CPU Intel P4 Mobile 1.60 GHz

Old May 3rd 05, 12:29 PM
N´far

Default CPU Intel P4 Mobile 1.60 GHz

Is there a workarround to get this CPU started with multipier x16 using it
together with an fx. P4B266 or P4P800SE?

Old May 4th 05, 05:21 PM
Immuno

If you mean instead of the x12 multiplier that SpeedStep causes it to
default to - Nope! Or rather I've not seen one, and I've looked pretty hard
for the last couple of years on and off.

.....On the positive side - it will probably do 2.4GHz at 800MHz FSB )
(hardware permitting)

Pete

. ..

Old May 30th 05, 12:27 PM
~misfit~

N´far wrote:
Is there a workarround to get this CPU started with multipier x16
using it together with an fx. P4B266 or P4P800SE?

P4? P4?

What you talkin' about Willis? There ain't no such beast. It's a Pentium M,
a far superior CPU to a P4. P4's suck, they were just an Intel dead-end that
they went down to win the Mhz War and try (unsuccessfully) to out-do AMD.

Go here for mo

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html
--
~misfit~

Old May 30th 05, 08:45 PM
Thomas

~misfit~ wrote:
Is there a workarround to get this CPU started with multipier x16
using it together with an fx. P4B266 or P4P800SE?

P4? P4?

What you talkin' about Willis? There ain't no such beast. It's a
Pentium M, a far superior CPU to a P4. P4's suck, they were just an
Intel dead-end that they went down to win the Mhz War and try
(unsuccessfully) to out-do AMD.

Go here for mo

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

Of course there have been P4-Mobiles... This page clearly shows the Pentium
M is far superior, as you justly point out, but it's still true that the P4
Mobile's DID exist!
http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provi...oprovider.html

Whole loads of notebooks shipped with those, for example the Compaq EVO
n610C.

Some have found their way to desktops, as can be seen from the sample the OP
has

--
Thomas.

Old May 31st 05, 12:51 PM
~misfit~

Thomas wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

So it would seem. I forgot that some people were silly enough to buy P4s at
that speed when they were no better than the faster P3s and used twice the
power. The P3s hung on in notebooks a lot longer than they did in desktops
too.
--
~misfit~

Old June 4th 05, 10:32 AM
Thomas

~misfit~ wrote:
Of course there have been P4-Mobiles... This page clearly shows the
Pentium M is far superior, as you justly point out, but it's still
true that the P4 Mobile's DID exist!
http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provi...oprovider.html

Whole loads of notebooks shipped with those, for example the Compaq
EVO n610C.

Some have found their way to desktops, as can be seen from the sample
the OP has

So it would seem. I forgot that some people were silly enough to buy
P4s at that speed when they were no better than the faster P3s and
used twice the power. The P3s hung on in notebooks a lot longer than
they did in desktops too.

Yup, I totally agree with your feelings on this... I was stupid enough to
buy a laptop (Acer Aspire....) with a P4 - 2500 in it. The thing kept
blazing and howling, sucking up energy like I dont know what. I sold it
second hand, and for the money I got for it, bought a Compaq EVO N600C. This
is a P3-1200, fast, silent, and it lasts 4 hours.... MUCH better!

--
Thomas

Old June 6th 05, 02:38 AM
~misfit~

Thomas wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
[...]

Good move.

The P3 was (and still is) the pinacle of design as far as Intel's history
goes. That Tualatin P3 you have is the forerunner of the new Pentium M's,
(Banias, Dothan) they're just 'evolved' P3 Tualatins with a smaller
manufacturing process, larger L2 caches and a re-designed pre-fetch unit.
(And some speed-stepping) . Intel will, very soon, swallow it's pride and
drop the P4 range altogether. (That's why it's changed to calling CPUs by
codes instead of family/speed, they're hoping to save face). Especially if
it wants to do any good in the dual-core market. Can you imagine two 120
watt Prescot cores on the same die? You could heat your lounge with it.
--
~misfit~

Old June 8th 05, 07:43 PM
Thomas

~misfit~ wrote:
The P3 was (and still is) the pinacle of design as far as Intel's
history goes. That Tualatin P3 you have is the forerunner of the new
Pentium M's, (Banias, Dothan) they're just 'evolved' P3 Tualatins
with a smaller manufacturing process, larger L2 caches and a
re-designed pre-fetch unit. (And some speed-stepping) . Intel will,
very soon, swallow it's pride and drop the P4 range altogether.
(That's why it's changed to calling CPUs by codes instead of
family/speed, they're hoping to save face). Especially if it wants to
do any good in the dual-core market. Can you imagine two 120 watt
Prescot cores on the same die? You could heat your lounge with it.

Indeed... Unfortunately, 'the mass' doesn't know well enough that the
P3-Tuatalin is this good... I'm havig trouble selling off my lovely little
laptop ;-)

--
Thomas

Old June 10th 05, 11:14 AM
~misfit~

Thomas wrote:
~misfit~ wrote:
The P3 was (and still is) the pinacle of design as far as Intel's
history goes. That Tualatin P3 you have is the forerunner of the new
Pentium M's, (Banias, Dothan) they're just 'evolved' P3 Tualatins
with a smaller manufacturing process, larger L2 caches and a
re-designed pre-fetch unit. (And some speed-stepping) . Intel will,
very soon, swallow it's pride and drop the P4 range altogether.
(That's why it's changed to calling CPUs by codes instead of
family/speed, they're hoping to save face). Especially if it wants to
do any good in the dual-core market. Can you imagine two 120 watt
Prescot cores on the same die? You could heat your lounge with it.

Indeed... Unfortunately, 'the mass' doesn't know well enough that the
P3-Tuatalin is this good... I'm havig trouble selling off my lovely
little laptop ;-)

That's a shame. I stopped buying Intel when they canned the Tualatin and I
went AMD. Been an AMD man ever since. (Although currently I have two AMDs
and three Tualatins running). I may buy another Intel one day if the Dothan
or whatever comes after it makes it to the desktop. However I think AMD are
just too far ahead of Intel now in the power stakes, the only place Intel
have an advantage is with the Pentium M in the portable market.
--
~misfit~