Overclocking Qs

Old September 29th 03, 01:30 AM
newtknight

Shep,
I think you come close to the truth. I new someone who had a
computer and was always messing with it, finally he tried to upgrade the
computer's microprocessor and it never worked again. However, this seemed to
work, since he spend hours and hours working on it. I lost touch with him
some months later, but I think he has given up since then, since it was five
or six years ago.

What was notable to me was that he didn't do anything much with the computer
except fool with it.

Who needs to over clock? Is it computer gamers? I doubt that there are that
many people overclocking for molecular modeling or something.

Ed

"Shep©" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:38:08 GMT, In this world we created
"newtknight" wrote :

Exactly why do you need to over clock?

Freedom of choice.

What percentage of people into overclocking get on dates or ever laid?

exactly the same amount who die.

Why can't you just use the computer instead of messing with it?

Because we all like picking scabs off wounds ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply

Old September 29th 03, 03:22 AM
al

Things are not nesecerely thruth because it comes from you.But it was stupid
allright.
Stop bother and have a nice day.
al
"newtknight" skrev i meddelandet
nk.net...
Seems I got fairly close to the truth here.

"Hank" wrote in message
.com...

"newtknight" wrote in message
ink.net...
Exactly why do you need to over clock?

What percentage of people into overclocking get on dates or ever laid?

Why can't you just use the computer instead of messing with it?

Ed Sebesta

Why can't you just ****off and die?

Hank

Old September 29th 03, 04:05 AM
Lester Horwinkle

But does it do any good? I'm told that you need to gain 30% in speed before
the user notices it. And that's 30% total processing speed, not just 30% CPU
speed. Can you overclock your drives and your internet to keep up?

"Fishface" ? wrote in message
newtknight wrote:

Overclocking is about efficiency.

Old September 29th 03, 04:24 AM
GTD

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:38:08 GMT, "newtknight"
wrote:

Exactly why do you need to over clock?

Who says anyone NEEDS to. Just like nobody NEEDS a nice car, as any
car will get you from point A to point B. The fact of the matter is
that if you listed what you do for recreation here, You'd get it
chewed up an spit back in your face for "all those stupid things you
do, but don't really need to"

What percentage of people into overclocking get on dates or ever laid?

This obviously comes from someone trying to make a point about
themself that is opposite of the truth. If you can't do any better
than the old "you are different than me, so you must never get laid",
then don't even try.

Why can't you just use the computer instead of messing with it?

Because some people just feel like it. Is that so hard to imagine?

Old September 29th 03, 12:26 PM
Ed Medlin

[...]

Overclocking is a hobby. That is about it. We are usually technically
savvy people who have been working on these things for years. There are no
problems with doing it, if you know what you are doing. Your friend
apparently was not very technically inclined or he would have got it going
again. I would say that most of us have damaged something, at least those
like myself who have been in the business for 30 years. The majority of
people just connect the components and run their system for 3-4 years and
then upgrade. Most of us (speaking for the people here I have known a long
time) piecemeal their upgrades over a period of a couple years and then
start again.....:-). Is it cost effective? Probably not. It is, however,
very interesting and kills a bit of time not spent in front of a TV dumbing
yourself down. I also build high-performance engines and am into street
rodding. I guess you think that is ignorant too. The same basic rules apply
to that as they do to computer overclocking, i.e.., cooling, compatibility
etc............

Ed M.

Old September 29th 03, 01:28 PM
Skid

"Lester Horwinkle" wrote in message
But does it do any good? I'm told that you need to gain 30% in speed

before
the user notices it. And that's 30% total processing speed, not just 30%

CPU
speed. Can you overclock your drives and your internet to keep up?

Did me some good, and saved me some cash. I bought the cheapest P4C Intel
offers, a 2.4 ghz, and an inexpensive pair of 256-meg ram sticks rated at
200 mhz.

The cpu is now running at 3.3 ghz, faster than any stock P4, and the memory
is at 220 mhz with tighter timings than the default for even more bandwidth.

The system pegs every benchmark and is perfectly stable in every torture
test I can throw at it, looping Prime95 and MemTest86 all night without
errors.

The video card is a cheapo Radeon 9500, modded with a drop of conductive
paint and a bios flash to a full-fledged 9700 and overclocked to faster than
a retail Pro that cost almost three times as much.

