HP laptop - rebates - vista upgrade

Old January 4th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default HP laptop - rebates - vista upgrade

Flame on...

Well, I just "checked my status" for a PC I bought on Black Friday and
guess what:
(between the dashes = website info re 'my status'
------
Rebate name: "HP Presario Notebook $30 MIR"

Tracking ID:KXXZ-0677-xxxx
Offer Value:$30.00
Manufacturer:Hewlett-Packard
Submission status:

To receive your rebate, the following steps must be completed. You can
monitor the progress of your submission below.
Your submission has been received.

1. Unfortunately, there was an issue that prevented processing of your
rebate. Your will receive more information in the mail with further
details and instructions.
---------
Surprise, surprise ! There is no date associated with that message so
I have no idea if it's a month old or posted today. What a scam this is.
I'll let you know when /if I get something in the mail. No I did not get
an email about this although they have my email address - I saw it only
by checking their website for status.
One other thing - it was advertised and I submitted a form for a $50
MIR - not $30 ! Maybe THAT's why there is " an issue".

As for the "free Vista upgrade", I checked that site today and have to
mail them another copy of the store receipt and wait another 6-8 weeks
for that. Let's see ... I had registered my PC at the site , I've sent
them my original receipt ( for this rebate above), I cut the side off
the box to send them a 4x6 UPC barcode - now they need more friggin'
proof to send us the upgrade . Probe the PC and let us download it !

I've been looking but cannot find any relevant phone number to call. If
anyone has a direct number to reach a customer service mgr at HP ( not a
sales line) I'd appreciate posting it here. Thanks

Flame off ...

Old January 4th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Right. Rebates are scams. The only rebates that ever worked for me were from
Staples, who have a web page to enter in the rebate information and who allow
you to check rebate status on line. Even then, there was one rebate shown as
"in process" for a couple of weeks until I sent a strong email to someone at
Staples. Funny thing, but the rebate check arrived in the mail about a week
later.

Did I say it already? Rebates are scams. The NY Times had an investigative
series about product rebates maybe a year ago. They found out that the company
offering the rebate contracts with one of the rebate processors to handle them.
Part of the contract specifies the percentage of rebates that will be rejected!
The bigger the rebate, the higher the rejection percentage. So the rebate
processors are motivated to reject rebates to the point of committing fraud,
which seems to happen a lot. Rather than being paid a percentage of each rebate
check sent out, the rebate processors are paid according to the number of rebate
checks NOT sent out.

Your best bet is to start by calling (or emailing) HP and threatening to report
the incident to the consumer protection agency in your state. You could also
report it to the federal government, but during the Bush years all the consumer
protection agencies are toothless dogs. The threat of a report to the govt
often shakes up a company... Ben Myers

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 19:24:13 -0500, "- Bobb -" wrote:

[...]

M2N-SLI Vista Upgrade Q Arthur Shapiro Asus Motherboards 7 December 31st 06 10:05 PM
Dell, CompUSA Gear Up For Vista Launch [email protected] Dell Computers 7 December 1st 06 04:22 PM
Vista Keith Dell Computers 14 November 22nd 06 08:44 PM
Laptop Buying Decisions - Choice for Good One Now - Easy Upgrade Later [email protected] General 1 July 30th 06 07:28 PM
Upgrade laptop Bios [email protected] Dell Computers 6 September 22nd 05 04:31 AM