down in chinese lenguage selection this should do the trick, but...
Acording to HP manual, proccessing of language selection should start
with pressing Menu ? It would be much better to have some way of
reseting printer to the state that it was before first power up!
Usually there are procedures to do just that, sometimes they are not
described in usual documentation, but support should knew them... It
seems to me that HP might have forgoten cold reset/reset to factory
settings in the case of clj3600n?

Old March 4th 06, 10:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Mirko" wrote:
I do have onother clj3600n on another location (not close to actual
one), so I can try with english setup from the start. If all paths in
all languages are organized in the same way, and if english is 13 times
down in chinese lenguage selection this should do the trick, but...
Acording to HP manual, proccessing of language selection should start
with pressing Menu ? It would be much better to have some way of
reseting printer to the state that it was before first power up!
Usually there are procedures to do just that, sometimes they are not
described in usual documentation, but support should knew them... It
seems to me that HP might have forgoten cold reset/reset to factory
settings in the case of clj3600n?

This is the cold Reset procedure for the 3500, I don't have the 3600 manual but
this may work.
*Caution* - if this printer is networked you must power off and remove the EIO
(JetDirect) card before you do a cold reset or you will lose the network
addressing.
1 Turn the printer on.
2 As the printer performs its power-on sequence, press and hold "tick" until
all three lights on the
control panel are lit.
3 When SELECT LANGUAGE appears on the display, press "up" until COLD RESET
appears on
the display.
4 Press "tick" . The printer will perform a cold reset and then continue its
power-on sequence.
NOTE: When you get SELECT LANGUAGE at step 3 you may be able to press "tick"
and then then "up" or "down" to select English, I'm not sure.
Tony
Old March 5th 06, 01:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I am not sure if network card is removable!? I have tried activating
cold reset with this procedure, but no use. At which point of power-on
sequence should "tick" be pressed? If it is possible to change language
without cold reset it would be even better...

Old March 5th 06, 01:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Mirko wrote:
I am not sure if network card is removable!? I have tried activating
cold reset with this procedure, but no use. At which point of power-on
sequence should "tick" be pressed? If it is possible to change language
without cold reset it would be even better...

sorry - menu first instead of tick first on mine. not sure if mine work
but..give it a try :P
good luck
Old March 5th 06, 12:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

OK I fixed it! Not with "blind counting", but with modified "cold
reset" feature. Although I trained "blind counting" on another (new)
printer of same type, on chinese menu seems there is no same order of
items! So I tried again "cold reset", this time presing "tick" while
the memory was conting. After displaying "SELECT LANGUAGE" I tried to
change language several ways, but was given a chanse to change to some
chinese characters, until eventually I press question mark, which show
me option off english finally. As I "cold reseted" machine, network
address was changed to factory (192.0.0.192), which I have changed by
accessing network setup with Internet explorer. I had to connect my
computer by changing network address to 192.0.0.n (n any number lower
than 255, and not 192 or 0).

David & Tony, I thank you for your help!

Mirko