I bought the motherboard, cpu and ram for less than Intel wanted for a 3.2g
P4 cpu alone, and my setup is faster. With a cable connection and a case
full of quick drives, it doesn't lag in any category.

Do I notice the speed? Sure I do.

I can crank up the eye candy to the max and get super-smooth framerates in
the most demanding games. Working in Photoshop, burning a DVD, compiling a
database, I don't waste nearly as much time sitting around waiting for the
computer to complete its tasks.

As others have said, it is a hobby. To me, buying a PC someone else put
together and never touching it except to surf or compose e-mail is the real
waste.

But then, I also have a BMW and a Saab turbo parked out front in a land
where I'm not supposed to drive over 65 mph. It's just nice to know I can
occasionally blast around the backroads in a machine that responds instantly
with a real kick in the pants when I give it some juice.

Some people prefer Gateways and Toyotas because they are cheap and fairly
reliable. That's their choice and I respect it.

I have a Dell P4 2.4 on my desk at work. It gets the job done, but it's not
very exciting and everything takes longer than it does on my homemade
system.

That's why I overclock.

Old September 29th 03, 02:29 PM
Overlord

wrote:

Exactly why do you need to over clock?

It'll be longer before I need to spend the money to upgrade the main
system. When I last upgraded to this 3.06gig Intel, I benched the
system and then overclocked it by going into the BIOS and bumping up
the FSB. Ended up with something like 3496 instead of 3060 and only
gained 2° in temps. Total cost; well I did have to reboot, call it 1
minute. That worked fine until I found out this Asus mb was dumbing
down my ram at high FSB settings. Took almost an hour of scouring the
net to find and flash a hacked BIOS that sets my ram timings to what I
say they need to be. 2-2-2-5 is much better than 3-3-3-7
What percentage of people into overclocking get on dates or ever laid?

Don't know that the data on that has ever been collected; why don't
you make that your life's work?
I don't go on dates these days. I'm a single dad and my son is 6.
Time is at a premium.
'Course my ex gf still comes over once a week or so. I boink her, and
she spends the night in the spare bedroom. In the morning I leave to
drop my son at school and go on to work. She stays late, washes the
dishes, does the laundry, vacuums occasionally, and she's gone when I
get home from work. Of course it's not perfect. I really do need to
get out more and find my son a mom. He has very well defined system
specs in this regard....
Why can't you just use the computer instead of messing with it?

I suppose because I can. I'm funny that way.
When I upgraded from double spaced MFM drives, I went to a 1gig SCSI
drive on a P90. I was the talk of the BBS community. Never owned an
IDE drive until a company sent me 2 of them by mistake. They're in my
son's computer. My drives are 15k SCSI drives.
It's basically all tweaks, both hardware and software.
When I first got this cable connection I got 1.4Mbps download speeds.
Changed my TCP/IP receive window from the anemic Windows default and
went to 2.8Mbps. Did I overclock my cable connection?

When you get a passion for anything, you tend to take more time with
it. Occasionally you take it to what other people might call
extremes. Anyone with a passion for Anything should understand this.
You never overclocked you car by swapped the computer chip in your car
for a chip with higher performance characteristics? What, no glasspak
mufflers? No flipping over the lid on the air cleaner?
No hand cuffs with the girlfriend?

No putting an extra 5 pounds on the barbells?
No overclocking the brisket with that special meat marinade?

Don't know why I posted. From the tone of your post it's obvious you
have no passion about anything, nor understanding.
From the content of your post it's obvious your VCR flashes 12:00.

Ed Sebesta

"Peter Cavan" wrote in message
Hi
I know people say that Dells are unoverclockable but what I wanted to know
is - are they actually impossible to OC or is it just very hard to do? I
mean with keeping all the hardware the same, not changing the motherboard,
CPU etc.
Thanks for any help
PC

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
]
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
Old September 29th 03, 06:32 PM
Ski

Exactly why do you need to over clock?

What percentage of people into overclocking get on dates or ever laid?

Why can't you just use the computer instead of messing with it?

Ed Sebesta

Dad? That you?

Ski
"The only way to find out how far is too far...
is to go there"
(remove spleen to e-mail)

Old September 29th 03, 07:03 PM
Phil Weldon

No, you just failed to realize that, since the message was cross-posted, you
also replied to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking, which is an overclocking
newsgroup. Which is why your message may attract flames from users who did
not realize that you did not realize.

Phil Weldon,