Gateway500 factory Settings

Old July 9th 06, 06:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Hicksey

Default Gateway500 factory Settings

Hi. Please can anyone advise on how to reset PC to factory settings.
Thank you
Hicksey

Old July 9th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Lon

Hicksey proclaimed:

Hi. Please can anyone advise on how to reset PC to factory settings.
Thank you
Hicksey

What is it you are trying to restore?

You can get to the BIOS setup on most by hitting F1 at power on.... a
few used F2.

If you need to restore the flash bios, what OS are you using and do you
have a recovery disk?

[methods available on the gateway support site]
Old July 9th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Hicksey

I have an access denial virus which is proving impossible to get rid of so
wondered if going back to factory settings would solve the problem
Hicksey

"Lon" wrote in message
. ..
Hicksey proclaimed:

Old July 9th 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Lon

What you need is to use your recovery disk to completely format the hard
drive and install your operating system if you can't get rid of it.

What have you tried so far? Any of the Microsoft Malware tools help?
McAfee Stinger? Or is it so far gone you can't connect to their websites?

Hicksey proclaimed:
I have an access denial virus which is proving impossible to get rid of so
wondered if going back to factory settings would solve the problem
Hicksey

"Lon" wrote in message
. ..

Hicksey proclaimed:

Old July 10th 06, 07:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Hicksey

A total format will lose to much stuff so I will try the malware progs
first. It wont connect to internet so I will get them on disc to try.
Hicksey

"Lon" wrote in message
. ..

What you need is to use your recovery disk to completely format the hard
drive and install your operating system if you can't get rid of it.

What have you tried so far? Any of the Microsoft Malware tools help?
McAfee Stinger? Or is it so far gone you can't connect to their websites?

Hicksey proclaimed:
I have an access denial virus which is proving impossible to get rid of
so wondered if going back to factory settings would solve the problem
Hicksey

"Lon" wrote in message
. ..

Hicksey proclaimed:

Old July 10th 06, 01:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Access to the internet from another computer with a CD burner is absolutely
necessary to nail the problem you are seeing. Do the following:

1. Download Spybot and, separately, all of its updates.
2. Download Ad-Aware and, separately, all of its updates.
3. Determine the exact name of the virus infecting your system, and see if one
of the anti-virus companies (Symantec, Trend, etc.) has a simple tool to remove
the single virus. If so, download it.
4. Download Grisoft's FreeAVG and all updates, if you do not have absolutely
up-to-date virus protection on the infected system.
5. Burn all this stuff onto a CD.
6. Make sure that the infected computer is NOT connected to the internet.
7. Run a simple virus tool, if any.
8. Install Spybot and Ad-Aware, apply all updates to them, and run, removing
everything they identify.
9. Install FreeAVG and its updates, and run.

You may need to boot the system in safe mode to get some of these software tools
to run... Ben Myers

"Lon" wrote in message

What you need is to use your recovery disk to completely format the hard
drive and install your operating system if you can't get rid of it.

What have you tried so far? Any of the Microsoft Malware tools help?
McAfee Stinger? Or is it so far gone you can't connect to their websites?

Hicksey proclaimed:
I have an access denial virus which is proving impossible to get rid of
so wondered if going back to factory settings would solve the problem
Hicksey

"Lon" wrote in message
. ..

Hicksey proclaimed:

Old July 23rd 06, 05:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
[email protected]

Hicksey wrote:
A total format will lose to much stuff so I will try the malware progs
first. It wont connect to internet so I will get them on disc to try.
Hicksey

Hmmm. You might want to send it to a small computer local shop that
specializes in virus removal. Make clear that you don't want to nuke
and pave (this is the easiest and best method). Or specify what you
want to save.

Here's the thing, virus damage often presists even after successful
virus removal. Think of it as smallpox scars.

Old July 10th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

If the data on your computer is of some value to you, get professional help.
Seriously. For the computer, that is... Ben Myers

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 20:51:15 GMT, "Hicksey" wrote:

I have an access denial virus which is proving impossible to get rid of so
wondered if going back to factory settings would solve the problem
Hicksey

Hicksey proclaimed: