ASUS PC-DL-DX Dual Xeon mainboard

Old August 27th 04, 09:06 PM
skydigger123

Default ASUS PC-DL-DX Dual Xeon mainboard

I've got a Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz setup running fine under Windows XP
Professional.

How can I tell if the 2nd CPU is actually being utilized or what the
load on it is, etc? Would something like PC Probe do it, or?

thx!
Skydigger123
Old August 27th 04, 10:10 PM
skydigger123

The ASUS monitoring agent using the windows system monitor, and it
shows that (by temp and voltage) both are present. However, unless I
am mistaken it looks like windows is not seeing two processors (only
one graph in Task Mgr, when setting is for '1 graph per CPU').

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:51:41 GMT, Leythos wrote:

In article , skydigger123
says...
I've got a Dual Xeon 3.06Ghz setup running fine under Windows XP
Professional.

How can I tell if the 2nd CPU is actually being utilized or what the
load on it is, etc? Would something like PC Probe do it, or?

Right click on the task bar, select Task Manager, and then Performance.

Old August 28th 04, 01:22 AM
Tim

If you installed the second CPU after XP was installed, the OS is probably
using the wrong HAL.
You can check this by going into Device Manager and double clicking on the
CPU.

If the HAL is wrong then you need to update it to a multiprocessor version.
There are several ways to do this. To start with, take a look at the
following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

- Tim

Old August 28th 04, 02:14 AM
Tim

Check your boot.ini then. I have heard of cases where the number of CPU's
has been set there somehow overriding all else.
- Tim

"Leythos" wrote in message
In article , says...
If you installed the second CPU after XP was installed, the OS is
probably
using the wrong HAL.
You can check this by going into Device Manager and double clicking on
the
CPU.

If the HAL is wrong then you need to update it to a multiprocessor
version.
There are several ways to do this. To start with, take a look at the
following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

Except that every Xeon CPU looks like a Dual and will be detected by XP
/ 2000 / 2003 as a dual CPU system. At least we've never had to change
the HAL on a Xeon system when adding a second CPU.

(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Old August 31st 04, 06:26 PM
skydigger123

Thanks for the help guys, a re-install of XP Pro seemed to do the
trick... (!?)

thx,
S.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:22:47 +1200, "Tim" wrote:

If you installed the second CPU after XP was installed, the OS is probably
using the wrong HAL.
You can check this by going into Device Manager and double clicking on the
CPU.

If the HAL is wrong then you need to update it to a multiprocessor version.
There are several ways to do this. To start with, take a look at the
following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309283

- Tim

.. .