Extension for Dell power adapter DC Cord ( NOT the AC Cord....)

Old September 25th 10, 07:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
James

Default Extension for Dell power adapter DC Cord ( NOT the AC Cord....)

I have a frustrating item here... I have a Dell Laptop, the Inspiron 600M.
The Dell part number or model number for the power adapter is
LA65NS0-00 PA-12 . I am looking for an extension for the dc part of
this power adapter. (Using an ac cord extension will not cure my problem.
I store this laptop on top of a dresser, and I like to charge the laptop at
times, when I am not using it. The dc part of the cord is so short, that
the actual power adapter hangs off the floor be several feet... so, I need
an extension.)

I have looked everywhere... Dell website.... Comp USA,,, Radio Shack. etc
etc. I cannot find such a thing anywhere, although I know they are made.

Can anyone here help me find a source for this please ??

Thank you very much !!

James

Mothers laptop is an Inspiron 600M

I don’t know if the plugs/extensions are proprietary to dell.

Old September 25th 10, 10:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"James" wrote in message
net...
[...]

why don't you use an AC extension so that the power adapter sits on top of
the dresser instead of hanging down? You could secure the adapter to the top
of the dresser with Velco so it can be removed when you travel.

Old September 26th 10, 01:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

James wrote:
I have a frustrating item here... I have a Dell Laptop, the Inspiron 600M.
The Dell part number or model number for the power adapter is
LA65NS0-00 PA-12 . I am looking for an extension for the dc part of
this power adapter. (Using an ac cord extension will not cure my problem.
I store this laptop on top of a dresser, and I like to charge the laptop at
times, when I am not using it. The dc part of the cord is so short, that
the actual power adapter hangs off the floor be several feet... so, I need
an extension.)

I have looked everywhere... Dell website.... Comp USA,,, Radio Shack. etc
etc. I cannot find such a thing anywhere, although I know they are made.

If you can't find them, what makes you sure they make them? I've been
around computers for a long time and have never seen an extension for
the output side of an adapter for any brand.

Can anyone here help me find a source for this please ??
Thank you very much !!
James
Mothers laptop is an Inspiron 600M
I don’t know if the plugs/extensions are proprietary to dell.

Since nobody makes them I would say they are VERY proprietary.

Best solution would be a longer A/C cord and just set the adapter on the
dresser. OR just stick some velcro on the adapter and stick it to the
dresser.

--
Steve W.
Old September 26th 10, 03:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

On Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:04:41 -0400, "James"
wrote:

I have a frustrating item here... I have a Dell Laptop, the Inspiron 600M.
The Dell part number or model number for the power adapter is
LA65NS0-00 PA-12 . I am looking for an extension for the dc part of
this power adapter. (Using an ac cord extension will not cure my problem.
I store this laptop on top of a dresser, and I like to charge the laptop at
times, when I am not using it. The dc part of the cord is so short, that
the actual power adapter hangs off the floor be several feet... so, I need
an extension.)

i WOULD DO what the others suggest, but if not that, I'd make my own.

I think mouser.com will have the connectors for both ends and you can
use almost any kind of two-conductor wire in the middle, even lamp
cord or speaker wire.

You would need a DC plug and a DC jack. They make several sizes.
Radio Shack sells a universal DC power supply, the black box that has
prongs on it for the receptacle, except RS's is white, and they have,
at 4 dollars a piece, connectors that fit with the stub end of hte
wire. YOu could conceivably buy the right plug from them, but it has
no place intended for solder, but I first had in mind to just go there
and try to find out if the plug you need for your computer has a name,
and if the name RS uses is standard. I'm dubious.

This will get you started:
http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/...=jacks&FS=True

When you get to a rows of items, each has a link that gave a drawing
of it. You'll have to measure very closely, and maybe buy two sizes
if you're not sure.

You want an inline-jack if you can get it in the size you need.
Otherwise, wrap some electrical tape or silicon tape around the solder
connections.
Old September 26th 10, 03:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

They don't have as many as I expectdd, only 7**, none in-line, unless
they are somehow spearate. Once you have the jack, the plug should be
easy to find, and vice versal. Once in a while, a plug and jack will
fit, but be loose. There is probably a better fit in that case.

**Nope, there is one more further donwn and maybe 7 more pages.

There are 9 under inline jacks with no pictures on the first page,
but there are dimensions and links to drawings or pictures.

Old September 26th 10, 04:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve W.[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

The only problem is that if this is a normal Dell adapter it has 3
conductors and three pins. Not standard items.

--
Steve W.
Old September 26th 10, 05:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. i've never seen a Dell laptop, and I jumped to a conclusion.

Well, how about this. Cut the cord he has in the middle and splice in
some 3-conductor wire.
Old September 26th 10, 10:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dave[_40_]

On Sep 25, 5:31*pm, "olfart" wrote:
"James" wrote in message

net...

[...]

This seems like the correct answer to his problem.
Not sure why he even asked.
I've had this problem before (so have MANY others).
I guess common sense is no longer used.
Have a great day.
Dave