Seagate Model ST3200822A

Old March 10th 05, 01:25 AM
daveiosys

Default Seagate Model ST3200822A

Does anybody have experience with Seagate
ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A.

A local retailer has them for $ 124.99.
Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99
Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 mb Buffer - 5 Year Warranty....
Sounds like a good deal - But is it too good to be true ????

Do you advise I jump ahead and “grab one of those babies” ???

If I do purchase will be making it primary master and
replacing a 6.4 Gbyte Maxtor drive....
It has 256 kb Buffer and runs at 5400 RPM.

Your ideas are appreciated... Thanks to all..

--
daveiosys
Old March 10th 05, 04:26 PM
Bill Todd

daveiosys wrote:
Does anybody have experience with Seagate
ATA Baracuda 200 Gbyte Hard Drive - Model: ST3200822A.

A local retailer has them for $ 124.99.
Rebate of $ 50.00 from Seagate... So total cost: $ 74.99
Specs say 7200 RPM - 8 mb Buffer - 5 Year Warranty....
Sounds like a good deal - But is it too good to be true ????

I haven't found it to be, at least so far. I've been running one
(mostly as a large backup drive for copying partitions to) for months.

Outpost.com has been having great sales plus rebates on the 120, 160,
and 200 GB Seagate ATA Barracudas all winter: as low as $40 net, $50
net, and $70 net, respectively (plus shipping, of course). I got one of
each, since it's not clear that the rebate can be applied to more than
one of the same SKU. With their 5-year warranty, they're especially
hard to resist at those prices: the best WD sales-plus-rebates I've
seen ($35 and $50 for 80 GB and 120 GB disks, respectively) haven't even
matched them.

For some reason, new Seagate drives report significant accumulated
errors in several SMART categories, at least as interpreted by Adenix
SMART Explorer. They do not appear to reflect any actual deficiencies,
however (Adenix notes this in their documentation).

- bill