P2 LX and GF4Ti

Old June 11th 05, 02:09 AM
~misfit~

David Maynard wrote:

LX is a 66 Mhz FSB chipset and although it's theoretically capable of
being clocked at 100Mhz FSB I don't know of any motherboards that did
it.

I was given an old AT Atrend 6310M (ATC6310M) LX mobo in a pile of junk.
It's such an early model that it didn't even have a retaining mechanism for
the CPU, just a slot. (Remember some of the early ones?)

It has a jumper for 66/100MHz FSB so I fitted a retaining mechanism (it has
holes for one) and a PII450. To my surprise it worked seemingly perfectly at
450MHz. However when the screensaver and monitor power-down kicked in it
wouldn't wake up again and had to be rebooted. I couldn't remedy it at the
time and put it away for a while. When I tried to tackle it again a couple
months later it wouldn't even boot. I spent a couple of hours fiddling with
it and have since given up. shrug It was only spare parts thrown together
anyway, I'd just figured it may have made a semi-useful donation to some
PC-less person if I could have got it running OK.
--
~misfit~

Old June 11th 05, 03:26 AM
David Maynard

~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

LX is a 66 Mhz FSB chipset and although it's theoretically capable of
being clocked at 100Mhz FSB I don't know of any motherboards that did
it.

I was given an old AT Atrend 6310M (ATC6310M) LX mobo in a pile of junk.
It's such an early model that it didn't even have a retaining mechanism for
the CPU, just a slot. (Remember some of the early ones?)

It has a jumper for 66/100MHz FSB

Well, no kidding? Now I know of one

so I fitted a retaining mechanism (it has
holes for one) and a PII450. To my surprise it worked seemingly perfectly at
450MHz. However when the screensaver and monitor power-down kicked in it
wouldn't wake up again and had to be rebooted. I couldn't remedy it at the
time and put it away for a while. When I tried to tackle it again a couple
months later it wouldn't even boot. I spent a couple of hours fiddling with
it and have since given up. shrug

Sounds like one of those only at midnight on tuesdays with a full moon kind
of thing.

Old June 12th 05, 02:48 AM
~misfit~

David Maynard wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:

I was given an old AT Atrend 6310M (ATC6310M) LX mobo in a pile of
junk. It's such an early model that it didn't even have a retaining
mechanism for the CPU, just a slot. (Remember some of the early
ones?)

It has a jumper for 66/100MHz FSB

Well, no kidding? Now I know of one

Yeah. I was quite surprised. Firstly at managing to find a manual to
download, then at the fact that an LX board could be clocked to 100MHz FSB.
I was under the impression that the BX was the first 100MHZ chipset. As the
only PII CPUs I have are a 233 and a 450 it was a no-brainer to put the 450
in. I ran prime95 and SETI with it when it was running and it went
faultlessly, *until* the power-saving turned off the monitor.

I thought I'd finally found a board that might be worth putting in this
really well-made full tower AT case I have here. Very nice case, has a door
over the drives, an LED display for CPU speed (set manually) and built like
a brick outhouse. Must have cost a fortune new, I bought it with a
SCSI-based 50Mhz 486 system in it and 256MB (2 x 128) of 72-pin RAM for $10.

Looks like it's time to dump it.

Sounds like one of those only at midnight on tuesdays with a full
moon kind of thing.

Yep, it was indeed.
--
~misfit~

Old June 12th 05, 03:35 AM
David Maynard

~misfit~ wrote:
David Maynard wrote:

~misfit~ wrote:

I was given an old AT Atrend 6310M (ATC6310M) LX mobo in a pile of
junk. It's such an early model that it didn't even have a retaining
mechanism for the CPU, just a slot. (Remember some of the early
ones?)

It has a jumper for 66/100MHz FSB

Well, no kidding? Now I know of one

Yeah. I was quite surprised. Firstly at managing to find a manual to
download, then at the fact that an LX board could be clocked to 100MHz FSB.
I was under the impression that the BX was the first 100MHZ chipset.

Your impression was right, 'officially'.

As I said, I've never seen an LX that could run 100 Mhz FSB. I've only read
that it was supposedly 'capable' of it (but Intel never supported it or
said it could).

