Advice on new PC build

Old October 23rd 04, 09:25 AM
Who cares

Default Advice on new PC build

Dear friends,

Would you please take a look at my components and prices for my future PC.
The PC will be use for game playing, everyday applications and some video
and music editing.

Thinking of purchasing the following:

CPU:
AMD ATHLON 64 3500+ RETAIL BOXED 64-BIT SOCKET 939 W/COOLING FAN (3 YEARS
WARRANTY)
$282.00

MOBO:
MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM BUNDLE W/ RETAILED $136.50

MEMORY:
CRUCIAL 1 GB DDR400 (512MB X 2) $184.00
(more expesive than Kingston)

CASE & PSU:

ANTEC TRUE480 480W UL & FCC POWER SUPPLY FOR ATX
CASES
$86.00

ANTEC P160 ALUMINUM MID TOWER NO POWER SUPPLY W/ FRONT USB CONNECTOR
W/EXTRA FAN (FRONT)
$114.50

ALTERNATE SETTING FOR CASE & PSU:
*********
ANTEC PLUS VIEW 1000 PERFORMANCE PLUS SERIES ATX SOHO FILE SERVER W/
CLEAR
SIDE PANEL NO PS
-5.25bays 2- 3.5bays 4-3.5 int.bays. 3 Short & 4 Full length expansion
slots. Front mounted USB &
IEEE1394
$79.95

Antec True Blue 480W ATX12V Power Supply Blue illuminated Retail Box 3
yrs warr.

$90.00
***********

Does anyone have had any problems with the components mentioned above?

As far as the case is concern, I am more inclined to purchasing the aluminum
case because the case will help to dissipate some of the head generated by
the components. What do you think? Although, a window might look awesome.
However, I can always MOD the case later on.

I already have a couple of hd's, a WD 250 gigs and Hitachi 250 gigs (for
backup). I also have a Plextor 12X DVD burner ready to be installed.

I need advice on a good video card for games, drafting and applications.
I'm asking you to provide me advice, from your experience, with brands and
models, memory size, but not overly expensive. Are 256MB worth the price
compared to the 128MB?

The same goes for the sound card. Does the Audigy 2 sounds good enough?
The sound card I'm planning to get later on.

I am not rich, but I have been saving a few pennies for a while for this new
toy.

Your advice and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

MasterBlaster
(Please respond only to the newsgroup, thanks)

Old October 24th 04, 10:46 PM
Tj

1 Dump AMd and go with Intel.
2. Go with Intel processor and MB.
3. Msi....if you can't afford a better motherboard hold off buying.
4. Nice case and Ram.
5. What are you doing for Video? You might get away with onboard lan and
sound but never Video. You do play games right!
Just my opinion after build a dozen and upgrading a few dozen.

nk.net...

Old October 25th 04, 06:20 AM
Mac Cool

Tj:

3. Msi....if you can't afford a better motherboard hold off buying.

The MSI board has received positive reviews, it is fast, stable and
quality built.
--
Mac Cool