amd or intel?

Old July 19th 04, 05:05 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:31:16 +0100, Ben Pope wrote:

I don't wish to single you out because you are not alone, but as an
example you spent $12 on a 600W PSU (am I right?)

Nope, the 600W was $24. 500W $12, and 550W was $15, but the $15 included
shipping.

So you are Average Joe purchasing products based on price, not quality.

I don't think you could find one person that has worked with me call me
average, but I do try for the best bang for the buck. I don't care about
support for computer hardware as I know it quite well. I also know that if
I pay $100 for a PSU, that turns into $200, including the spare. I also
know that the failure rate of the cheap PSU's aren't that much greater
than ones costing 5-10 times as much. And I also know I wouldn't wait for
a warranrty repair/replacement to get my system back up so the warranty is
basiclly worthless to me. I also know that some of the so called major
brands are the same as ones costing 1/5 or less the pice of the major
brands. Of all the PSU's I used in the last 5 years, they are all still
working except one, and that was my fualt for being lazy when the fan
stopped and instead of opening the draweer for an non conductive stick I
have, I stuck a metal screwdriver in it, and one littlle slip was just a
little to far. Now just think how ****ed I'd have been at myself if that
had been a $100 PSU.:-)

For $12 I know you aren't expecting great things from it (or any kind of
customer service, I would hope), hence the spare one, and that is the
extreme end of the scale, but it stuck in my mind!

I've literally built hundreds of PC's for voicemail sytems we sold (and
also maintained). I've seen failures at all ends of the price spectrum and
the high end isn't any better than the low end in general. That includes
MB's, PSU's, CPU's and almost anything to do with with electronics
in desktop PC's. One exception to the low end was when I bought 10 new AT
PSU's for $2 each. They looked like crap and had a 20% failure rate.
Should have stayed with the $5 ones.:-)

Old July 19th 04, 08:32 AM
Pseudo Namen

"Marshall Law" wrote in message
XS11E wrote:

dano wrote in news:dano45-
:

In article ,
(Codemutant) wrote:

I am planning to use asus motherboard with the in
build geforce. Do tell me tips to keep my amd cooler and in perfect
working condition.

Tip on asus if you plan to use linux:
http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html

Pure fiction written by someone with a grudge agains ASUS, see my post
under "Is this true about ASUS".

ASUS supports Linux to the same extent they support any other OS, not
at all.

The story is poorly laid out, of that there is no contest. Whether it is
fiction or not is another issue. It is also no contest that Asus is
benefitting from a Microsoft relantionship.

Personally, since this claim came out, I'm watching Asus more carefully
but
I have not yet decided what the truth is.

If you were in business, wouldn't you choose the Lion's share over a meager
share? ASUS is in business to make money. Linux is for the most part a GNU
based OS, which is of course FREE. However, I have never heard of any ASUS
motherboard that couldn't run Linux, at least not the most popular versions
such as Mandrake or Redhat. There are many versions of Linux out there, and
there may be some that won't run well on Gigabyte, or Supermicro, or maybe
MSI???

The whole thing is based on some whiner who wants ASUS to write drivers for
an OS that is not only fringe, but has many distro's. Microsoft has
basically 4 distro's they support. Windows 9x/ME (one and the same
basically), Windows 2000, and Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server editions.

My motherboard brand is Chaintech. While it comes with Windows Drivers on
the CD, it doesn't come with Linux drivers. Does this mean they are
anti-Linux? I don't think so. Over 90% of PC's run Windows. Therefore, it
makes since for them to include drivers for Windows on it. But, I can get
drivers for my motherboard from NVIDIA, the maker of the chipset that is
used on my motherboard. NVIDIA also has Linux drivers too for this chipset.

Linux is not, I repeat NOT a major OS in the world, no matter how much you
want it to be. Get over it. Linux is a fringe OS, just as OS X is a fringe
OS. Which OS is better? That is for the consumer to decide. I like to use
both Mandrake & Windows. I would use Mandrake 10 64bit right now in
conjunction with Windows XP if Mandrake would support Mandrake 10 64bit, but
alas.... they choose not to. So for now, I am only running Windows XP Pro
until I can get another HD to run Mandrake 10.x on. ) (my 80gig HD is
much too small for running both XP and Mandrake. I have way too many games
and apps, and movies for that)

Ok, I digressed... LOL But you look on any CD that comes with the latest
motherboards, (motherboards made in the last year) and tell me which one has
native Linux drivers on it? Linux drivers, as well as Linux apps, are for
the most part written by users, not companies.

I hope this cleared this matter up.

Old July 19th 04, 05:01 PM
XS11E

"Pseudo Namen" wrote in
:

"Marshall Law" wrote in message
XS11E wrote:

dano wrote in news:dano45-
:

In article ,
(Codemutant) wrote:

[...]

Now, let's be perfectly fair here, ASUS does NOT write drivers for ANY
OS. When I bought my ASUS motherboard it came with a CD full of
drivers written by the manufacturers of the devices on the motherboard
and provided to ASUS by those companies, NONE of the drivers were
written by ASUS.

If the open source community wanted to provide drivers for those
devices they have two choices, send them to ASUS and have ASUS make a
Linux driver CD or do as always, include the drivers in the distro.
Either way works fine but if the drivers are included in the distro
it's possible to miss one.

Having said that, let me point out that my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe is an
AMD64 motherboard and it uses some uncommon hardware for sound and for
the LAN. The Mandrake 64 bit edition supports this MB fully and
completely, the Mandrake 10.0 32 bit distro does not. It appears that
Mandrake (maybe others?) has tailored the 64bit distro to available
64bit motherboards and that works for me! It's MUCH easier and faster
to install Mandrake and have everything work than it is to install
Windows XP and have NOTHING work until I insert the provided CD and
install sound, LAN and chipset drivers.

My motherboard brand is Chaintech. While it comes with Windows
Drivers on the CD, it doesn't come with Linux drivers. Does this
mean they are anti-Linux? I don't think so. Over 90% of PC's run
Windows. Therefore, it makes since for them to include drivers for
Windows on it. But, I can get drivers for my motherboard from
NVIDIA, the maker of the chipset that is used on my motherboard.
NVIDIA also has Linux drivers too for this chipset.

And I'll bet all or most of the needed drivers are included in the
distro if you're running the latest version?

Old July 19th 04, 05:04 PM
XS11E

Post Replies Here Please wrote in
:

Wow! First link. Anyway the did not give support for Windows
either. I guess the author forgot to mention that. Whatever

The error does not occur in Windows (neither does it occur in Linux on
my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MB?).

Old July 19th 04, 09:44 PM
Wes Newell

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 09:04:17 -0700, XS11E wrote:

Post Replies Here Please wrote in
:

Wow! First link. Anyway the did not give support for Windows
either. I guess the author forgot to mention that. Whatever

The error does not occur in Windows (neither does it occur in Linux on
my ASUS K8V SE Deluxe MB?).

Sure it does. You just don't see it because the driver takes care of the
problem. If I buy a new car and there's a hole in the spare tire nothing
will be affected until I try and use it. The Linux driver tried to use it,
it failed, they wrote aroundit. Problem still there, just not visible.