Old June 12th 05, 08:57 AM
~misfit~

David Maynard wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
David Maynard wrote:

~misfit~ wrote:

I was given an old AT Atrend 6310M (ATC6310M) LX mobo in a pile of
junk. It's such an early model that it didn't even have a retaining
mechanism for the CPU, just a slot. (Remember some of the early
ones?)

It has a jumper for 66/100MHz FSB

Well, no kidding? Now I know of one

Yeah. I was quite surprised. Firstly at managing to find a manual to
download, then at the fact that an LX board could be clocked to
100MHz FSB. I was under the impression that the BX was the first
100MHZ chipset.

Your impression was right, 'officially'.

As I said, I've never seen an LX that could run 100 Mhz FSB. I've
only read that it was supposedly 'capable' of it (but Intel never
supported it or said it could).

D'oh! Now I feel like an idiot. I've just checked and it's ZX chipset. My
apologies.
--
~misfit~

Old June 13th 05, 03:57 AM
David Maynard

~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

~misfit~ wrote:

[...]

Oh well, just one little letter off.

OTOH, there are only TWO. hehe

Old June 14th 05, 07:37 AM
~misfit~

David Maynard wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:
As I said, I've never seen an LX that could run 100 Mhz FSB. I've
only read that it was supposedly 'capable' of it (but Intel never
supported it or said it could).

D'oh! Now I feel like an idiot. I've just checked and it's ZX
chipset. My apologies.

Oh well, just one little letter off.

OTOH, there are only TWO. hehe

LOL, only 50% right. I know next-to-nothing about the ZX chipset. In fact I
didn't know it existed. I just saw that it was Slot 1 and not BX and thought
"LX". Must be getting old. :-)
--
~misfit~

Old June 14th 05, 08:27 AM
David Maynard

~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

As I said, I've never seen an LX that could run 100 Mhz FSB. I've
only read that it was supposedly 'capable' of it (but Intel never
supported it or said it could).

D'oh! Now I feel like an idiot. I've just checked and it's ZX
chipset. My apologies.

Oh well, just one little letter off.

OTOH, there are only TWO. hehe

LOL, only 50% right. I know next-to-nothing about the ZX chipset. In fact I
didn't know it existed. I just saw that it was Slot 1 and not BX and thought
"LX". Must be getting old. :-)
--
~misfit~

The ZX is essentially a slightly skinnied BX chipset, like 2 memory slots
instead of 3 (4 if buffered) for the BX.

Old June 14th 05, 09:42 AM
GinTonix

"David Maynard" kirjoitti viestissä
~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

LOL, only 50% right. I know next-to-nothing about the ZX chipset. In

fact I
didn't know it existed. I just saw that it was Slot 1 and not BX and

thought
"LX". Must be getting old. :-)
--
~misfit~

The ZX is essentially a slightly skinnied BX chipset, like 2 memory slots
instead of 3 (4 if buffered) for the BX.

And the official max memory amount for ZX is 256MB instead of 768 for BX.
However, e.g. Abit has manufactured a ZX board (ZM6 it was?) where you can
have more. The ZM6 (if it was called that) has three slots but there were
some rules what kind of sticks you could use in which slots. Can't remember
the fitting rules any more, though.

--
gt

Old June 14th 05, 11:36 AM
~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

LOL, only 50% right. I know next-to-nothing about the ZX chipset.
In fact I didn't know it existed. I just saw that it was Slot 1 and
not BX and thought "LX". Must be getting old. :-)
--
~misfit~

The ZX is essentially a slightly skinnied BX chipset, like 2 memory
slots instead of 3 (4 if buffered) for the BX.

And the official max memory amount for ZX is 256MB instead of 768 for
BX. However, e.g. Abit has manufactured a ZX board (ZM6 it was?)
where you can have more. The ZM6 (if it was called that) has three
slots but there were some rules what kind of sticks you could use in
which slots. Can't remember the fitting rules any more, though.

The third slot could only have a single-sided module in it. At least
according to the bit I found out about ZX after realising my faux pas.
--
~misfit~

gf4ti vs. r9700 orlando Ati Videocards 22 June 11th 04 12:23 AM
gf4ti vs. r9700 orlando Nvidia Videocards 22 June 11th 04 12:23 AM
GF4Ti help Tamas Nvidia Videocards 1 January 2nd 04 08:52 AM
GF4Ti Piotrek Nvidia Videocards 3 October 27th 03 02:43 PM