P2 LX and GF4Ti

Old June 6th 05, 11:19 AM
RJAG

Default P2 LX and GF4Ti

I have rediscovered my old Pentium II 333MHz with an LX mobo and I want to
use it for the kids. some of their games seem to run very slowly with its
GF2 MX card but my GF4 wont even boot up when I tried it. is there any way
in which I can make an LX board work with this card.
the box gf4 box does say that a P III is required.

Old June 6th 05, 03:52 PM
Richard Hopkins

"RJAG" wrote in message...
I have rediscovered my old Pentium II 333MHz with an LX mobo and I
want to use it for the kids. some of their games seem to run very slowly
with its GF2 MX card

What do you expect? It's a 333MHz CPU, with 66MHz memory. It won't *just* be
the graphics card, the processor and memory bus will also be severe
bottlenecks. Even if you could boot with the faster graphics card, I doubt
you would notice any significant difference in the gaming performance.

but my GF4 wont even boot up when I tried it. is there any way in which I
can make an LX board work with this card.

Probably not.

the box gf4 box does say that a P III is required.

What does it say about AGP slot requirements? If the card requires an AGP
2.0 compatible port, you're out of luck, as the board won't support the
necessary signalling voltages. As has been said above, the GF2 is probably
about the sweet spot for the rest of your hardware. If they want to play
their games faster, you'll need to shell out on some more hardware.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old June 7th 05, 12:53 AM
RJAG

Thanks. I guess it means they're limited unless they can get at my computer
in which case nothings safe any more.

Old June 7th 05, 05:43 PM
David Maynard

RJAG wrote:

I have rediscovered my old Pentium II 333MHz with an LX mobo and I want to
use it for the kids. some of their games seem to run very slowly with its
GF2 MX card but my GF4 wont even boot up when I tried it. is there any way
in which I can make an LX board work with this card.
the box gf4 box does say that a P III is required.

The GF4 is certainly 4x minimum, maybe 8X, and the LX AGP will be 2x at
best. It's incompatible with the AGP slot.

The processor is too slow to use it effectively anyway even if it worked.

The best thing is to stick with older games that fit the capabilities of
the system (P-300 GF2)

Old June 8th 05, 01:32 AM
P2B

David Maynard wrote:

RJAG wrote:

I have rediscovered my old Pentium II 333MHz with an LX mobo and I
want to use it for the kids. some of their games seem to run very
slowly with its GF2 MX card but my GF4 wont even boot up when I tried
it. is there any way in which I can make an LX board work with this
card.
the box gf4 box does say that a P III is required.

The GF4 is certainly 4x minimum, maybe 8X, and the LX AGP will be 2x at
best. It's incompatible with the AGP slot.

I have an Asus GF4 that works in an LX AGP slot. The GF4 box says it
supports AGP 1x 2x 4x - but perhaps AGP support varies by manufacturer?

Old June 8th 05, 08:44 AM
David Maynard

P2B wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

RJAG wrote:

I have rediscovered my old Pentium II 333MHz with an LX mobo and I
want to use it for the kids. some of their games seem to run very
slowly with its GF2 MX card but my GF4 wont even boot up when I tried
it. is there any way in which I can make an LX board work with this
card.
the box gf4 box does say that a P III is required.

The GF4 is certainly 4x minimum, maybe 8X, and the LX AGP will be 2x
at best. It's incompatible with the AGP slot.

I have an Asus GF4 that works in an LX AGP slot. The GF4 box says it
supports AGP 1x 2x 4x - but perhaps AGP support varies by manufacturer?

Right. A 4x board might have backward compatibility to 2x but it depends on
the manufacturer. It isn't 'required' (but rather common for 4x). There is
even a backward path for 8x but it is rather rare for 8x boards to bother
going all the way back to 2x.

I wasn't real clear. What I meant was the symptom indicated *his* board was
incompatible.

Old June 10th 05, 08:04 AM
GinTonix

"David Maynard" kirjoitti viestissä
P2B wrote:

David Maynard wrote:

RJAG wrote:

[...]

Yeah, maybe incompatible but perhaps it's the voltage. I suspect the GF4
won't get enough power thru the LX AGP, IIRC there were some problems with
LX chipset mobos and even the older 3D cards in those times.

The processor is too slow to use it effectively anyway even if it

worked.

The best thing is to stick with older games that fit the capabilities
of the system (P-300 GF2)

Sounds good to me, too. There is a vague possibility that the mobo can
overclock the FSB and by doing that it might be possible to seat in a more
powerful CPU but it'd be easier to find a "new" old system and use it
instead. And probably cheaper, too.

Even when overclocked the LX chipset just cannot support a CPU which would
leave the vidcard as the bottleneck. The original poster didn't mention the
amount of memory in the system, maybe he'd get better along if he added
some?

--
gt

Old June 11th 05, 01:34 AM
David Maynard

GinTonix wrote:

"David Maynard" kirjoitti viestiss=E4
=20
P2B wrote:

?

[...]

LX is a 66 Mhz FSB chipset and although it's theoretically capable of bei=
ng=20
clocked at 100Mhz FSB I don't know of any motherboards that did it.

=20
Even when overclocked the LX chipset just cannot support a CPU which wo=

uld
leave the vidcard as the bottleneck. The original poster didn't mention=

the
amount of memory in the system, maybe he'd get better along if he added=

some?
=20

gf4ti vs. r9700 orlando Ati Videocards 22 June 11th 04 12:23 AM
gf4ti vs. r9700 orlando Nvidia Videocards 22 June 11th 04 12:23 AM
GF4Ti help Tamas Nvidia Videocards 1 January 2nd 04 07:52 AM
GF4Ti Piotrek Nvidia Videocards 3 October 27th 03 01:43 PM