Four same-model Seagate drives, three different firmware versions.

Old August 9th 13, 08:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Four same-model Seagate drives, three different firmware versions.

I have four Seagate ST2000DM001 drives with three different firmware
versions. When I check for firmware version updates by entering the
serial#,...

Drive #1 (received as warranty replacement for failed ST32000641AS):
"important update" available, but when I use the firmware update tool to
update it, it tells me that it is not appropriate for that drive. The
firmware shown on the label (and by SeaTools) is not one of the versions
ever used on that model, according to the Seagate Web site.

Drives #2 & #3 (purchased recently as a "Retail Kit" with the Model# on
the package STBD2000101): no update available.

Drive #4 (also purchased recently as an STBD2000101 Retail Kit).
Warranty expiry date a few months earlier than the previous two and with
a different firmware version: also no update available.

Odd.

Perce
Old August 10th 13, 08:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
miso

[...]

I can't say for sure what is going on with your drives, but
manufacturers do make different physical devices with the same number.
They can't get a part so they substitute something else or they find a
cheaper vendor, etc etc.

One of the semiconductor houses I worked for would track these minor
changes in Chinese number on the metal mask.

In theory, all the versions have to meet the spec.

Old August 20th 13, 02:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Saturday, 10 August 2013 15:37:44 UTC+8, miso wrote:
I can't say for sure what is going on with your drives, but

manufacturers do make different physical devices with the same number.

They can't get a part so they substitute something else or they find a

cheaper vendor, etc etc.

Dell, for example. Last job I had 2 Dell LCD monitors, same model number,
but side by side they looked different hues. You could swap the monitors
around, and it wasn't the graphics card at fault. And both were setup
the same brightness, contrast, colour temperature et cetera.