can i buy ddr2 1333MHz?

Old October 10th 08, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Beemer

Default can i buy ddr2 1333MHz?

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:23:01 +0100, Beemer wrote:

I want to buy 2 x 2GB of DDR2 (not DDR3) 1333Mhz memory. Who makes
this and can I buy it in the UK?

regards,

Beemer

Why do you want 1333MHz memory? The bottleneck in a Core2 system is the
FSB not the RAM. The FSB is only 64 bits wide which means that the
fastest RAM the bus can handle is the FSB speed/2 (because each DIMM in
the pair is also 64 bits wide). The fastest FSB speed available is 1600
which translates into DDR2 800. DDR2 1200 is widely available. 1200 is a
50% overclock of the FSB which is more than enough. BTW most motherboards
have a maximum FSB of 1333 not 1600.

Your reply is logical and I guess I was lured into 1:1 by Giga-Byte's recent
1333 bios release statement.

Having used computers and programming before the "personal computer" and
passing college courses including "solid-state electronic techniques" I do
wonder whether I should try to keep up with you younger folks!

thanks,

Beemer

Old October 10th 08, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
General Schvantzkopf

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:00:03 +0100, Beemer wrote:

[...]

I'm an old timer not one of the younger folks. I've been designing
computers since the 1970s. Avoiding bottlenecks is rule #1 when designing
any system. The principle is obvious, if you think of a six lane super
highway that narrows down to a two lane country road, where would you
spend your money if you wanted to increase traffic flow where would you
spend your money? You could spend billions widening the super highway to
8, 10 or 12 lanes and not one more car would be able to flow through, but
any money spent on the cow path would increase traffic flow
significantly. In an Intel system the FSB is the cow path and the memory
interface is the superhighway. They are doing away with the FSB in the
next generation so faster memory will be useful then, but it's money down
the drain on the current generation.
Old October 10th 08, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'Beemer' wrote:
Having used computers and programming before the "personal computer" and
passing college courses including "solid-state electronic techniques" I
do wonder whether I should try to keep up with you younger folks!

_____

What makes you think you are older than others in this newsgroup? I started
with magnetic core memory on a Univac 1050 in 1965 B^)

Phil Weldon

Old October 11th 08, 07:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Beemer

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
m...

"Beemer" wrote in message

[...]

Yes I think the bubble memory was made by Plessey in the UK. I also
worked with it in the (US) General Electric Mark Century CNC

Beemer

Old October 11th 08, 05:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin[_4_]

Having used computers and programming before the "personal computer" and
passing college courses including "solid-state electronic techniques" I
do wonder whether I should try to keep up with you younger folks!

thanks,

Beemer

I think you will find that there are a bunch of "old timers" that frequent
this forum........:-)

Ed

Old October 11th 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin[_4_]

'Beemer' wrote:
Having used computers and programming before the "personal computer" and
passing college courses including "solid-state electronic techniques" I
do wonder whether I should try to keep up with you younger folks!

_____

What makes you think you are older than others in this newsgroup? I
started with magnetic core memory on a Univac 1050 in 1965 B^)

Phil Weldon

WOW!!..........you are really old Phil........:-) The first core memory
boards I worked with were on those Avis car rental "Wizard" terminals in the
early-mid 70s (Some independent Avis dealers used them until the early
80s).......Think they were about 100-128k, about 2'x2' in size and probably
cost in the area of $20,000-25,000 IIRC. They worked with old IBM Selectric
I/O terminals on a nationwide polling network.

Ed