Sticker on northbridge fan.

Old November 16th 04, 04:28 PM
S.Boardman

Default Sticker on northbridge fan.

I put some oil in the northbridge fan, today. I had a devil of a job getting
the sticker to stick down again. If in future it doesn't stick, after any
oil is removed, what do I do about replacing the sticker? Will Sellotape do?
--
Susan

Old November 16th 04, 06:01 PM
Jerry G.

If the fan is at the point where you have to add lubrication, this means
that the bearings are failing. These fans do not require lubrication
when working properly. The proper fix is to replace the fan. If the
bearings seize, the damage can be much more expensive than the few
dollars for a new fan!

--

Jerry G.
======

Old November 16th 04, 06:22 PM
kony

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:28:16 -0000, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

I put some oil in the northbridge fan, today. I had a devil of a job getting
the sticker to stick down again. If in future it doesn't stick, after any
oil is removed, what do I do about replacing the sticker? Will Sellotape do?

Tape will do but is not ideal due to it "usually" having
petroleum based adhesive. Even so, it's better than leaving
the bearingway uncovered.

You could super-glue the sticker back on or glue on a thin
sheet of plastic instead (like a piece cut out of a
blister-card packaging, but if you do that be sure the fan
has a lifetime's supply of lube in it. Probably not worth
the hassle though, just slap some tape on and if it needs
relubed again some day then do so again... or for longest
life replace with a low-rpm new fan.
Old November 16th 04, 08:25 PM
S.Boardman

wrote:

I put some oil in the northbridge fan, today. I had a devil of a job

getting
the sticker to stick down again. If in future it doesn't stick, after any
oil is removed, what do I do about replacing the sticker? Will Sellotape

do?

Tape will do but is not ideal due to it "usually" having
petroleum based adhesive. Even so, it's better than leaving
the bearingway uncovered.

You could super-glue the sticker back on or glue on a thin
sheet of plastic instead (like a piece cut out of a
blister-card packaging, but if you do that be sure the fan
has a lifetime's supply of lube in it. Probably not worth
the hassle though, just slap some tape on and if it needs
relubed again some day then do so again... or for longest
life replace with a low-rpm new fan.

Last year you may or may not remember I thought about a heatsink for it, but
the oil seems to work and I am too much of a chicken! Maybe by the time it
need doing again I'll have bought a new mobo anyway.
--
Susan

Old November 16th 04, 09:40 PM
Spajky

wrote:

I put some oil in the northbridge fan, today. I had a devil of a job getting
the sticker to stick down again. If in future it doesn't stick, after any
oil is removed, what do I do about replacing the sticker? Will Sellotape do?

yes the paper type one!
But I recommend instead of oil filling the gap there by half with
heavy automotive lithium grease instead!
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old November 17th 04, 01:21 PM
S.Boardman

wrote:

I put some oil in the northbridge fan, today. I had a devil of a job

getting
the sticker to stick down again. If in future it doesn't stick, after any
oil is removed, what do I do about replacing the sticker? Will Sellotape

do?

yes the paper type one!
But I recommend instead of oil filling the gap there by half with
heavy automotive lithium grease instead!

Hmm I seem to remember a debate about this last year. The conclusion was
ordinary 3 in 1 oil, that lubricates.
--
Susan

Old November 17th 04, 11:50 PM
Spajky

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:21:01 -0000, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

But I recommend instead of oil filling the gap there by half with
heavy automotive lithium grease instead!

Hmm I seem to remember a debate about this last year. The conclusion was
ordinary 3 in 1 oil, that lubricates.

I tried a bunch of stuff on fan bearings, the one I proposed is long
term best !

--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old November 18th 04, 01:21 AM
kony

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:21:01 -0000, "S.Boardman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I put some oil in the northbridge fan, today. I had a devil of a job

getting
the sticker to stick down again. If in future it doesn't stick, after any
oil is removed, what do I do about replacing the sticker? Will Sellotape

do?

yes the paper type one!
But I recommend instead of oil filling the gap there by half with
heavy automotive lithium grease instead!

Hmm I seem to remember a debate about this last year. The conclusion was
ordinary 3 in 1 oil, that lubricates.

Thick oil, "almost" grease is best... it needs be thin
enough that it will get into the bearing but thick enough to
resist running out and pooling outside the bearing, provide
higher film strength to counteract wobble, additional wear.
That may result in slight RPM reduction initially, but it
may be offset by the reduction in wobble and futher wear,
not to mention that the relube interval will be much lower,
possibly many years which could translate into the part
never needing (re)lubed again.
Old November 18th 04, 03:35 AM
Spajky

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 01:21:31 GMT, kony wrote:

yes the paper type one!
But I recommend instead of oil filling the gap there by half with
heavy automotive lithium grease instead!

Thick oil, "almost" grease is best... it needs be thin
enough that it will get into the bearing but thick enough to
resist running out and pooling outside the bearing, provide
higher film strength to counteract wobble, additional wear.
That may result in slight RPM reduction initially, but it
may be offset by the reduction in wobble and futher wear,
not to mention that the relube interval will be much lower,
possibly many years which could translate into the part
never needing (re)lubed again.

I agree !

--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old November 18th 04, 06:29 AM
kony

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:01:47 -0500, "Jerry G."
wrote:

If the fan is at the point where you have to add lubrication, this means
that the bearings are failing. These fans do not require lubrication
when working properly. The proper fix is to replace the fan. If the
bearings seize, the damage can be much more expensive than the few
dollars for a new fan!

--

That's not necessarily true.
I have MANY fans that were relubed and have since lasted

The lubrication is lost in use or due to heat and replacing
it does provide a fine solution providing the wear to the
bearing is not bad... which it won't be if the fan is
relubed early enough. The fact is that all devices with
sleeve bearings benefit from relubing, and on many larger,
more expensive equipments there is even a felt and oil-well
to add and store this lubricant.