Very Noisy Fan

Old November 23rd 08, 12:41 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
El.Plates

Default Very Noisy Fan

Hi everyone, my brother has bought an HP Pavilion EG780AA a1228.uk and I've
found me self volunteered to reformat the HD, re-install the O/S etc !
All seems to be fine with the PC except that the fan is driving me mad it's
SO noisy.
Google tells me that this is a well known problem with the HP Pavilion
EG780AA a1228.uk
I have installed SpeedFan v4.37 and have experimented with it and now have
settings which make for a far quieter machine without sacrificing cooling to
any noticeable degree (sorry about the terrible pun).
Where I need some help is that I would like this programme to run at startup
with the settings I have evolved to and can't see any way of achieving this.
If anyone has a solution for this or can help with another method of keeping
the fan quieter I would be most grateful
TIA

Old November 23rd 08, 01:51 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
[email protected]

El.Plates wrote:

[...]

- replace fan with quieter one
- small carpet lined box over air output, with L shaped air path
- glue damping material to case on the inside

http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....oise_reduction

NT
Old November 23rd 08, 09:38 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
jaster

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:41:38 +0000, El.Plates thoughfully wrote:

Hi everyone, my brother has bought an HP Pavilion EG780AA a1228.uk and
I've found me self volunteered to reformat the HD, re-install the O/S
etc ! All seems to be fine with the PC except that the fan is driving me
mad it's SO noisy.
Google tells me that this is a well known problem with the HP Pavilion
EG780AA a1228.uk
I have installed SpeedFan v4.37 and have experimented with it and now
have settings which make for a far quieter machine without sacrificing
cooling to any noticeable degree (sorry about the terrible pun). Where I
need some help is that I would like this programme to run at startup
with the settings I have evolved to and can't see any way of achieving
this. If anyone has a solution for this or can help with another method
of keeping the fan quieter I would be most grateful TIA

I agree get him to buy and install a better fan. Every HD reformat would
need speedfan reinstalled and newer cpu fans are getting quieter and cool.
Old November 23rd 08, 10:47 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
kony

wrote:

Hi everyone, my brother has bought an HP Pavilion EG780AA a1228.uk and I've
found me self volunteered to reformat the HD, re-install the O/S etc !
All seems to be fine with the PC except that the fan is driving me mad it's
SO noisy.
Google tells me that this is a well known problem with the HP Pavilion
EG780AA a1228.uk
I have installed SpeedFan v4.37 and have experimented with it and now have
settings which make for a far quieter machine without sacrificing cooling to
any noticeable degree (sorry about the terrible pun).

But was this with the system idling or at full load?

Where I need some help is that I would like this programme to run at startup
with the settings I have evolved to and can't see any way of achieving this.
If anyone has a solution for this or can help with another method of keeping
the fan quieter I would be most grateful
TIA

Personally, I'd take a 47 or 68 ohm 2W resistor and solder
it in series on the power lead. That way it's permanently
fixed, won't need software and won't be a problem if the OS
is reinstalled later for some reason.

Whichever solution you settle on, be sure to test the
resultant temp during an extended full load condition (Like
running Prime95's torture test for a half hour). If the
temp gets very high, also use a realtime CPU frequency
reporting tool to see whether it's throttling down to a
lower speed as a result of the high temperature, and of
course if it's really high you will need to speed the fan up
some.
Old November 24th 08, 02:05 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
The Samurai

On Nov 23, 10:41*pm, "El.Plates" wrote:
[...]

best thing is to damp the inside of your case, that will reduce some
vibrations
Old November 24th 08, 01:56 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
rf

"The Samurai" wrote in message
On Nov 23, 10:41 pm, "El.Plates" wrote:

best thing is to damp the inside of your case, that will reduce some
vibrations

Buckets of water work well for dampening. Keeps things cool as well. No need
for those noisy fan things.

Old November 24th 08, 02:48 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
olfart

"rf" wrote in message

"The Samurai" wrote in message
On Nov 23, 10:41 pm, "El.Plates" wrote:

best thing is to damp the inside of your case, that will reduce some
vibrations

Buckets of water work well for dampening. Keeps things cool as well. No
need for those noisy fan things.

or you can...unzip and let 'er rip.....leave the fan running for best
results

Old November 25th 08, 11:14 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.hp.hardware
~misfit~[_10_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs El.Plates wrote:
[...]

Make a shortcut to SpeenFan.exe (send to desktop...) then put it in the
"Startup" folder on the start menu. Works for me.
--
Shaun.

Old November 27th 08, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'El.Plates' wrote, in part:
If anyone has a solution for this or can help with another method of
keeping the fan quieter I would be most grateful

_____

Hunter Original fan on slow; 1750 Cu. Ft. per minute, silent. Also cools
the user.

Phil Weldon

!
All seems to be fine with the PC except that the fan is driving me mad
it's SO noisy.
Google tells me that this is a well known problem with the HP Pavilion
EG780AA a1228.uk
I have installed SpeedFan v4.37 and have experimented with it and now have
settings which make for a far quieter machine without sacrificing cooling
to any noticeable degree (sorry about the terrible pun).
Where I need some help is that I would like this programme to run at
startup with the settings I have evolved to and can't see any way of
achieving this.
If anyone has a solution for this or can help with another method of
keeping the fan quieter I would be most grateful
TIA

Fan Too Noisy titani Nvidia Videocards 10 September 20th 08 04:35 PM
Noisy HDD v2brothers Homebuilt PC's 2 August 16th 07 07:17 PM
Noisy CPU fan ISOHaven Homebuilt PC's 0 January 17th 06 12:41 AM
noisy!! Yvon Dell Computers 4 November 24th 04 09:17 PM
Noisy cpu fan Skjoldmø Homebuilt PC's 6 December 8th 03 12:05 PM