safe cpu temp

Old May 14th 10, 08:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
coltrane

Default safe cpu temp

I am new to overclocking. I have a 2.6mhz quad core i5 running at
3.6mhz. The idle cpu temp hovers around 60c. When I run a stress test
using Prime95 the temp goes to 95c. How much heat can a cpu take?

thanks

john
Old May 14th 10, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

coltrane wrote:
I am new to overclocking. I have a 2.6mhz quad core i5 running at
3.6mhz. The idle cpu temp hovers around 60c. When I run a stress test
using Prime95 the temp goes to 95c. How much heat can a cpu take?

thanks

john

It's self protecting. It'll start to throttle if it gets too hot.
Processors are pretty well armored against overheat now. And above
the throttle temperature, the computer will shut off at a slightly
higher temperature. So if throttling won't control the temperature,
THERMTRIP will shut it off completely.

The "throttling" bit can be monitored. You can actually tell when
it is throttling and you're losing performance. The program "RMClock"
can be used, as shown here.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/cpu/in...res-core2.html

If it isn't throttling, it is purely a judgment call, as to how
much cooler than that it should be. I'd probably buy enough
of a cooler, to hit 65C under load, but I don't know how big a cooler
it takes with the processor you're using.

A lot of people use an after market cooler, because the fasteners are
so poor on the retail cooler. My aftermarket cooler uses bolts and
nuts, and isn't going to fall off any time soon.

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-030850.htm

Paul
Old May 15th 10, 07:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Jim[_31_]

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLBLC
Intel says 72.7 degrees.

Old May 15th 10, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
coltrane

On 5/15/2010 2:47 AM, Jim wrote:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLBLC
Intel says 72.7 degrees.

thanks, I replaced the thermal goop and now the cpu stays around 78
during stress testing which I will never approach during regular use.

thanks for the info

john
Old May 15th 10, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Jim wrote:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLBLC
Intel says 72.7 degrees.

That is Tcase, versus Tjunction. The OP is measuring the
internal junction temperature, and the case temperature at the
moment, won't be nearly as high.

Paul
Old September 8th 10, 08:46 AM
computerlaptop computerlaptop is offline
Junior Member

Just make sure the bottom of the heat sink comes completely in contact with
the CPU die. Also, don't use a whole lot of compund on it, just a dab
basically.
Computer Laptop