How to erase files on a cd-r?

Old January 21st 04, 01:15 AM
Harri85274

Default How to erase files on a cd-r?

i have Nero 5.5v and have about 10 wave files on a cd-r. I tried to erase them
on windows explorer but am denied. I know one doesn't actually erased them, but
would not like to see them appear. BTW, I'm assuming that even they are
'erased' they still would occupy all that space they took up originally?
Multisession does not seem to give that erase option.
Old January 21st 04, 01:50 AM
Steve Marshall

"Harri85274" wrote

i have Nero 5.5v and have about 10 wave files on a cd-r. I tried to erase

them
on windows explorer but am denied. I know one doesn't actually erased

them, but
would not like to see them appear. BTW, I'm assuming that even they are
'erased' they still would occupy all that space they took up originally?
Multisession does not seem to give that erase option.

You can't erase files on a CDr. You need a CDrw if you want erasable files.
On those it isn't too easy. You need to format using packet writing software
(INCD with Nero). I don't think individual files can be erased with that.
To wipe them reformat the CDrw . Usually software gives you an option to
Quick erase.

Steve M

Old January 21st 04, 02:17 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

Harri85274 wrote:

i have Nero 5.5v and have about 10 wave files on a cd-r. I tried to erase them
on windows explorer but am denied. I know one doesn't actually erased them, but
would not like to see them appear. BTW, I'm assuming that even they are
'erased' they still would occupy all that space they took up originally?
Multisession does not seem to give that erase option.

Select "Continue" multisession, delete the unwanted files in the layout
window, and then burn. The unwanted files will be "logically" erased.
Old January 21st 04, 05:13 AM
Mike Richter

Harri85274 wrote:
i have Nero 5.5v and have about 10 wave files on a cd-r. I tried to erase them
on windows explorer but am denied. I know one doesn't actually erased them, but
would not like to see them appear. BTW, I'm assuming that even they are
'erased' they still would occupy all that space they took up originally?
Multisession does not seem to give that erase option.

For such basic questions, please see one of the usual references: the
CD-R FAQ or the primer at my WWW site. Briefly:

A write-once disc is not erasable. In order to make a data file more
difficult to access and to remove it from the TOC, you must have left
the disc open and write a second session in which you do not import the
file.

There is no corresponding operation for CD-DA since an audio player is
single-session.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old January 21st 04, 07:08 AM
smh

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote:

For such basic questions, please see one of the usual references: the
CD-R FAQ...

CD-R FAQ, Mikey? Isn't that the site "quite dated" and has
"significant" errors, Mikey?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 5/24/02

I've posted privately to Andy on the FAQ section.

It is quite dated ... and has significant errors
=====================

-----------------------
No friggin' ****, Mikey
-----------------------
Old January 21st 04, 07:30 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) wrote:

Harri85274 wrote:
i have Nero 5.5v...

Why are you commenting on Nero, Mikey?

I have not used Nero
I don't know Nero at all

[...not use...not know...not write...]

I do not comment on what I don't know.

---------------------
What a Friggin' ****!
---------------------

Also, was Adrian Miller wrong about you, Mikey?
=======================
From: Adrian Miller
Subject: Sam needs to apologise to Mike now.
(was: Wife Beating Stopped, Mike Richter?)
Date: 4/25/01

Unlike certain people he does not like to speculate on matters
that he does not have personal experience of.
=======================

Didn't Adrian Miller have reliable information then, Mikey?
=====================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 8/2/01

[Adrian Miller] does provide reliable information
when he has it in my experience.
======================

--------------------------------------
Old January 21st 04, 04:42 PM
SleeperMan

typed:

"Harri85274" wrote

i have Nero 5.5v and have about 10 wave files on a cd-r. I tried to
erase them on windows explorer but am denied. I know one doesn't
actually erased them, but would not like to see them appear. BTW,
I'm assuming that even they are 'erased' they still would occupy all
that space they took up originally? Multisession does not seem to
give that erase option.

You can't erase files on a CDr.

Wrong. You can.

You need a CDrw if you want erasable
files. On those it isn't too easy. You need to format using packet
writing software (INCD with Nero). I don't think individual files
can be erased with that. To wipe them reformat the CDrw . Usually
software gives you an option to Quick erase.

wrong again. see reply from SMH

Steve M

Old January 22nd 04, 02:05 AM
NobodyMan

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:42:31 +0100, "SleeperMan"
wrote:

typed:

"Harri85274" wrote

i have Nero 5.5v and have about 10 wave files on a cd-r. I tried to
erase them on windows explorer but am denied. I know one doesn't
actually erased them, but would not like to see them appear. BTW,
I'm assuming that even they are 'erased' they still would occupy all
that space they took up originally? Multisession does not seem to
give that erase option.

You can't erase files on a CDr.

Wrong. You can.

Wrong. You can't "erase" files from a CDR. If you have formatted the
CDR for packet-writing, yes, you can make it look like you "erased" or
"deleted" the file - but it's still there on the CDR. The entry in
the TOC was updated to make it ignore that file, but it CAN'T be
erased as CDR media is not "erasable."

Old January 22nd 04, 03:48 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

NobodyMan wrote:

"SleeperMan" wrote:

typed:

"Harri85274" wrote

i have Nero 5.5v and have about 10 wave files on a cd-r. I tried to
erase them on windows explorer but am denied. I know one doesn't
actually erased them, but would not like to see them appear. BTW,
I'm assuming that even they are 'erased' they still would occupy all
that space they took up originally? Multisession does not seem to
give that erase option.

You can't erase files on a CDr.

Wrong. You can.

Wrong. You can't "erase" files from a CDR. If you have formatted the
CDR for packet-writing, yes,

you can make it look like you "erased" or "deleted" the file

- but it's still there on the CDR. The entry in
the TOC was updated to make it ignore that file, but it CAN'T be
erased as CDR media is not "erasable."

Can't a "look like" erase be considered as an erase?

(A TOC is not a file system directory, btw.)