Major ISPs dropping Usenet

Old June 17th 08, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
nospam

Default Major ISPs dropping Usenet

"Augustus" wrote in message news:Wny5k.1864$L03.1013@edtnps92...
WELL HERE WE ARE ANOTHER STUPID RUMOR STARTED -- I CHECKED TIME WARNER IN
SOCAL THEY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THEY HAD BEEN ASKED ABOUT THIS AND THAT THIS
IS TOTALLY FALSE-THEY ARE GOING TO LIMIT AND BLOCK SITES THAT HAVE
APPARENT PORN BOTH ADULT AND CHILD -- THEY HAVE NO INTENSION OF BLOCKING
OR REMOVING ANY NEWS GROUPS WITH INFORMATIONAL VALUE--YOU WOULD THINK
PEOPLE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN START THIS NONSENSE

I would think people who post on Usenet would know how to use the Capslock
key, but there you go......

Not to mention his info is absolutely incorrect. Time-Warner is
dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy (which includes THIS group
by the way).

Old June 17th 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
nospam

"nospam" wrote in message . ..
"Augustus" wrote in message news:Wny5k.1864$L03.1013@edtnps92...
WELL HERE WE ARE ANOTHER STUPID RUMOR STARTED -- I CHECKED TIME WARNER IN
SOCAL THEY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THEY HAD BEEN ASKED ABOUT THIS AND THAT THIS
IS TOTALLY FALSE-THEY ARE GOING TO LIMIT AND BLOCK SITES THAT HAVE
APPARENT PORN BOTH ADULT AND CHILD -- THEY HAVE NO INTENSION OF BLOCKING
OR REMOVING ANY NEWS GROUPS WITH INFORMATIONAL VALUE--YOU WOULD THINK
PEOPLE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN START THIS NONSENSE

I would think people who post on Usenet would know how to use the Capslock
key, but there you go......

Not to mention his info is absolutely incorrect. Time-Warner is
dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy (which includes THIS group
by the way).

Sorry, that's Verizon. Time-Warner is dropping *all* of Usenet.

Old June 17th 08, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Geoff

Seems the internet took two hits this month, one is the story about usenet
and the other is about TWC's testing of internet metering in Texas before
going national.

This should kill off any thoughts of video streaming, etc.

The high end package in Texas allows 40 gigs a month. Hell, I surfed and
watched a 12 minute podcast, within 1.5 hours, I had downloaded 1 gig.

Also unclear is if phone usage counts toward the limit, if it does, I guess
TWC and others have figured out a way to suck more money from us.

--g

Old June 17th 08, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
GMAN

In article , lkboop wrote:
nospam wrote:
Time-Warner is dropping all newsgroups. Verizon is keeping most of
the Big-8 but is dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy, which includes this
group.

Keep this in mind for future posts, and you may wish to migrate any
existing discussions to a non-alt.* group.

WELL HERE WE ARE ANOTHER STUPID RUMOR STARTED -- I CHECKED TIME WARNER
IN SOCAL THEY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT THEY HAD BEEN ASKED ABOUT THIS AND THAT
THIS IS TOTALLY FALSE-THEY ARE GOING TO LIMIT AND BLOCK SITES THAT HAVE
APPARENT PORN BOTH ADULT AND CHILD -- THEY HAVE NO INTENSION OF
BLOCKING OR REMOVING ANY NEWS GROUPS WITH INFORMATIONAL VALUE--YOU WOULD
THINK PEOPLE HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN START THIS NONSENSE

Adult porn is not illegal.
Old June 18th 08, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Fishface

nospam wrote:

Sorry, that's Verizon. Time-Warner is dropping *all* of Usenet.

Got my notice from Verizon today. Gonna check my options, but
being stupid is definitely going to cost them money from me.

Old June 19th 08, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
meatnub

On Jun 14, 6:54*am, "nospam" wrote:
Time-Warner is dropping all newsgroups. *Verizon is keeping most of
the Big-8 but is dropping the entire alt.* hierarchy, which includes this
group.

