How do I overclock memory in Gigabyte EP35-DS3R?

Old July 30th 08, 11:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default How do I overclock memory in Gigabyte EP35-DS3R?

I got a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R/Q6600 2.4 ghz in March, which I'm very
happy with. Vista x64 rates a 5.9 on every measure, except a 5.6 on
memory.

Memory is G.Skill, the package is marked:

F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

DDR2-1000 PC2-8000

2048 x 2

CL5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Julie
Old July 30th 08, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

wrote:
I got a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R/Q6600 2.4 ghz in March, which I'm very
happy with. Vista x64 rates a 5.9 on every measure, except a 5.6 on
memory.

Memory is G.Skill, the package is marked:

F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

DDR2-1000 PC2-8000

2048 x 2

CL5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Julie

That is the rating for your memory.

To understand what it is doing currently, try

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

The memory tab will show the current settings.

The numbers on the CPU tab, such as core speed,
multiplier and bus speed, are also interesting,
as they indicate whether you are currently
overclocking or not. If you post some of that
info, perhaps that will make it easier for someone
to suggest what to try next.

Paul
Old July 31st 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Default How do I overclock memory in Gigabyte EP35-DS3R? (0/1)

Thanks, here are jpgs from cpu-z:

Julie

Old July 31st 08, 02:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

wrote:
Thanks, here are jpgs from cpu-z:

Julie

Some of the text newsgroups, have a "no binary" rule, meaning
they won't accept attachments like pictures. That could
be why I cannot see anything.

If you look in CPUZ, there is a report generator under the "About"
tab, that will create a text file of results. You can copy paste the
relevant parts out of there, if you want to share what
you're currently doing with the system.

Paul

Old July 31st 08, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

Thanks,
I tried posting screen capture jpegs of the cpuz-id windows, but I
can't here for some reason. How can I get the images of the cpuz-id
info to you?

Old July 31st 08, 03:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

wrote:
Thanks,
I tried posting screen capture jpegs of the cpuz-id windows, but I
can't here for some reason. How can I get the images of the cpuz-id
info to you?

Julie

Interesting. My AIOE server got a total of about 58 posts
from you, with what looks like base64 encoding. On
Motzarella, the server seems to have done the right
thing, and turfed all those attempts at picture posting.
And Google didn't archive them either. Good for Google :-)
Got something right for a change.

There is some info on P35 here.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2991&p=2

At FSB1066, the P35 will support DDR2-800 and DDR2-1066.

Section 2.9 of your manual, shows the "MB Intelligent Tweaker".
There is no mention in the manual, whether you need to press
control F1 to gain access to that panel, or whether it is
visible in the BIOS in a normal fashion.

In the MIT BIOS screen, the CPU clock can be set to manual
mode for tweaking. But your question was about memory, so
we'll go straight to the memory thing.

You need to adjust the memory frequency. The memory frequency
is grayed out in the manual page, implying the System Memory
Multiplier has to be put in a manual mode. You need to adjust
it to DDR2-1066, which is slight higher than the memory is
rated for. The rest of the settings, for timing, could be
left at Auto, and the BIOS will work out the proportional
values for CAS, tRCD and so on.

Further down, there is "DDR2 Overvoltage Control". You say
the memory is rated for DDR2-1000 at 2.0 or 2.1V. You can
set the Overvoltage Control to +0.2V, as 1.8 + 0.2 = 2.0V.

Save and exit, and see if the BIOS comes back on the next
POST. *Don't* boot into Windows. Prepare a memtest86+
test floppy or test CDROM, from memtest.org . You should
run a couple full passes of memtest86+, before considering
even booting into Windows. Another test I like, after
running memtest86+, is to boot a Linux LiveCD, such as
Knoppix or Ubuntu. Either of those Linux distributions,
is capable of booting the OS, without a hard drive being
connected or present. And that allows testing, without the
possibility of corrupting the hard drive because the
memory is faulty. I've even downloaded the Linux version
of Prime95 from mersenne.org , as a means of testing the
CPU at 100% loading. Even with the single threaded version
of Prime95, you can create four separate directories with
Prime95 in it, and execute a copy from each folder,
giving four copies. Each one is set to use 1/4 of the
total memory. That gives both the CPU and memory, a
good workout. If no errors are reported after a
few hours, then it is probably safe to boot to Windows.

HTH,
Paul
Old July 31st 08, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

I know how to tweak what you mentioned, I will follow your suggestions
tomorrow.

THank you!

Julie

Old July 31st 08, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Phil Weldon

'Julie' wrote:
I got a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R/Q6600 2.4 ghz in March, which I'm very
happy with. Vista x64 rates a 5.9 on every measure, except a 5.6 on
memory.

Memory is G.Skill, the package is marked:

F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

DDR2-1000 PC2-8000

2048 x 2

CL5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V

Any suggestions?

_____

While you are figuring out how to post your cpuz-id reported information
(which must be in TEXT only, not any kind of screen capture), be aware that
almost any middling performance desktop system made in the last 18 months or
so will get 5.8s and 5.9s on the Vista Performance Score, and that there is
no higher rating than 5.9. This makes the Vista Performance Score fairly
useless.

As an example, I have 32-bit Vista Home Premium system with 2 GBytes of DDR2
800 (PC6400) memory, NOT overclocked; the Vista Performance Memory Score is
5.8. The same system, with DDR2 1066 (PC8500 memory, overclocked to DDR2
1200 (PC9600) gives a Vista Performance Memory Score of 5.9. More useful
performance tools show the memory performance gained from the HUGE memory
clock increase from DDR2 800 to DDR2 1200 to be only a few percent.

On the other hand, overclocking your Q6600 from 2.4 GHz to 3.2 GHz will show
a system performance increase of 20% or more, while your Vista Performance
CPU score changes not at all.

My recommendation is to leave everything as it is until you run into some
REAL performance barrier and/or until you use and understand more useful
performance analysis tools SO THAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY DETERMINE INCREASES IN
PERFORMANCE. SySoft Sandra (the free version) would be a good tool for a
start.

Another example of the uselessness of the Vista Performance Scores: on a
PCI-e system, a $200 gaming graphics card and a $800 gaming graphics card
will both get a 5.9.

Phil Weldon

Old July 31st 08, 01:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

You are correct the Vista performance numbers have little "TECHNICAL"
value. I'll qualify your statement to mean they are not good
indicators of true performance.

However, I will have supreme bragging rights at the office to say my
home made PC has 5.9s across the board. This will be golden!

I've gotten a copy of memtest burned on a bootable CD. I want to
follow your advice and let memtest run for hours, so I'll do these
tests overnight.

Thanks again,
Julie

_____