How the mighty have fallen

Old September 9th 10, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_5_]

Default How the mighty have fallen

Sad to see how few posts a.c.h.o gets these days. I certainly haven't
done my part lately. I haven't even set up my desktop since I moved
18 months ago - and a fairly decent lthree-year-old laptop (T7300/3 GB/
500 GB/nVidia 8600M GT/1680 x 1050) isn't a lot of overclocking fun
(maybe 20% for the display adapter).

I see a few familiar names still posting. I'm about to move again and
get still another ISP (my present, ATT, has about the worst customer
service I've encountered - took nearly four hours on the phone [also
ATT] to get my service back after ATT canceled my line because MY NEXT
DOOR NEIGHBOR signed up for ATTs Uverse!

I spent my computer money for the next couple of iterations on a
telescope - it's got lots of processors (eight) and I use it in
conjunction with my laptop. An my next computer upgrade will have to
fight it out with a deep sky digital astrophotographic camera (about
the price of a hot overclocking system.) Perhaps I can squeeze out an
interim upgrade (overclocked, of course) to improve image processing -
and maybe improve Starcraft II performance B^) Any suggestions for
upgrades on a 775 socket nVidia motherboard?

At present my desktop/overclocking bench is still an nVidia
motherboard with an nVidia 8800 GTS 512 MB and an Intel Duo 1.6 GHz
cpu overclocked by 60% running a very high memory bus - if I remember
correctly AND it still works B^)

I hope a.c.h.o. and its great people are still around when I next
upgrade. I think I still have all a.c.h.o. posts back into the '90s
- but on the not-yet-set-up desktop. I don't have a Usenet provider
at the moment; once I do, I'll go through the painful task of
integrating the last 18 months of posts with my archives.
Old September 9th 10, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Bob F

Phil Weldon wrote:
I don't have a Usenet provider
at the moment; once I do, I'll go through the painful task of
integrating the last 18 months of posts with my archives.

news.eternal-september.org is a fine free server for text messages.

Old September 27th 10, 06:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_15_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Phil Weldon wrote:
[...]

Hi Phil,

Good to see you! I know what you mean, I still subscribe to a.c.h.o but
hardly read it. My desktop is remarkably similar to yours but hardly gets
turned on now. I use a T60 ThinkPad (T7400 2.13GHz, 4MB L2 C2D CPU, 3GB RAM,
500GB 7,200rpm HDD with a 15" 'FlexView' IPS 1400 x 1050 screen) for my
day-to-day computer needs. It's more than adequate, the only game I play
regularly is Diablo 2 and that's 10 years old.

I think that we've lived through the era where overclocking was needed to
get extra performance and now are at the stage where CPUs can do waaaay more
than the average Joe would ever require of them.

I'll always remember getting my Celeron 600 to run stably at 900. That was
my best overclock and was a kick-arse machine for the money.

Be well,
--
Shaun.

into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Old October 4th 10, 07:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Orson Cart

"~misfit~" wrote:

I think that we've lived through the era where overclocking was needed
get extra performance and now are at the stage where CPUs can do waaaay
more
than the average Joe would ever require of them.

I'll always remember getting my Celeron 600 to run stably at 900.
That was
my best overclock and was a kick-arse machine for the money.

Be well,
--
Shaun.

I fondly remember a K6-3+ with 400 MHz stamped on it that ran at
618 MHz with bog standard cooler. I thought overclocking by 50%
was something to crow about. Then I read about somebody who
claimed they ran a Pentium 4 at 8 GHz. They needed liquid cooling and
a modified mainboard - I reckoned that was cheating.

Old October 5th 10, 12:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_15_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Orson Cart wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote:

I think that we've lived through the era where overclocking was
needed to
get extra performance and now are at the stage where CPUs can do
waaaay more
than the average Joe would ever require of them.

I'll always remember getting my Celeron 600 to run stably at 900.
That was
my best overclock and was a kick-arse machine for the money.

I fondly remember a K6-3+ with 400 MHz stamped on it that ran at
618 MHz with bog standard cooler. I thought overclocking by 50%
was something to crow about. Then I read about somebody who
claimed they ran a Pentium 4 at 8 GHz. They needed liquid cooling and
a modified mainboard - I reckoned that was cheating.

I seriously doubt that anyone got a P4 to run at 8 GHz for more than a few
seconds, even if they used liquid Nitrogen cooling. I remember watching a
Tom's Hardware video of a P4 at 5 GHz using liquid nitrogen and a
much-modified motherboard VRM stage and I think that was about the peak.

Yeah, I'm with you on the 50% being a good overclock (on air). I almost
forgot, my first C2D, an E4500, that was supposed to run at 2.2GHz ran just
fine at 3.4GHz with a 6 x 8mm heatpipe cooler (Thermaltake mini-typhoon)
with a 90mm fan on it. However it was about then that I realised I was just
overclocking for the sake of it. The CPU did everything that I wanted it to
do quickly enough at stock speed. Of course there were some fast quads
available at the time too. As I saw it that was about the time that O/Cing
became a hobby rather than a legitimate need for speed.

Hence the comparative silence in this group these days. Phil's subject about
says it all.

(I dismantled my Tualatin Celeron 1.1 @ 1.46 GHz [133 FSB, stock vcore /
HSF] system this week as part of a big clear-out. That was a kick-arse
system for it's time too, it'd beat the pants off any P4 under 2 GHz
easilly.)