overclocking laptop cpu or graphics card

Old May 1st 05, 03:32 PM
jorg20057000

Default overclocking laptop cpu or graphics card

how do i overclock my laptop cpu or video card or are there any good
programs for doing this thanks

Old May 1st 05, 07:26 PM
Thomas

jorg20057000 wrote:
how do i overclock my laptop cpu or video card or are there any good
programs for doing this thanks

A laptop CPU is almost impossible to overclock. The GPU is easy; use
radlinker for Ati Radeon, something similar for NVidia.

--
Thomas

Old May 1st 05, 08:54 PM
Augustus

"Thomas" wrote in message
jorg20057000 wrote:
how do i overclock my laptop cpu or video card or are there any good
programs for doing this thanks

A laptop CPU is almost impossible to overclock. The GPU is easy; use
radlinker for Ati Radeon, something similar for NVidia.

It's true that a GPU overclock on a laptop is easy, but a laptops ability to
remove excess heat is very limited. Those with real video accelerators are
already running close to the thermal limit as is. I would not recommend
overclocking a laptop's GPU.

Old May 1st 05, 09:07 PM
Phil Weldon

Assuming you mean a notebook (mobile) CPU IN a laptop, there are two BIG
problems.
#1. There will be no jumpers or BIOS settings for overclocking the CPU.
#2. Laptops have marginal cooling and usually have CPU speed throttling to
stay within temperature limits.

Because of cooling limitations, overclocking the display adapter is also
limited, even if overclocking settings are available.
Finally, depending your notebook, the display adapter may be integrated in
the chipset and share main memory, integrated into the motherboard, or be
(in very large notebooks) a standard AGP card.

All of which leads to the question
What notebook do you have, and what are its specifications?

Phil Weldon

news:da54d$4274e865$455da0d2$28201@allthenewsgroup s.com...

Old May 2nd 05, 05:31 AM
jorg20057000

it is a acer aspire 1710 17inch screen 3gig p4 512ram ,geforce 128mb
go5700 i put the video card in it has a big fan on it ive read on
other sites people have overclocked video cards but im trying to get
a program or link were to download it

Old May 2nd 05, 06:32 PM
jorg20057000

thanks for the info just got a program called power strip for the
video card and tweaked up a little and its fine still running cool
just trying a few benchmarks and some very good games its a farly big
laptop or notebook with lots of fans so cooling isnt that much of a
problem here is a link on it
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=19756

Old May 3rd 05, 12:28 PM
Ed Medlin

"jorg20057000" wrote in message
news:68671$42766413$455da0d2$13971@allthenewsgroup s.com...
thanks for the info just got a program called power strip for the
video card and tweaked up a little and its fine still running cool
just trying a few benchmarks and some very good games its a farly big
laptop or notebook with lots of fans so cooling isnt that much of a
problem here is a link on it
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=19756

Since it has a desktop cpu and hdd I would be VERY careful as to increasing
the heat inside at all. The video card also puts out a lot of heat, so no
matter how many fans are in there, all that stuff is really cramped into a
very small space that limits airflow considerably.

Ed

Old May 31st 05, 07:31 AM
jorg20057000

i overclocked the cpu to 3.3gig and it showed no sighns at all of over
heating same with the graphics card got a score of 3650 on 3d mark 03