Keep this in mind for future posts, and you may wish to migrate any
existing discussions to a non-alt.* group.

I can't see this being a big factor in killing the usenet. How many
people that have internet access even KNOW about newsgroups?? Does
anyone know what percentage of the internet population uses usenet?

Most everyday people that I know, that I have worked with over the
past 15 years in the financial industry and various temp jobs, either
don't have computers, or if they do, only use it for email and
internet once in awhile.

They work, surf the net, then go home and don't do anything on the
computer. I mean in 15 years I haven't found one person to game with!

And those that do have computers, how many access website forums?

Then of those that access web forums, how many access usenet?

I am sure more kids today now about usenet then say 10 years ago when
you had to be a real computer geek to know what usenet was and how to
access it. Hell ,you still might have to be that geek, if you're not
using Google Groups that is.
Old June 19th 08, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Larry Roberts

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 07:26:21 -0700 (PDT), meatnub
wrote:

On Jun 14, 6:54*am, "nospam" wrote:
[...]

I doubt kids/teens/college-age people know about usenet. I've
been computing since 94', and my neices/nephews, & their friends have
no idea what usenet is. All they know is IM, MySpace, & Limewire (some
P2P).
Old June 19th 08, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
TVeblen

wrote:

On Jun 14, 6:54 am, "nospam" wrote:
[...]

My kids too. If it don't have sound and pictures they can't deal with it.

Old June 20th 08, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

'meatnub' wrote, in part:
| I can't see this being a big factor in killing the usenet. How many
| people that have internet access even KNOW about newsgroups?? Does
| anyone know what percentage of the internet population uses usenet?
_____

If you take a close look a many of the web 'so-called' forums, you will see
much of the content are threads copied from Usenet groups. I Googled on my
Usenet signature, and found that out of the first 65 legitimate hits, 61
were on web forums that evidently just siphon content to maintain the
illusion of relevant activity. Some of these web forums would disappear
into the noise without Usenet.

Phil Weldon

Old June 21st 08, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_2_]

'*TimDaniels' wrote, in part:
I've many times been surprised to see myself
quoted in random forums that I hadn't known existed.

_____

My take is that in the USA there is growing tension between 'how to make
money off the Internet' and 'how to lower costs'. The conditions are in
flux... who knows WHAT the 'next big thing' is? Metering and charging by
bandwidth usage may very well set back future Internet advances by years
(including new ways to make money on the Internet.) Just think, those
Web-based groups that have all the sponsored ads are depending on
Usenet,mainly alt.*, content to draw visitors! ISP's with short enough
attention spans to risk killing ANY important part of the World Wide Web
certainly are, having replaced Usenet access with their own web-based
groups, capable soon thereafter killing those too. The decision of any ISP
to stop carrying alt.* Usenet groups while continuing big 8 Usenet groups is
not really about either pornography or bandwidth usage when cutting access
to binary groups would meet either purpose. If there IS a revenue stream to
be developed from Usenet, then these knee-jerk responses from the ISPs will
have resulted in losing markets.

And yet Verizon is building the widest paths to the customer. The DSL
providers are less affected by bandwidth usage than the cable providers. If
the user is going to be charged by bandwidth usage, isn't that a great
incentive to use ad blockers? An annoying pop-up is one thing, PAYING for
an annoying pop-up is worse. I overclock my CPU while my ISP underclocks
my broadband? Maybe it's all a plot by the newspapers B^)

Phil Weldon

"Timothy Daniels" wrote in message
"Phil Weldon" wrote:
If you take a close look a many of the web 'so-called' forums, you will
see much of the content are threads copied from Usenet groups. I
Googled on my Usenet signature, and found that out of the first 65
legitimate hits, 61 were on web forums that evidently just siphon content
to maintain the illusion of relevant activity. Some of these web forums
would disappear into the noise without Usenet.

Phil Weldon

LOL I concur. I've many times been surprised to see myself
quoted in random forums that I hadn't known existed. These guys
must spend all their time combing through Usenet newsgroups to find
material to plug into their forums and websites. The death of Usenet
would rob these forums of all their material.

*TimDaniels*