Advice on components for a new PC

Old October 18th 03, 01:36 PM

Default Advice on components for a new PC

Greetings,

I am in the market for a new computer. I will be using the computer
as kind of a multimedia center. I live in a small apartment, so I am
interested in making the best use of my space. I plan to use one of
ATI's All-in-wonder video cards and then buying a 21 inch monitor to
use as a television. I will also have a CDWR/DVD installed so that I
can watch DVD movies.

Okay now that you know what I am going to use the computer for, I
would like some advice regarding the internal components. I have
looked at a lot of reviews on everything from motherboards to power
supplies and here are my results:

Case: Lian-Li PC-61 Black Aluminum

Motherboard: MSI 865PE NEO2-LS LAN/DDR400 AGP8X (Intel 865PE 800 FSB)

Processor: Intel P4 478 2.4 GHz 800 FSB

RAM: 512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR RAM 184-pin DIMM

Hard Drive: Western Digital 80 GB 800JB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM

CD-RW/DVD: Samsung Combo SM-352B CD-RW/DVD 52x/24x/52x -16x DVD

Video Card: ATI TV Wonder VE PCI Remote Control Edition

Power Supply: I have not decided on a power supply yet, but there are
a couple of reviews that I have referenced below.
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841&p=14
http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/index.html

I would like to get any suggestions or advice about a good power
supply. Also the motherboard that I chose was found to be the best of
the bunch in a test in Tom's Hardware Guide. However, I have been
told that ASUS boards are better quality and offer better stability.
Basically, I would just like to get suggestions from a few different
people to make sure that I am not overlooking something. I don't like
to ask salespeople for advice because I never know if there is a
conflict of interest.
Old October 18th 03, 04:32 PM
)-()-(

[...]

If computer noise bothers you, have a look at this site.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...ticles&secid=4

http://silentpcreview.com/

Old October 19th 03, 05:26 AM
)-()-(

[...]

OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition ?
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1905&p=8

Old October 19th 03, 05:34 PM

I hadn't heard of the Windows XP Media Center Edition until you wrote
your comment. Thanks for responding! )
Old October 19th 03, 11:05 PM
Timothy Daniels

I hadn't heard of the Windows XP Media Center Edition until you wrote
your comment. Thanks for responding! )

Check out p.38 of this November's PC World to see which
manufacturer's are now putting the WinXP, Media Center Ed.,
in their products.

*TimDaniels*
Old October 19th 03, 11:35 PM
JULIAN HALES

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
I hadn't heard of the Windows XP Media Center Edition until you wrote
your comment. Thanks for responding! )

Check out p.38 of this November's PC World to see which
manufacturer's are now putting the WinXP, Media Center Ed.,
in their products.

*TimDaniels*

The UK Msoft guy was on sky news a couple of weeks back tryin to ssay how
wonderful this and other of there products were great, i emaile in and they
read it out and he was umming and arring and didnt really know what to say,
it looks like a bag of old ****e from what i did see.

Old October 20th 03, 03:00 AM
Timothy Daniels

"JULIAN HALES" wrote:

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:

Check out p.38 of this November's PC World to see which
manufacturer's are now putting the WinXP, Media Center Ed.,
in their products.

The UK Msoft guy was on sky news a couple of weeks back tryin
to ssay how wonderful this and other of there products were great,
i emaile in and they read it out and he was umming and arring and
didnt really know what to say, it looks like a bag of old ****e from
what i did see.

MS's Media Center Edition probably needs more tuning and
development as MS is not known for getting things right the first
time. Their modus operandi is to get a product out the door so
as to intimidate their smaller competitors. The gist of the article
is that several manufacturers see a market potential large enough
and MS's Media Center Edition good enough to begin pumping
out products at this point (to grab early market share).

*TimDaniels*
Old October 20th 03, 03:36 AM
JAD

http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

check this out and you will understand why this is... AND how it will change computers as we know them...