Is this for real?

Old May 27th 04, 04:21 AM
Tim Brown

Default Is this for real?

I found a 9800 pro for $164. Is the 9800 pro better than the 9800 xt? Is
this some cheapo manufactured version of the card?

Help will be appreciated!

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/r9800pro128.html

Old May 27th 04, 04:39 AM
Augustus

"Tim Brown" wrote in message
I found a 9800 pro for $164. Is the 9800 pro better than the 9800 xt? Is
this some cheapo manufactured version of the card?

Help will be appreciated!

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/r9800pro128.html

Good deal. The performance of the 9800 Pro if overclocked approaches that of
the 9800XT. For a whole lot less money too. Not too familiar how well the XT
overclocks though.

Old May 27th 04, 05:13 AM
§

Tim Brown wrote:
I found a 9800 pro for $164. Is the 9800 pro better than the 9800
xt? Is this some cheapo manufactured version of the card?

Help will be appreciated!

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/r9800pro128.html

Check out some customer reviews of this shop

Old May 27th 04, 06:06 AM
J. Clarke

Tim Brown wrote:

I found a 9800 pro for $164. Is the 9800 pro better than the 9800 xt? Is
this some cheapo manufactured version of the card?

Help will be appreciated!

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/r9800pro128.html

The XT is better than the Pro, but not a lot better.

As Tom suggested, check out the vendor--there's a listing for them at
http://www.resellerratings.com.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old May 27th 04, 06:07 AM
zmike6

On Wed, 26 May 2004 20:21:31 -0700, "Tim Brown"
wrote:

I found a 9800 pro for $164. Is the 9800 pro better than the 9800 xt? Is
this some cheapo manufactured version of the card?

Help will be appreciated!

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/r9800pro128.html

Be careful, some vendors are selling parts called "9800 Pro" that only
have a 128-bit memory interface (vs 256 for the "real" 9800 Pro.)
Dunno about the part shown there, it looks like a typical Sapphire
OEM/Bulk 9800 pro, but who knows what they will actually send you.

Old May 27th 04, 07:15 AM
Tim Brown

If I do go with a 9800 pro, will it be sufficient for 3-4 years? When I say
sufficient I mean will it be able to run games at a reasonably high
framerate at a medium quality setting.

I know we're not all genius future tellers, but my geforce 2mx 400 has been
good till now.

Old May 27th 04, 07:22 AM
Lee

i believe the XT has built on temperature monitoring too which pro doesn't.

wrote:

:I found a 9800 pro for $164. Is the 9800 pro better than the 9800 xt? Is
:this some cheapo manufactured version of the card?
:
:Help will be appreciated!
:
:http://www.buyxtremegear.com/r9800pro128.html
:

-----
Lee.
Old May 27th 04, 09:00 AM
J. Clarke

Tim Brown wrote:

If I do go with a 9800 pro, will it be sufficient for 3-4 years? When I
say sufficient I mean will it be able to run games at a reasonably high
framerate at a medium quality setting.

Until a few months ago the 9800 pro was the fastest board on the market--the
only faster ones are the XT and the brand new X800. If it won't last you
3-4 years then nothing you can buy today will.

I know we're not all genius future tellers, but my geforce 2mx 400 has
been good till now.

Geez. If that's been "good til now" then the 9800 will probably last you a
decade. The MX400 wasn't fast when it was new.

Old May 27th 04, 07:54 PM
Asestar

Be careful!! I hear Saphire and many more oem are releasing 9800pros with
128bit memory bus!! They are going cheap. But this 128bit bus is slowww
compared to 256bit of older 9800 pro's! So be sure what you're getting!

Old May 28th 04, 12:46 AM
Dark Avenger

"Tim Brown" wrote in message
I found a 9800 pro for $164. Is the 9800 pro better than the 9800 xt? Is
this some cheapo manufactured version of the card?

Help will be appreciated!

http://www.buyxtremegear.com/r9800pro128.html

That is strange... the 9800 PCB should only have a 256-bits memory bus...